The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Porterbuilt Body Drop ???? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=527956)

sxtrail2 06-05-2012 01:18 AM

Porterbuilt Body Drop ????

I saw Porterbuilt has body drops.Has anyone bought and installed one?? How is it? Would you Do it again?? I want to lower my 69' about 1 more inch all the way around.It all ready sits 4.5 in front and 6 in rear on coil and drop spindles..Should i go this route or not??Does anyone have any pics?? O yea how was the install??
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 06-05-2012 04:41 PM

Re: Porterbuilt Body Drop ????

5 Attachment(s)
I got it ....i Love the way it takes it on down !! PINCH FLAT ON THE GROUND , here are a few pics , any questions just give me a shout ! First getting rid of the stock mounts, and adding the new ones

67cheby 06-05-2012 04:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
next ! notching the core support

67cheby 06-05-2012 04:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
next....PINCH ON THE GROUND....and oh, dont forget SLOSH TUBZ !

broey 06-05-2012 10:00 PM

nacho used one too. came out killer!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1333299622

1972BackInBlackC10 06-05-2012 10:01 PM

nice kit

19seventeeCustom 06-05-2012 10:08 PM

oh man, that looks killer......if only I could pull this off while the truck is blown apart
for the LS1 swap lol

502ms 06-06-2012 12:14 PM

this is hot

ddubbs 06-10-2012 01:38 AM

If the truck is apart the kit is very simple to install. It didn't take me long to install on a bare frame. Well worth te money!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimbabwe 06-10-2012 07:41 PM

67cheby; with all the other work you did to the suspension, did you need the body drop to fully lay out, or did you do it because maybe it will leave somethin' extra, not fully use the available drop without it. Plus it's kool.
I ask because I'm using Nate's dropmembers front and rear on my step, which is harder to lay out from what I hear. Just curious.
If this doesn't make sense it may be because I've had a few margaritas while out in the garage and I make 'em strong! :lol:

Jimbabwe 06-10-2012 07:42 PM

I love Broey's tag line.

67cheby 06-10-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimbabwe (Post 5427419)
67cheby; with all the other work you did to the suspension, did you need the body drop to fully lay out, or did you do it because maybe it will leave somethin' extra, not fully use the available drop without it. Plus it's kool.
I ask because I'm using Nate's dropmembers front and rear on my step, which is harder to lay out from what I hear. Just curious.
If this doesn't make sense it may be because I've had a few margaritas while out in the garage and I make 'em strong! :lol:

With just the dropmember your pinch welds are 3/4 inch off of the ground, it give you that last little bit to lay pinch weld !
Posted via Mobile Device

1972BackInBlackC10 06-10-2012 08:41 PM

any pics or info on the box mounts? my truck just has the coils and was wanting to lower it some more but didnt want to change the suspension, plus the roads here are crap so i was thinking about this set up since im down to a bare frame right now

70c10longbed 05-01-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5427529)
With just the dropmember your pinch welds are 3/4 inch off of the ground, it give you that last little bit to lay pinch weld !
Posted via Mobile Device

I seen that you notched the core support, I also read that you have to notch the cab for the trailing arm crossmember and notch something at the front of the cab as well. Did you need to notch any of these areas? This is using porterbuilt dropmembers.
Posted via Mobile Device

PBFAB.COM 05-01-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70c10longbed (Post 6045606)
I seen that you notched the core support, I also read that you have to notch the cab for the trailing arm crossmember and notch something at the front of the cab as well. Did you need to notch any of these areas? This is using porterbuilt dropmembers.
Posted via Mobile Device

You will have to notch the following places:

Core support (so it can set over the frame that extra 3/4")
Cab at firewall to to floor pinch weld (really simple and not too involved)
Cab floor for trailing arm xmember (more involved not terribly difficult)

That's all the notching. :)

ddubbs 05-01-2013 02:39 PM

On mine I had to notch the floor for the trailing arm crossmember. On the front of the cab I had to cut the pinch weld just above the transmission because it won't let the cab come down to the cab mounts. The core support I haven't done yet but when I looked at it I figured I would have to notch it 3/4" plus what ever the thickness if your metal. The other thing that you will have to do is run a high hump trans cover and modify it for the 1" also. Hope this helps out.
Posted via Mobile Device

70c10longbed 05-01-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6045658)

Do you have any pictures of the cab floor for the trailing arm x member? The way I'm reading it is that the cab floor needs to be notched the entire section of the trailing arm x member, is this correct?
Posted via Mobile Device

Narxoleptic Customs 05-02-2013 12:19 AM

How much is the kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

PBFAB.COM 05-02-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narxoleptic Customs (Post 6046819)
How much is the kit?
Posted via Mobile Device

$650 for the complete kit.
Posted via Mobile Device

bguild 05-05-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5418833)
next....PINCH ON THE GROUND....and oh, dont forget SLOSH TUBZ !

http://i43.tinypic.com/t0kg1d.jpg
This is not low enough...

KIDDING..

I will be buying this kit for mine.

bguild 05-05-2013 08:39 PM

67cheby.... Do your slosh tubz bolt up to all the factory mounting locations? It looked as if you have to trim your fenders.. Let me know because i might buy a set.. Are you going to be at GoodGuys in KC?

bguild 05-05-2013 08:41 PM

Okay I guess there isnt a goodguys Kansas City this year.. Maybe the Des Moines Good guys

ulakovic22 05-06-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porterbuilt Street Rods (Post 6045658)

What part of the trailing arm cross member causes the interference? Is it the whole width of the x-member that you have to notch the floor or is it just the center section? Is there any design modification to the x-member that could be done to alleviate the interference?

70c10longbed 05-08-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulakovic22 (Post 6054870)
What part of the trailing arm cross member causes the interference? Is it the whole width of the x-member that you have to notch the floor or is it just the center section? Is there any design modification to the x-member that could be done to alleviate the interference?

X2. I would like to know this info as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

PBFAB.COM 05-08-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulakovic22 (Post 6054870)

I don't think I took a pic of the notch... at least I can't find a pic yet! The "v" on the upper tube of the trailing arm x-member pokes into the cab about an inch. The length of the notch was about 12" wide. I made it a little bigger than it needed to be.

Nate