The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Questions on LS motor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742376)

TCCGRIZ 07-14-2017 07:01 PM

Questions on LS motor

Thanks in advance for your replies .
I am going to a junkyard and look at an LS in a 2002 chevy truck 4x4 with 130000 on a 5.3 to listen and hear it run next week .
If I decide to purchase I must pull the motor myself but I have know idea of what all I need ??
I know the EMC and the harness . Gas pedal?? Or any other misc pieces and parts .
Oh pics would be nice too.

AussieinNC 07-14-2017 07:27 PM

Re: Questions on LS motor

Radiator, all engine accessories and wiring, exhaust manifolds and pipes and cats, all ecm and wiring looms, gas pedal.

What trans do you intend to use?

Try and find a 2WD 4 spped e trans and controller and wiring loom...

You will need aftermarket engine mounts and mounting supports, rear cross member...drive shaft....

Always best to try and find a full donor vehicle and sell unused parts after you are done...

Tquillen 07-14-2017 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 7990993)
Radiator, all engine accessories and wiring, exhaust manifolds and pipes and cats, all ecm and wiring looms, gas pedal.

What trans do you intend to use?

Try and find a 2WD 4 spped e trans and controller and wiring loom...

You will need aftermarket engine mounts and mounting supports, rear cross member...drive shaft....

Always best to try and find a full donor vehicle and sell unused parts after you are done...

This is GREAT advice. I have a friend that just did the LS/4L60E swap, because he heard how easy and cheap it was. The project nickel and dime'd him nearly to death; all he had was an engine and transmission. Having to source all of the rest of the components was a very time consuming and expensive endeavor.

LockDoc 07-14-2017 10:22 PM

-
There is an LS Swaps forum on here that has all of the info you need.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...prune=-1&f=206

LockDoc

s10mk 07-15-2017 07:24 AM

I can't remember if the 5.3l switched to electronic throttle by 2002 or if it was still drive by cable. If it does have electronic throttle, you will need the gas pedal and tac module as well.

SoCoC10 07-15-2017 07:55 AM

Make sure to listen to the engine after a cold start. If you go to see/listen to it and it's warm at all leave and come back another morning to make sure you get a true cold start. You can listen for excessive noise and wear issues; check for cold start low oil pressure warnings on the dash and the notorious sticky lifter ticks. LS engines are known for oil pump pick up "O" ring failures causing low oil pressure at start up and lifter ticks esp after ideling for 10-15 minutes at low RPMs.

gottattooz 07-15-2017 10:08 AM

There are aftermarket intake kits with minimal wiring required to run the coil packs. It just depends on what you're looking to do. Full fuel injection will require a lot more than if you go carbureted.

-Josh

71BUCKET 07-16-2017 04:52 PM

If it's included in price, grab everything you can. Pedal, TAC, ecu, all wiring including power and grounds from battery.

Meangreen1 07-16-2017 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCCGRIZ (Post 7990984)
Thanks in advance for your replies .
I am going to a junkyard and look at an LS in a 2002 chevy truck 4x4 with 130000 on a 5.3 to listen and hear it run next week .
If I decide to purchase I must pull the motor myself but I have know idea of what all I need ??
I know the EMC and the harness . Gas pedal?? Or any other misc pieces and parts .
Oh pics would be nice too.

DM me if you need more info. Done several swaps now. LS1,LS2 twice,LS3.