The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Bolt in steering rack (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=441047)

68 TT 07-16-2011 11:33 PM

Re: Bolt in steering rack

Great product. Thank you very much for putting the money and effort into producing it.

I have run rod ends on the street for years in trailing arms, panhard bars, A-arms & Cal-Trac bars. The best thing you can do is put on a set of grease seals even with a teflon or kevlar lined rod end that doesn't need greased. It will keep the water & road grime out of the rod end and make them last longer.

I have used this product and liked them.

http://www.sealsit.com/rodend.asp

Pretty inexpensive too.

76stepside 07-17-2011 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply Rob... hope you had a good time, cant wait to get my rack!!:chevy:

chapster 07-18-2011 03:35 PM

Rob,

Can you please give an opinion on your R & P fitting with Porterbuilt lower control arms and swaybar.

robnolimit 07-18-2011 03:57 PM

The arm is OK, I'm not sure about the sway bar. Our rack kit puts the tie rod end under the spindle, so you may need to call Nateon this one.

SCOTI 07-18-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 TT (Post 4794315)
Great product. Thank you very much for putting the money and effort into producing it.

I have run rod ends on the street for years in trailing arms, panhard bars, A-arms & Cal-Trac bars. The best thing you can do is put on a set of grease seals even with a teflon or kevlar lined rod end that doesn't need greased. It will keep the water & road grime out of the rod end and make them last longer.

I have used this product and liked them.

http://www.sealsit.com/rodend.asp

Pretty inexpensive too.

I've been looking for these. I knew they were made, but for the life of me I haven't been able to locate the source.
:metal:

Slammed50 07-20-2011 02:17 PM

What kind of rack is used? How available are replacement parts such as inner tre's and boots? Looks like a great addition, definitely getting the wheels turning...
Posted via Mobile Device

robnolimit 07-20-2011 03:37 PM

It is a US manufactured rack. No problems with replacement parts or service parts. The Tie rod ends are available all over. So long term maintanance is a non issue. thanks for the interest.

68 TT 07-20-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4797591)
I've been looking for these. I knew they were made, but for the life of me I haven't been able to locate the source.
:metal:

They make a boot that goes over the whole rod end too but I have never used them.

They seal even better and protect the whole thing, not just the bearing area.

http://www.sealsit.com/rodendboots.asp

robnolimit 07-26-2011 03:28 PM

UPDATE Well, we're a bit behing schedule, but we are making good progress. We decided to make a change to the rack mounting, using a machined billit mount instead of a strap clamp. Thats the goos news, the bad news is we have to make them, and have a urathane isolator custom made. Thats the bad news. The isolators will take another two weeks, we just got a first article sample, and it's good, so now we just have to wait. The best part is, we aren't going to raise the price because of this. We did it for safety, and to make the install easier. So, if you have one on order, be patient, give it a few more weeks. Thanks.

rob32472 07-29-2011 08:38 PM

Rob, what led to the change? Did an issue present in one of the test trucks?

robnolimit 07-30-2011 04:30 PM

Not really. We just got back from a 20 road trip back to Des Moines and Columbus, and we stopped in at 19 shops. I always look to see what tools are being used, and how things are done at shops when we stop in. The first thing I always notice is the instructions, mostly still folded up in the box. Another thing that got my attention was the popularity of 3/8 drive air impacts, and battery/electric impacts. Now, I have these tools, but I don't use them a whole lot on assembly. So, all the way home I thought about this. The strap clamps on the rack are to be torqued to 40 in/lbs. (not very much), and if over torqued, can compress the slide bushing in the rack. The more I thought about it, the more that the posibility of a problem seamed too high. So, I wanted to solve the problem, before there was one. None of the test trucks have had an issue, but we were schooled by our rack builder on the internal workings of these racks, and what we could, and could not do. This seams to be the right thing to do. Steering performance is the same, but the posibilty of any problems is reduced. We think thats worth a few weeks lead time.

68 TT 07-30-2011 07:38 PM

Good idea to make it more fool proof. It will be worth the little extra wait to get a better designed clamping system that will prevent accidental damage to the rack.

76 stepside 08-27-2011 11:00 AM

Hows the progress coming on the racks Rob?

76stepside 08-27-2011 11:03 AM

Hows the progress coming on the racks Rob?

robnolimit 08-28-2011 06:41 PM

We are waiting on the last puzzle piece, the rubber isolator for the billit clamp. We are expecting these this coming week. Had to have them made. We have 25 kits ready to go as soon as the isolators show up.

76stepside 08-28-2011 07:18 PM

Excellent cant wait I feel like a little kid waiting for christmas!:cool:

Custom 68 10-11-2011 12:29 PM

alright all you guys that purchased let us know how this upgrade is. I still want to move to the rack and pinion but budget has been tight. Let us know your initial thoughts from the driving standpoint.
Thanks
Dave

rt hubbard 10-11-2011 11:06 PM

so Rob hows the progress comming on the racks i have one preordered looking forward to getting it an by the way i receved the panhand bar fit well but had to cut a spacer for to fill the gab between the c-notch an frame. i have a cnc lazar so the spacer was no problem but something you might concider for all the bolt on guys.

robnolimit 10-12-2011 03:38 PM

DON'T SHOOT !!!! :) I know I'm behind on shipping these out. We are really trying to send them out 100%, so that everyone is really happy. No limit has a reputation of sending out 'poor' instructions, I know it, so we're just finishing up the final details. We are including fitting specs, pressure specs, bolt torque specs, warrantee service info, ...... . It's all in the details.

robnolimit 10-12-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt hubbard (Post 4948527)
so Rob hows the progress comming on the racks i have one preordered looking forward to getting it an by the way i receved the panhand bar fit well but had to cut a spacer for to fill the gab between the c-notch an frame. i have a cnc lazar so the spacer was no problem but something you might concider for all the bolt on guys.

??? Hmm, the kit should inclue a 3/16 spacer already. It should have been in the hardware pack. I just checked the bin, and all the hardware kits we have are complete. Sorry if yours was not. let me know if you need anything. Thanks for the order. Glad to know everything fitted up good with the panhard rod.

dnd1978 10-26-2011 09:27 PM

Rob,

any updates on the kits

Thanks
Dillon

robnolimit 10-28-2011 01:43 PM

FINALY We are boxing today, shipping today and monday. Thanks for waiting. BTW, introductory pricing is now over. Congrats to those who got a great deal.

gringoloco 10-28-2011 03:23 PM

Yay and boo. Ready to hear some feedback on the kits from members, but sorry I missed out on the deal...

SBTork 10-28-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4978596)
Yay and boo. Ready to hear some feedback on the kits from members, but sorry I missed out on the deal...

x2

68GMCCustom 10-28-2011 06:33 PM

x3