The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   pondering the thought is it worth it? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=789024)

diveplane 06-21-2019 09:41 PM

pondering the thought is it worth it?

was thinking about in a year or so swapping my v6 vortec to a 350 is it really worth the swap, because after looking at the stock specs its not a super boost in horsepower or really torque for that matter?.

so my question is is it worth doing it, keep in mind am looking to swap to a 94 power plant 5.7 so i can try interchange some of the accessories onto the v8.
sure some stuff is compatible.

dont get me wrong i love the v6 it's a workhorse motor. never make them the same like that again, chevy had passion back then, i dont think the trucks today have the same appeal.

shifty 06-21-2019 10:45 PM

Re: pondering the thought is it worth it?

Anything is possible. Depending on the year, it could even be remotely simple.

I'd only ask one question: What are you looking to accomplish? Figuring that out will help to reveal whether it's worth it.

Certainly, there must be some drive to want to make the swap. Once you find that, it'll be easy to weigh the value against the cost.

Palf70Step 06-22-2019 08:58 AM

Like Shifty mentioned, any reason for the change? You'll need new computer/ECU Chip possibly all or at least some of the accessories, radiator, exhaust, and the engine. My V6 did everything my V8s did just not as easily. Unless you had the engine, and the V6 is need of replacement, I would probably go with another V6 for a daily driver.

diveplane 06-22-2019 11:07 AM

i think your right v6 is a great little motor . also i had a buddy has a 6.0 04, he says it's killing him at the gas pump his daily commute, stick with the v6 he said they are great motors. reason for the post was getting others 2 cent inputs on it, thx ..

Palf70Step 06-22-2019 12:29 PM

You can always improve the V6 with some tweaks. Since yours is earlier, you can always go to high flow cats and better exhaust. I know my 02 (and newer) ones had dual cats. Making it true duals greatly improved mine both in drvieability and mileage, except when I always pushed the loud pedal to hear the good sounds it made! :lol: :rolleyes:

diveplane 06-22-2019 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8546599)
You can always improve the V6 with some tweaks. Since yours is earlier, you can always go to high flow cats and better exhaust. I know my 02 (and newer) ones had dual cats. Making it true duals greatly improved mine both in drvieability and mileage, except when I always pushed the loud pedal to hear the good sounds it made! :lol: :rolleyes:

yea i have a complete new exhaust system on my truck, stock but only change i did was a nice flowmaster super 40 on mine. makes a nice rumble.

Tom 06-22-2019 05:36 PM

Yes its worth it. The sound of the exhaust alone is worth it.

diveplane 07-04-2019 05:48 PM

what would be the best way to go guys doing this, find a legit 1994 350, keep in mind i wanna try cross over some parts to the v8 if i do go for it , after my boats restored though.

Palf70Step 07-04-2019 10:45 PM

The up to 95 350 would be the easiest. Noty sure what all you can cross over from your V6 though. If I was going to go thru all that with computers needing changed and all, I would go with a 5.3 or 4.8 LS. The 4.8 will do some very decent mileaghe too, probably as good or slightly better than the 4.3

special-K 07-06-2019 06:52 AM

The only way I would do that swap would be if I got a deal on a complete donor 350 truck of same year, or at least exact same components as your year. Nothing wrong with the 4.3, a great motor that lasts

straight6chevyguy 07-10-2019 01:46 PM

I would keep the v6 but I'm a six banger nut so I guess I'm biased.:lol:

Tom 07-11-2019 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diveplane (Post 8546374)
was thinking about in a year or so swapping my v6 vortec to a 350 is it really worth the swap, because after looking at the stock specs its not a super boost in horsepower or really torque for that matter?.

Just thought of this. Standerd supercharger kits are said to be about a 40% improvement in power. If you have a 190hp v6, that would put you to 266hp. That's 11hp more then a stock vortec 350. So the gain is almost supercharger amounts of extra power. Thats a super boost if you ask me.