The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   What suspension do I have? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735025)

Texas66 04-09-2017 12:16 PM

What suspension do I have?

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought my '66 SWB FS and getting started on the rebuild. The front suspension had a set of Belltech 2.5" drop spindles and springs. I decided to remove those and go back with stock height spindles and a heavier load spring for the 454 under the hood. I installed new upper and lower ball joints and when I put it all together the "tip" of the upper control arm is rubbing the top of the spindle. Hopefully my pic will post and where the two spots are rubbing can be seen.
So I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong spindles? Wrong upper ball joints? Is my upper and lower arms are not stock?
Your help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.

SCOTI 04-09-2017 02:35 PM

Re: What suspension do I have?

Check the clearance w/weight on the vehicle. They often do rub when extended.

Texas66 04-09-2017 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Scoti. I used the floor jack to see if I could compress it enough to hopefully see it get some separation. No luck with that.
Not sure why the pic is sideways

68Stepbed 04-10-2017 08:45 AM

Check the part number on your ball joints. Either the spindle or the ball joints may be 73-87 parts. Or possibly 71-72. It looks like mismatched parts for sure.

Texas66 04-15-2017 11:44 AM

SCOTI and 68Stepbed
Thanks for your input!

Finally got time to work on this again. I called McGaughy's to make sure I was shipped the right spindle and see what they thought.
The customer service there was really great. They also mentioned the same as SCOTI did about putting the truck down to see if that corrects the rubbing. Simulating that with the floor jack doesn't do that.
After taking a few measurements and sending them a few pictures it was determined the spindle is right for my '66 and Brandt gave me the outer tie rod p/n I need for this spindle.

I ordered the tie rods and they came in yesterday. The bolt and taper is a match for the spindle but,,,,, the threaded end of the new tie rod is a smaller diameter than the previous one, and smaller than the currently installed inner tie rod and adjusting sleeve.
I'm not aware of an adjusting sleeve or an adapter to tie different size tie rods together like I have. Please let me know if there is.

Since I'm new to learning steering linkage I'm thinking that if I order the inner tie rod to match the new smaller thread outer, I may then find the new inner won't fit the center link, etc, etc.

At this point it seems I can either change out the entire steering linkage to match the new spindles I have.
Or
Find out how to determine what year the current steering linkage is and then find a stock height spindle to match and also fit the current control arms which I believe are stock.
I'm not sure of the best way to do this other than taking parts off and matching them at the auto parts store. I probably should have done that before ordering the spindels but hey. Education isn't free and thank God for forums like this.:metal: