The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   What a real bad day looks like. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=815196)

Russell Ashley 12-02-2020 10:26 AM

What a real bad day looks like.

1 Attachment(s)
Brand new ship on first voyage, loaded with over three thousand new vehicles inside. It rolled over after getting out of the channel and hitting a sand bar. This happened over a year ago near Brunswick, Ga and is now being cut into sections to be scrapped. That silver suv in the upper left of the pic is a new Suburban. I would still take that new Suburban as it was on the top side and not in the water. Google Golden Ray to see more pics.

72 tigger 12-02-2020 06:47 PM

Re: What a real bad day looks like.

Pretty crazy!

Steeveedee 12-02-2020 07:47 PM

I bet the port pilot lost (or should have) his license. My first ship in the Navy was the USS Higbee, DD-806. I got stuck in a transit barracks waiting for her to dock, as she was leaving the Philippines from a West Pacific Cruise and ran aground on a sand bar. Damaged the sonar dome and bent one of the prop shafts. Some of the fleet tugs were damaged when trying to pull her off. Spent a bit of time in the yards, there.

truckster 12-02-2020 07:51 PM

That's quite a picture, and it's quite a story to read.

cwcarpenter98 12-02-2020 08:00 PM

I got to see the ship before they started cutting it up when my family and I were down on St. Simons Island during the GA vs. FL football weekend last year. It was pretty crazy to see it tilted over like that

67ChevyRedneck 12-02-2020 08:27 PM

Looks like that fire got pretty big at one point too?

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-03-2020 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckster (Post 8843923)
That's quite a picture, and it's quite a story to read.

Yep. They believe the wreck was caused by unstable cargo and ballast tank(s). Doesn't sound like a captain's fault to me, looks closer to engineers and management.

Not a total loss, most of them were Hyundai's;) Imagine the cost of that single accident.

67ChevyRedneck 12-03-2020 05:53 PM

One thing I learned today was that the ship was going to Boston. Never paid attention to that before. I had always assumed they were headed over seas.

I understand water shipping from coast to coast, but I never would have thought about shipping cars from GA to MA by boat, I would have thought they all went that short of a distance by train/truck.

special-K 12-03-2020 06:22 PM

True, I think of across an ocean to another continent.

GOPAPA 12-03-2020 06:30 PM

How about that chain cutting device used to cut the ship into chunks ?,,I would like to see that done by being there ,, the noise ,the sparks ,the what ever else happens with a chain saw like they used.

weq92f 12-03-2020 06:38 PM

Yeah...caught a TV news story on this with some close up views of some of the carnage. I'm sure each vehicle is wet so it's a big mess.

-klb

57taskforce 12-03-2020 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8844416)
One thing I learned today was that the ship was going to Boston. Never paid attention to that before. I had always assumed they were headed over seas.

I understand water shipping from coast to coast, but I never would have thought about shipping cars from GA to MA by boat, I would have thought they all went that short of a distance by train/truck.

Earlier today I read that it was headed up the coast for a stop and then off to the Middle East to deliver.

truckster 12-03-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8844406)
Yep. They believe the wreck was caused by unstable cargo and ballast tank(s). Doesn't sound like a captain's fault to me, looks closer to engineers and management.

Not a total loss, most of them were Hyundai's;) Imagine the cost of that single accident.

The story I read said $80 million for the ship and another $80 million for the cargo.

Sevens 12-03-2020 10:28 PM

Wow! What a mess!

I'd hate to be their insurance company.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-03-2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8844416)

They wish they did:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sevens (Post 8844563)
Wow! What a mess!

I'd hate to be their insurance company.

I'd hate to see their next premium. Really they'll pass some onto other companies as well. End of the day the middle-class & poor pay for it.

Dieselwrencher 12-03-2020 11:08 PM

Man, that is a bad day! It probably took a couple to get it back to the docks didn't it?

Tom 12-04-2020 01:48 PM

That's also what a really great day looks like for that salvage company.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-04-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 8844797)
That's also what a really great day looks like for that salvage company.

:lol::lol::lol:One man's loss is........

dieseldawg142 12-05-2020 04:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
wow, deja vu...
back in 2006 the Cougar Ace had a similar mis-hap.
almost 5000 new mazda's down the tubes...
Attachment 2064991

68bowtie 12-05-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 8844438)
How about that chain cutting device used to cut the ship into chunks ?,,I would like to see that done by being there ,, the noise ,the sparks ,the what ever else happens with a chain saw like they used.

Me too, I bet the whole operation is awesome, like that giant lifting device up top, seeing it lifted onto the barge would be cool. I don’t care how experienced the crane operator is, that’s some major pucker factor.

Ol Blue K20 12-05-2020 12:36 PM

I would like to see machines and watch them being used. I hope someone gets video and posts it.

Boog 12-06-2020 10:05 AM

The highest reported number of vehicles on board I saw was 4200 Hyundais. I can't imagine getting that many vehicles on any ship. Wow. Since there looks to be minimal hull damage it may have been a ballast error that caused it to list over. Two ships passing in a narrow channel at the time. The captain is said to still be commanding ships. I'd also like to see video of that massive cutting chain operation going on.

Axle 12-06-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8845254)
I would like to see machines and watch them being used. I hope someone gets video and posts it.

Its quite unexciting, short clip here, randomn pops and bangs as the chain gets hoisted back 'n forth;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYGg3dvT-dI

pictures showing the chain;
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...salvage-watch/

from an onlooker boat;
https://youtu.be/ifMT70bM1G0?t=30

Ol Blue K20 12-06-2020 02:45 PM

Thanks Axle, it may not be exciting, but it is very interesting. Thanks again.

special-K 12-14-2020 11:50 AM

I guess exciting and interesting are two different things. Thanks for sharing. It's pretty amazing how the chain rips through it