The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fourth door (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779256)

CG 01-10-2019 09:08 AM

Fourth door

Ive been looking at a lot of build threads using burbs for conversions or just plain burb builds. I cant figure out the deal with adding a fourth door. I guess its sort of a practical thing, I get that its also a mod to be proud of if you pull it off. Personally I have always loved the three doors, because its unique without being way out there.

Lieferson 01-10-2019 02:15 PM

Re: Fourth door

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8440388)
Ive been looking at a lot of build threads using burbs for conversions or just plain burb builds. I cant figure out the deal with adding a fourth door. I guess its sort of a practical thing, I get that its also a mod to be proud of if you pull it off. Personally I have always loved the three doors, because its unique without being way out there.

I think most people believe they should have just came with a 4th door originally, and to a non enthusiast they would probably think it is supposed to have 4 not 3, but i agree i like the unique 3 doors. I mean ill probably never sit in the back seat anyways, so why do i care if its convenient for my passengers :lol: Now if i were going to convert a burb to a crew cab pick up, now thats a different story..

Killer Bee 01-10-2019 02:35 PM

curb side rear passenger access with driver only street side access isn't isolated only to the 67-72 burbs..

other people movers later adopted that configuration as well.. family safety? cost savings?

I liked them so much, I bought two of them :)

HO455 01-10-2019 04:50 PM

Adding the 4th door would sure cut down on the number of conversations I have about my Burban. Like the one on Monday when the body shop estimator asked me why I went through all the trouble to weld up the back door. He gave me the "Oh BS" look when I said all 67-72's came that way. :lol: I would sure miss that part of owning a 3 door if I were to add the 4th door.

AD&Sons 01-16-2019 02:49 PM

My favorite is people think it's ultra rare to have a 3 door. Don't think they believe me when I tell them they are all 3 door.

Street Smart 01-17-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD&Sons (Post 8444633)
My favorite is people think it's ultra rare to have a 3 door. Don't think they believe me when I tell them they are all 3 door.

All the time!

CarolinaHD 01-17-2019 10:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
4 door "concept" dated 1965

CG 01-19-2019 09:59 AM

Neat pics, don't think Ive ever seen em before. Thanks for posting.

Burb 01-24-2019 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ya I am glad they didn't split the rear window

Burb 01-24-2019 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another pic of the elusive 4th door idea

Bigdav160 01-24-2019 01:16 PM

I am not much of a TV watcher but they're doing a fourth door on this crew cab - Suburban conversion on 'Texas Metal'. Their metal man hacked up the body and described how it's no trouble making a fourth door from ready available patch panels.

I just might have to watch the rest of that episode to see what he does with the door jams.

https://api.discovery.com/v1/images/...0c2356a645b4b4

Dieselwrencher 01-24-2019 06:30 PM

:agree:

Same here. I would take that hauler to start with for sure.

Madkidd007 01-25-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burb (Post 8449824)
ya I am glad they didn't split the rear window

I could be starting one hell of an argument here but I think this is a fake. Look at the split window and then the split frame, yet the lower portion is one piece all the way across. I could see a split window but why would the sheet metal be split too unless it had to swinging upper doors and then you would need hinges on each side. Sorry to sidetrack from the original post. But I’m mixed myself, building a crew and I think I decided to build a 4th door but with no exterior handle to pay respect to the old ways of passengers out the passenger side.
Posted via Mobile Device

Killer Bee 01-25-2019 06:27 PM

those aren't fake, rather R&D mockups.. notice the dates of the photos, 2 years prior to that body style release ;)

as far as the split window, notice the offset margin at center where RH overlaps LH.. probably was a working model..

also notice barn door hinges or dummies on left side of gate and hatch that don't belong..

maybe working on two way lower gate and hatch like the old wagons??

who knows what ideas went around the floor during development, all we do know is what was eventually released :)

cucvzuz 02-02-2019 08:57 PM

Im in the process of doing alot of body work on my 70. The more i get into it i think thry originally planned on having a 4th door and then changed gears and went with 3.

AnotherWs6 02-12-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AD&Sons (Post 8444633)

Me three, lol.

I do think it's a pain not having 4 doors though. Also took me awhile to stop going to open the door that didnt exist. "Oh yeeeaaahhh....only has three"