The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shipping damage (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765553)

dan s 06-13-2018 09:17 AM

Shipping damage

When purchasing parts from board members, and receiving several damaged parts in the same box( due to poor packaging according to FedEx.). What to do? I messaged seller with photos and the fact that fedex is saying inadequate packing (I agree) he responded with claims of good packing. Am I just SOL ? What are your thoughts?

Mudflat 06-13-2018 09:45 AM

Re: Shipping damage

Request refund from seller minus shipping cost.

Ol Blue K20 06-13-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan s (Post 8280454)
When purchasing parts from board members, and receiving several damaged parts in the same box( due to poor packaging according to FedEx.). What to do? I messaged seller with photos and the fact that fedex is saying inadequate packing (I agree) he responded with claims of good packing. Am I just SOL ? What are your thoughts?

There's a section called "member dealings". I would post it up there and include the members name etc....if you paid by pay pal file a complaint and get your money back.

dmjlambert 06-13-2018 09:54 AM

We are a community and some members have different opinions on what is good enough. I bought an A/C control from a member that said he had a good one, and when it arrived the internal controls and levers were completely gone, the entire unit was stripped of internal parts and useless. It's in a box around here somewhere, I'm not sure why I didn't throw it away. Some times I just say dammit and move on.

davepl 06-13-2018 10:11 AM

If the seller won't stand behind it you're SOL I think. Even if insured, if self-packed improperly there's no recovery I don't think. A non-inflammatory post with facts and photos in Member Dealings is probably a good start.

As for what's "good enough", if it protects it in shipping, that's "good enough!", but if it doesn't, then it isn't.

VWNate1 06-13-2018 10:39 AM

This can be a problem ~ I too have been clearly ripped off by being sold junk that wasn't honestly described .

I ALWAYS give the seller one chance to own up and make full restitution before making a public comment .

Not speaking up means they're rewarded and encourage to cheat others .

OTOH, I've given away lots of good used parts and some here have returned the favor so don't go off half cocked .

A1971Blazer 06-13-2018 10:47 AM

Not sure if it was or not.....but I always insure every shipment....coming or going...

davepl 06-13-2018 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8280514)
Not sure if it was or not.....but I always insure every shipment....coming or going...

Ever make any claims? How's it go when the shipper packed it themselves in their own box?

VWNate1 06-13-2018 11:11 AM

Re: Shipping Claims

I just got hosed on this, the USPS says the delivered an Oakie Bushing Tool I'd purchased but I never saw it and they refuse to honor the insurance .

$60 flushed, I'd only bought the damned thing to help out another old trucker who needed to use it, once .

A1971Blazer 06-13-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 8280523)
Ever make any claims? How's it go when the shipper packed it themselves in their own box?

in most cases, the container/box has sustained visible damage...thus making the shipper liable for damage
I heard it said once that UPS was the largest owner of metal toolboxes...:lol:

Mike (Asheville) 06-13-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A1971Blazer (Post 8280546)
in most cases, the container/box has sustained visible damage...thus making the shipper liable for damage
I heard it said once that UPS was the largest owner of metal toolboxes...:lol:

Yep, and if the box itself sustained no visible damage, the party who packed it is at fault.

kwmech 06-13-2018 12:17 PM

I do a lot of shipping with my business. Any time something comes up damaged they always place the blame on the customer for bad packing. doesn't matter if the package looks like it was run over and drug 2 blocks behind the truck. Deny, deny, deny. I'm about 90% getting my money back. Theft (aka porch pirates) are my biggest foe. I try to put that back on my customer for not providing a secure drop point, work or a neighbor. They know when they have a problem in their hood. USPS is the worst for theft, internally and externally especially around the holidays

cypressbog 06-13-2018 04:00 PM

Bring it up to a Mod. They can handle internal member disputes.

LockDoc 06-13-2018 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan s (Post 8280454)

I don't find any posts where you bought the parts. I see where you have asked a couple of members about parts but no actual purchases. Did you purchase the parts through PM?

LockDoc

dan s 06-13-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8280711)
I don't find any posts where you bought the parts. I see where you have asked a couple of members about parts but no actual purchases. Did you purchase the parts through PM?

LockDoc

Yes I intiated it in the post and finalized in PM.

Jason Banks 06-14-2018 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8280568)
I do a lot of shipping with my business. Any time something comes up damaged they always place the blame on the customer for bad packing. doesn't matter if the package looks like it was run over and drug 2 blocks behind the truck. Deny, deny, deny. I'm about 90% getting my money back. Theft (aka porch pirates) are my biggest foe. I try to put that back on my customer for not providing a secure drop point, work or a neighbor. They know when they have a problem in their hood. USPS is the worst for theft, internally and externally especially around the holidays

This strikes a nerve with me. I too ship a lot for my business.

My favorite story of them denying my claim is. They said the package was empty and they were denying the claim because it was improperly packaged. I told them they don't even know what was in the package, how can they have any clue that it was improperly packaged. They approved the claim....liars....

dan s 06-16-2018 12:12 PM

I got good news today! FedEx decided to man up after all. Thanks to everybody for their comments and support. I was just beginning talks with the seller about possible partial refund I sent him some more pictures but thankfully I got this settlement before it went any further. Again I don't think he did anything terribly wrong it was a good experience other than the damage. Thanks for hearing me out

VWNate1 06-16-2018 01:29 PM

FedEx Foolishness

Glad to hear this ! .

My latest thing was, they claimed to have gotten permission to leave irreplaceable parts on my porch, I never saw the package and thought it stolen .

The seller turned up the heat and Lo ! it seems that although their tracking page said 'delivered' , "someone up stairs signed for it" (upstairs @ Fed Ex), and it <magically> appeared..... box un opened .

Whew .

jjzepplin 06-16-2018 04:05 PM

I always pay by paypal. If nothing else they get in trouble with them and can get shut down. No more paypal. That can hurt if you do any ebay business. I have had to file a claim with them before as the body part I got was "usable" It was a piece of rust covered in bondo and could not be used for wall art. This was from a "High Octane" seller here. On the good side, they made it good and I tossed the part in the trash bin. On the other hand I have had fellas throw in extra parts and there are several threads on here that guys and gals offer free parts for shipping charges. And not ebay style shipping charges.

mike16 06-16-2018 10:10 PM

you may be out of luck but raise a stink. Poor packing is the fault of the person shipping. Everything plus shipping too.