The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=391741)

sparkydog 08-07-2010 08:41 PM

Re: Halfbreed - GMC Z71 + IH Extd Cab

3 Attachment(s)
More pics.
In the first pic I narrowed the depth of the blue sections 3/8" so they will mate up with the depth of the white sections.

After getting this far along on the PS door, I realized I will probably have to use the entire window frame off the white truck instead of what I have in the pictures. The way I have it mocked now, the frame fits the doorway better which means the gaskets would work correctly down the road when I get to that stage. However the shape of the window opening now flares outward as the window goes up - which won't work at all. I would rather have a functioning window in the door and figure out a way to mod the door so the seal works.

sparkydog 08-08-2010 10:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a better illustration of my window frame issue. In the top picture I have the window frame from the Pup (blue) for the rear side of the frame. This is because it fits the doorway better and is set up for the weather stripping and pinch weld cover in the doorway. But it also creates a slightly irregular shaped glass shape - which I exaggerated in the sketch.

The bottom picture shows the TAll window side which was obviously designed for the rear door and therefore the window shape is square. But it does not fit the PUp door frame and therefore I will have to modify something in this area in order to get the weather gasket and pinch weld cover strip to fit.

pickup67man 08-08-2010 12:48 PM

Yeah, a window that is larger on top would be hard to roll down.

pickup67man 08-08-2010 01:00 PM

What if you used a small corner window to create the correct shape opening for the roll down window. Using the channel from the front wing window. It doesn't have to open like the back of a Suburban.
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...DSCN1485-1.jpg

sparkydog 08-08-2010 10:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Started prepping the white and blue door pieces for the change over to the full-white window opening. Of course I had to find another wasp nest just because it was time. Did the grafting and started tacking.

sparkydog 08-08-2010 10:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Part of the deal to get the white window frame to fit the blue doorway was the white frame has an extra feature that the blue does not. So I was glad I had saved some small, used cutoff disks and could make some slits in tight areas and SFH the lip away so that the frame would fit up against the blue doorway.

Got the back section of the door tacked together and then began mating up the forward and rear sections.

sparkydog 08-08-2010 10:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm nearly there with the PS door and basically happy with the results. These last three posts took me ALLLLLLL day today from 9am to 5pm and I don't remember staring much. I expect the DS door to go much faster because I will have a template to measure off of.

I still have some more cutting of the exterior skin and some redo's to get the door straighter but I think I'm back with my game on now! :metal:

67ChevyRedneck 08-08-2010 11:43 PM

Awesome. Glad you got the door figured out.

sparkydog 08-11-2010 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the exterior skin on the PS door cut, fit and tacked. The door handle is back on and the latch works nice. Even though there are several boo-boos that I can spot I have to say I am pleased with my 1st attempt. I guess I'm about 20hrs into it now. I should be able to start on the DS rear door now and hopefully that will go much faster now that I have a role model.

Effeckt 08-11-2010 11:30 AM

Your truck has made amazing progress. I've been following this thread since the beginning and you have done some great work to this thing in a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing the progress unveil!

sparkydog 08-11-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DorianGray (Post 4083145)
Nice work so far. I look forward to seeing more of the truck. And by the way you've got some skills with metal keep up the good work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Dylan (Post 4083150)
Looks great! Those old IH's are cool!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry (Post 4089821)
Nice work man. Lookin good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 4104985)
truck is coming along nicely, you have done some fine work my friend, be proud of what you have done in this truck, it just keeps gettin closer everyday!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63chevyll (Post 4107842)
wow, good build. you are doing a fine job

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 4119959)
Way cool man ... just read thru the entire build ... Awesome !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effeckt (Post 4133686)
Your truck has made amazing progress. I've been following this thread since the beginning and you have done some great work to this thing in a short amount of time. Looking forward to seeing the progress unveil!

Thanks everyone (and anybody I missed) for the words of encouragement. I always forget to acknowledge you guys because I get caught up with just posting my pics. But I want you all to know I read these and it is playing as much a role in helping my project as the MIG wire and the flapper disks! Thanks!:metal:

Edit: I forgot to thank:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 89muscletruck (Post 4007441)
way to go!

who has also been here from the start of the thread!

sparkydog 08-13-2010 11:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Homie got 4 doors now!!!

sparkydog 08-13-2010 11:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
...and a whole lotta details to still take care of!

Palf70Step 08-14-2010 03:33 AM

Very nice!!! Way beyond my skill and brain level.

low'n slow 08-14-2010 10:20 PM

a little bondo and she'll be done :lol:

Effeckt 08-15-2010 12:34 AM

Sweet!! I see the end result on the horizon!

sparkydog 08-15-2010 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a profile gage to get the contour of the cab roof radius and then used this to find the corresponding section of the TAll roof where I should cut. Then I began to wrap up the long-dormant task of finishing up the patch of the roof where I cut it too short.

sparkydog 08-15-2010 06:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Center section tacked in and some rough flapper work to spot any problems. I cut a few sections free and re-tacked and then started stitch welding.

After a grind down and some dolly work I am happy with my learning curve and the results I am getting.

67ChevyRedneck 08-15-2010 06:54 PM

Now that came out really great!

Effeckt 08-15-2010 11:34 PM

I would be happy with the results too.. Looks great!

sparkydog 08-23-2010 12:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some updated photos. Even though I started some body work ahead of sequence there is a method to my madness. Most of the bondo and primer that I just did is temporary and will come back off soon. But I think I have the truck looking mostly like a resto and less like a Frankenstein.

Palf70Step 08-23-2010 05:30 AM

Very nice. Pop in some glass and your ready to cruise!

sparkydog 08-30-2010 09:58 PM

Got it titled, plated and tagged today!

Effeckt 08-30-2010 10:04 PM

Sweet Sparky! Now you can cruise in style.

67ChevyRedneck 08-31-2010 01:32 PM

I bet you're grinning from ear to ear!!!

Find a good trans shop and get her rolling!!!!!!! Just keep your mouth closed so you don't get bugs in your teeth :sexy: