The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   sealer / primer and when (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=728401)

mgore68 01-24-2017 07:23 PM

sealer / primer and when

As some of you know I am doing my first paint job and nervous as a cat about screwing it up. I have done a lot of sanding and will not be far from shooting some primer. I do have some bare metal showing but it's in the dry and looking fine staying inside and some what climate controlled.

I don't want to start spraying until I can spray the whole thing or at least most of it. Do you spray sealer and then add high build to do your block sanding or high build, block sand and then seal when you have it ready to paint??? Maybe just block sand it first using the old paint and a light guide coat?? whats my next step? The truck is pretty dang straight bu until I get a long block on it I really won't know.

I'm gonna worry y'all some but I greatly appreciate the advice.

hugger6933 01-24-2017 07:50 PM

Re: sealer / primer and when

Sealer is the LAST thing before paint IF you need it. More on that later, but a lot of people use epoxy primer as a primer and as a sealer. Most people don't know though that it requires different mixing stuff and mixing ratios and whatnot to make it a nonsanding sealer.
Anyplace you have bare metal you need the protection that the epoxy primer gives however it has NO filling properties what so ever so you will need the high build primer to go on after the epoxy. Now if you do it soon enough you can just spray the high build on to the epoxy without any sanding.
Now sealer may be something that you don't need IMO. The last time I used sealer was 2009 and I was using it as it original intent to hold down or "seal" other types of paint down while newer types of paint was being applied. Now if your just scuffing some parts and leaving the OE finish on and then you could def benefit from a sealer. Holler at me if I can help any more. Happy sanding. Jim

Foot Stomper 01-24-2017 07:53 PM

(while Jim posted his reply.. haha)

The first step is always epoxy primer. This is critical in keeping it from surface or flash rusting now, and for it's entire life.

Once it's primed with epoxy, it can sit until you get to it with the filler and then high build then paint.

Don't get all caught up in the "which epoxy is best" routine as it doesn't matter which one you choose. I suggest you go to your local paint supply shop and counter chat with the staff about which one and how to use it.

Read the technical data sheets on all products you want to use and follow them precisely and you shouldn't have any failures.

Good luck and please post pictures... we all like pictures! :metal:

mgore68 01-25-2017 07:12 PM

Thank' for the replies. This gives me a direction to head. I went this morning and picked up my stuff from the machine shop for the engine so now I have got to get busy. That new engine on the stand needs a place to live.

GR8-68 01-31-2017 09:40 PM

Yes, 3m cups work great until you forget the ring. We use them at work a lot.
( cabinet shop ) looking good so far though :chevy:

mgore68 07-14-2017 01:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I thought I would post up some pics in here also. I have done a ton of work on my cab and finally got some primer shot on it last weekend. I found out my cousin worked for LKQ and he has been helping and giving pointers as I go along. I also wound up buying new front fenders and doors to replace the ones that were original due to some rust through. He has me doing the high build first and the sealer at the end and I am just doing as told so some may not agree.

I finally got my project link in the signature if y'all want to check it out.

Oh, I know y'all like pic's and if you see anything jump out at you please speak up. I am a newbie.