The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Moving steering column (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748208)

superfragl 10-10-2017 04:02 PM

Moving steering column

Hi all, I am new here. I recently bought a 53 GMC 1/2 ton that was disassembled by previous owner.
I installed IFS with rack and pinion steering, 94 LT1 engine and 4l60E transmission.
I have a flaming river steering column that I am going to use. If I mount it in stock location the steering shaft exits right where exhaust manifold is. All I need is to move the column 3/4" to the left - that way it will not interfere with exhaust and will be centered between the gauges. What do you think? Will the steering wheel sit too close to the door? I want to use original steering wheel.

Dave0 10-10-2017 04:42 PM

Re: Moving steering column

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my set up with the column centered in the dash and existing hole. This is a 5.3 with Camaro 6.2 manifold on it, the hug the block more... Are you sure the engine isnt sitting too far to the left? Or your manifolds are too wide? (I had 5.3 truck manifolds on it and they were too wide) Pics might help...

superfragl 10-11-2017 11:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I guess, 5.7 engine is a bit wider than 5.3.
Here`s what it looks like with steering column moved about 3/4" to the left. The engine is centered between the frame (see how the manifolds clear the frame).
Attachment 1698083
Attachment 1698087
Attachment 1698082

mr48chev 10-12-2017 08:05 PM

It takes some changing around to have it look right under the dash but 3/4 inch might not be that bad.

On the wheel thing you will probably be running a smaller wheel than stock anyhow so it shouldn't be that bad. I had my stock column offset that way with the V8 install years ago and outside of scooting clooser to the door to center yourself on the wheel it wasn't that bad.

superfragl 10-13-2017 11:42 AM

I will be using original steering wheel. I installed the wheel last night and installed the door - to make sure the setup feels comfortable. Did not even notice 3/4 offset. Feels fine. In the end, if there is a problem, I can always go smaller steering wheel. I like the original one though.
On the side note - while installing the door I have found that previous owner changed the cowl panels (inner/outer) but did not retain the lower hinge internal bracket and bolted the hinge to pillar sheet metal... Now I am looking for those brackets for both sides. Does anyone have spare ones??