The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Mama's High School Grad Present-66' stang (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=399843)

gcburdic 09-13-2010 09:53 AM

Re: Mama's High School Grad Present-66' stang

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33shooter (Post 4187176)
My first "cool" car was a 66' Drop Top with a 4 speed, 289 and the pony interior. I miss that car dearly. An injected 5.0 will fit nicely inside that engine bay, and shouldn't break the bank. Remember, the 302/5.0 can be stroked out to 347 ci pretty easy....in case you just wanted the ole carb thing too. Being more of a Ford fan than Chevy fan (yeah, I know...I've never bought a Chevy, I'm here cause one was given to me) I love Mustangs. Very cool cars! From the drivers seat, the hood feels like you could land airplanes on it...

Thanks shooter....Been a chevy guy all my life, but with this opportunity, I guess I'm learning about the "dark side":lol: I appreciate any input....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnC (Post 4187506)
Coming along nicely man. Keep it up.

You found it John....Thanks for the kind words and following along:D

my67chevytruck 09-13-2010 11:16 AM

Nice Progress Geoff! keep at it!

33shooter 09-13-2010 06:08 PM

The great thing about the Mustangs is the availability of parts, just like Chevy's. Ford guys have long envied the Chevy camps because of the amount of aftermarket support that Chevy has. I think that support was made so because of the KISS (keep it simple stupid) way that Chevy did their motor line up for so many years, and really still does. They don't have a large amount of different engines in many vehicles. Just look at how long the 350 was made, and what it was put into.

The only vehicle in the Ford camp that has that kind of support is the Mustang. The older ones, like yours don't have any issues with ANY parts. I think the best thing to do, is sit down and figure out what your willing to spend, and then come up with a power goal. Once you have that goal in mind, put it here and I'd love to help you spend your money ;)

67ChevyRedneck 09-14-2010 12:31 AM

Geoff, I'm going to have to take a road trip with you to see the car one weekend.

gcburdic 09-14-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 33shooter (Post 4188339)
The great thing about the Mustangs is the availability of parts, just like Chevy's. Ford guys have long envied the Chevy camps because of the amount of aftermarket support that Chevy has. I think that support was made so because of the KISS (keep it simple stupid) way that Chevy did their motor line up for so many years, and really still does. They don't have a large amount of different engines in many vehicles. Just look at how long the 350 was made, and what it was put into.

The only vehicle in the Ford camp that has that kind of support is the Mustang. The older ones, like yours don't have any issues with ANY parts. I think the best thing to do, is sit down and figure out what your willing to spend, and then come up with a power goal. Once you have that goal in mind, put it here and I'd love to help you spend your money ;)

Man...I went to the Charlotte Autofair recently and there are an abundant amount of Mustang parts out there...unfortunately not a lot of good used stuff, but a heck of a lot of repop stuff.....if it's like the chevy repop stuff, I'll be looking original stuff and not deal with some of the crap I've seen (ie chevy doors!!!)....

Shooter....I want to do sheetmetal work first get her primed and back on all fours, then I'll work on suspension/driveline, and get her rolling again....then finally save enough for paint:D....Got a little side job that brings in a little bit so with what I have now, and with what sheetmetal work that hopefully needs to be done, I may only have enough to get to the suspension point.....I anticipate this will be a long build, so I'll have plenty of time to work up to the engine build:D But you'll be the 2nd to help me spend my $$$$....My brother and Dad are also in my ear too!!!:lol: I appreciate any help along the way.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 4189183)
Geoff, I'm going to have to take a road trip with you to see the car one weekend.

Come on up man!!!....I'll put you to work!!!...Looking at October 2nd for the next work day!!!:D

67ChevyRedneck 09-14-2010 12:06 PM

That's Clemson's Homecoming game... guess where I'll be :D

gcburdic 09-14-2010 12:14 PM

Working!!!!....hopefully:haha:

67ChevyRedneck 09-14-2010 12:23 PM

Probably :(

CUSHE63 01-05-2011 11:37 PM

My son Jon pointed me to your builds....Here is a '68 Stang that we did for a local military man...

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...20Restoration/

Steve

gcburdic 01-06-2011 08:48 PM

WOW Steve....yall completely replaced that car....I don't think mine is that bad...gosh at least I hope not!!!....Great job....it turned out beautiful

67Slider 11-10-2011 01:48 PM

I don't know what it is about women and mustangs. Heres my wifes 66.
[IMG]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/000_1316.JPG[/IMG]

JohnC 11-10-2011 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Because they are a great car. Here is my wife's daily driver.
Attachment 826448

We also had a 03 Mustang GT, and the first car she learned to drive was a 66 Mustang.

gcburdic 11-10-2011 11:01 PM

Nice rides guys....I haven't stopped thinking about my mustang build, it's at my brother's shop...due to the economy he doesn't want to blow it apart then have to move his shop

71gmcburb 05-11-2012 08:28 PM

anything new? thats a cool stang and a even cooler history with it being your moms since new

67ChevyRedneck 05-11-2012 11:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Come on Geoff!!! I need someone to park next to me at shows! Motivation shot from today next to my wife's 2011. My car has the 200HP 2 barrel 289 and my wife's 306HP V6 absolutely blows the doors off of it :lol:

gcburdic 05-13-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71gmcburb (Post 5375637)
anything new? thats a cool stang and a even cooler history with it being your moms since new

Thanks for checking in...unfortunately I haven't done anything on this one yet...I need to sell my truck then I'll have the money I need to finish it:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 5375953)
Come on Geoff!!! I need someone to park next to me at shows! Motivation shot from today next to my wife's 2011. My car has the 200HP 2 barrel 289 and my wife's 306HP V6 absolutely blows the doors off of it :lol:

I knew you would post your mustang here sooner or later!!!...Very nice!!:metal:

67ChevyRedneck 05-13-2012 09:28 PM

You missed it. I've been post whoring it up in GD:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=523137

Dustin07 05-16-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67Slider (Post 5001768)
I don't know what it is about women and mustangs. Heres my wifes 66.
[IMG]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...m/000_1316.JPG[/IMG]

that looks a lot like my mom's '65 I pretty much grew up in. :metal:

72BlckButy 05-17-2012 01:10 PM

Where is all your time and money going Geoff??? :D

How's the little one?

67ChevyRedneck 05-17-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5385824)

How's the little one?

I think you answered your own question :lol:

He even didn't have time for me at Charlotte :( Busy guy!

I'll have to drive my new toy up one weekend and see that sweet new burb!

gcburdic 05-17-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5385824)
How's the little one?

:lol: I can't imagine where my time goes....she is awesome...sleeping 12 hours, so I got like 3-4 hours a night to be doing something, but I just chill with the wifey:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 5386060)
I think you answered your own question :lol:

He even didn't have time for me at Charlotte :( Busy guy!

I'll have to drive my new toy up one weekend and see that sweet new burb!

Awww...I gave you a ride around the track a 3 mph, we talked about everything, then you left me to the sharks surrounding my truck:lol:
Maybe the GOTG will work and you can bring it up then

andrewmp6 05-22-2012 09:34 AM

So what are your plans for the mustang?You gonna leave it stock or do a small block and taste full upgrades?

gcburdic 05-22-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewmp6 (Post 5394105)
So what are your plans for the mustang?You gonna leave it stock or do a small block and taste full upgrades?

Yep...gonna clean up the few rusty spots, V8 conversion with suspension upgrade, new paint, interior including AC, and roll....I want it to be a true cruiser....don't need a ground pounder, just one that has somewhat of a stock appearance with...yep...tasteful upgrades:D....I wanna make mama proud!!!

andrewmp6 05-24-2012 01:32 AM

To v8 it takes a lot of parts like changing the rear end to a 8 inch its a 7.5 now the suspension you know about but the whole steering system is different too.The cheapest way i know to change the front to a 5 lug is http://www.discbrakeswap.com/ for aftermarket ac http://www.classicautoair.com/ is cheaper then vintage air and works just as good to me.And while you got it apart do the Shelby drop where you lower the upper a arm it helps a ton so does roller spring perches in the front.If you need any help with finding parts or ideas shoot me a pm I'm a mustang nut if you couldn't tell lol.

gcburdic 05-24-2012 09:12 AM

Many Thanks Andrew....I am a newbie when it comes to these cars....I did read quite a bit about the disc brake swap web site and plan on using it, and the V8 swap including suspension is a bummer, but since I'll have to replace this stuff anyway, might as well make her a V8 (looking for a 289/302 for her....don't need nothing fancy, just somewhat stock, but need to learn more about the roller motor swap too....might go that route, and definitely want an AOD tranny).....good advice on the AC....and you will be on the top of my list to contact about what I need....just a slow process right now till my truck sells....then I'm going full bore ahead on the 'stang.....