The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   How to get a key to a chevy that was lost? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=617842)

LuckyScott 02-23-2014 03:33 PM

How to get a key to a chevy that was lost?

Help, A friend of mine bought a 1970 Suburban that had been sitting and has no keys. Looks like someone replaced the column with a tilt column and the ignition is in the column, not on the dash like my suburban. I told him to get rid of the column but he thinks there is some kind of trick to get the ignition out and replace with a new ignition.
Does anybody know the trick?

vectorit 02-23-2014 03:46 PM

Re: How to get a key to a chevy that was lost?

Is the ignition switch in the dash still wired up?
Or is the harness all rewired to work with the column ignition switch?

Jake1971 02-23-2014 03:47 PM

I suggest recruiting help from a qualified locksmith to pick the ignition lock so it can be turned to the accessory position, at this point you should be able to push the detent retainer pin inwards and extract the lock. Once the old cylinder is removed a new one with keys can be simply installed. :metal:

72MARIO 02-23-2014 05:21 PM

I took my door lock to a lock smith and had him make a key for it. That worked in my ignition

CG 02-23-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyScott (Post 6540318)
Help, A friend of mine bought a 1970 Suburban that had been sitting and has no keys. Looks like someone replaced the column with a tilt column and the ignition is in the column, not on the dash like my suburban. I told him to get rid of the column but he thinks there is some kind of trick to get the ignition out and replace with a new ignition.
Does anybody know the trick?

There are You Tube videos on how to remove the ignition lock cylinder. Its pretty easy to do. I had a tilt column with the key in the column and I wanted the tilt but not the key there. Found the video online and it came out pretty easy. Moved the key to the dash.

68panelman 02-24-2014 09:16 AM

He needs a key to move to the ACC position. ^^^

LuckyScott 02-24-2014 12:00 PM

That is correct, most videos show that you use your key, and then remove the ignition. Without the key, it is much harder. I did find one video that shows that you remove the wheel and the turn signal parts. You will find a screw inside that will allow you to remove the ignition without a key. Then just buy a new ignition. Not sure how it will work, but we are going to give it a try. If it does not work, I told him to pull the column and take it to a column rebuilder.

junkmandan3 02-24-2014 12:11 PM

With the ignition in the dash, does anybody know any tricks, other than sacrifice the retaining bezel, then replacing the switch and tumbler? I'm working on a 67-72. The ignition and door tumblers usually are different in the half dozen or so that I've owned.

SCHRUMGMC 02-24-2014 12:14 PM

Dont mean to hijack but I am taking the Door lockout itself to go get a key made.I took off the Door panel and took off the door latch.I see the little Door lock and need it out to go get a key made..I'm in a hurry got a lot to do today and i cant get the door lock cylinder out for my '59

67 Burb 02-24-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junkmandan3 (Post 6541795)
With the ignition in the dash, does anybody know any tricks, other than sacrifice the retaining bezel, then replacing the switch and tumbler? I'm working on a 67-72. The ignition and door tumblers usually are different in the half dozen or so that I've owned.

I agree with 72mario, in my 67, the same key works in the ignition, the front doors and the rear barn door.