The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

nvrdone 12-02-2018 08:59 PM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

that's the kind of note my wife would leave - only it would say to use the sink in the garage. and take off my dirty clothes ….

evilokc 12-02-2018 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8397482)
LOLOL, I love that, "The management." Sounds like you have a nice lady to share life with.

Brian

yes sir. shakes is pretty awesome. I married well.

evilokc 12-03-2018 12:07 AM

ive owned my truck for a long time and I forget how much it means to me and how it can affect my mood. ive been busy rebuilding the suspension and brakes on my daily driver and haven't really driven the truck in a couple of weeks. I mean I took it around the block but that's it. tonight I was in the garage cleaning up the mess I made and the truck just called me. I fired it up and cleaned while it warmed up. I figured I would take it around the block. I got in the truck and went around the block and when I got back to my street I kept going. I went around the whole neighborhood. got back to my street and again kept going. I pulled out of the neighborhood and took off. it turned into an hour long night time drive. I enjoyed it thoroughly. my truck runs well, sounds awesome, and make my heart smile when I drive it. it was some gearhead therapy that I really needed. I advise you all to do the same.

DransportGarage 12-03-2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8397623)
ive owned my truck for a long time and I forget how much it means to me and how it can affect my mood. ive been busy rebuilding the suspension and brakes on my daily driver and haven't really driven the truck in a couple of weeks. I mean I took it around the block but that's it. tonight I was in the garage cleaning up the mess I made and the truck just called me. I fired it up and cleaned while it warmed up. I figured I would take it around the block. I got in the truck and went around the block and when I got back to my street I kept going. I went around the whole neighborhood. got back to my street and again kept going. I pulled out of the neighborhood and took off. it turned into an hour long night time drive. I enjoyed it thoroughly. my truck runs well, sounds awesome, and make my heart smile when I drive it. it was some gearhead therapy that I really needed. I advise you all to do the same.

You are one with your truck! Pure bliss!

MARTINSR 12-04-2018 01:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got a little bit done on the underside of the floor. Got my heater out of the shed and fired that baby up, that made a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE out there, oh yeah.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 12-04-2018 04:06 AM

Filled my system with coolant. Will the head plug leak? Time will tell, but I'm not optimistic. It's bitten me too many times now.

Crawled around on the garage floor enclosing my rear wiring with split loom tubing. Got it half done, will finish tomorrow. Sure would be easier to do this standing up under a lift.

Man, it's cold and the days are short. After my morning chores I only have a couple of hours a day to work on the truck before it gets dark.

MARTINSR 12-04-2018 11:14 AM

Hope things go good for you on that damn leak.

Brian

mikebte 12-04-2018 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8398319)
Got a little bit done on the underside of the floor. Got my heater out of the shed and fired that baby up, that made a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE out there, oh yeah.

Brian

When I was living in Wyoming I had a could heaters like that, if they were not on I was not in the garage.

MARTINSR 12-05-2018 11:21 AM

Got nothing done in the garage last night. Instead I took off for my friends house out of town up in the hills to say goodbye. He has a few days left before he leaves this earth for a better place, he has been in such pain for a few years now. I had a beautiful time with the family talking about memories I have of him, and hearing theirs. I left very late last night driving down the windy little road with a heavy heart. Wow, every day here is a blessing.

Brian

idbeast 12-05-2018 06:35 PM

I got full coverage insurance on the '56.

Have I recently mentioned how much I hate block sanding??? Yes ogre, I am starting to get Popeye syndrome in my right arm!

Jim

MiraclePieCo 12-05-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8398319)
Got my heater out of the shed and fired that baby up, that made a HELL OF A DIFFERENCE out there, oh yeah.
Brian

Never seen one like that. What does it burn? No noxious fumes?

MARTINSR 12-05-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8399591)
Never seen one like that. What does it burn? No noxious fumes?

Propane, it's pretty fume free.

Brian

MARTINSR 12-06-2018 02:19 AM

Little bit of stripping on the underside of the floor, that's it. :D

Brian

evilokc 12-06-2018 08:10 AM

I think a lot of guys work on their truck through the winter. they have a lot of down time and its to cold to be to far away from a heat source. I have a motorcycle that I will be working on this winter which will take a lot of my time. I spent a few minutes yesterday writing out a list of things that needed to be done to each of my vehicles in the next coming months. the truck list wasn't terrible. luckily with the truck running and driving as well as it does the urgency to get it moving isn't there. that makes working on it a lot more enjoyable. the largest thing I need to do is weld in a patch panel on the firewall to finish up my heater install. once that's done the majority of the work will be in the cab on interior systems. im pretty excited about that. its been in the 20s most of the week and I hate it. stupid cold weather.

MARTINSR 12-07-2018 01:52 AM

I got a little more done on my floor underside, it's looking good. Hope I can get it primed this weekend. I know one thing, that little heater is working awesome. I don't even leave it on, working hard gets you heated up too. So I hit the heater as I am getting ready, shut it off and go to work.

Brian

evilokc 12-08-2018 01:29 PM

its COLD so of course im driving my truck with no heat and a hole in the firewall. love the death rattle.

vintovka 12-08-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8401477)
its COLD so of course im driving my truck with no heat and a hole in the firewall. love the death rattle.

Even with 2 layers of floor and firewall insulation my cab heats up to 70+ even on the coldest 39 degree days here. My giant heater remains unused, I think its the headers.

On another note propane Does need ventilation to operate safely. I have had problems with them and kerosene heaters and no use one of those electric Parabolic Dish heaters which works great and no fumes.

MARTINSR 12-08-2018 03:10 PM

Went out last night to see a fellow car nut/rockabilly band drummer play in a local historical little place, it was very cool. Marcus will buy ONLY cars with history, some award winning show car or something and restore them and sell them. One recently ended up being bought back by the original builder who after seeing it all nice and mechanically sound ended up buying it back!

Today, went out to work on the floor, man, I put an hour into it and you can barely see what I have done. But it's coming close, just super mind blowing detail stuff to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Brian

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...71&oe=5CADE104

svr 12-09-2018 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wire, sort, group, regroup, pull, push

svr 12-09-2018 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting closer

MARTINSR 12-10-2018 12:48 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8402455)

I'm sorry, but I think that orange wire around the clutch pedal needs to be 14 gauge and a foot longer. :lol:

I finally got the underside of the floor ready to prime! WHOOOO HOOOO! OMG was it a bunch of work, why in the hell do we have these "hobbies" anyway? I mean, we might as well make digging swimming pools with a shovel for a hobby! Wow, this kicked my butt.
After going through about 30 different discs cleaning it up I found myself needing to finish it off with the sandblaster in those areas that a wheel couldn't get into. I draped a tarp over the front taping it (and bolting it) to the cab and then got under it to blast, oh what a joy.
Anyway, got it done, then masked it up ready to go WHOO HOOO!

Of course I had a few welds to go, geeez, then it was ready to go!

Brian

svr 12-10-2018 01:13 AM

Lol orange wire is supposed to go to 3rd bake light........ Not sure if it will get used or not

MARTINSR 12-10-2018 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8402521)
Lol orange wire is supposed to go to 3rd bake light........ Not sure if it will get used or not

As long as you add a foot to it and change it to 14 gauge it will be ok. :lol::metal:

Brian

mikebte 12-10-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

That got a good laugh. Wiring is always a pain when your installing and even more of a pain when you attempt to get it correct the first time.

DransportGarage 12-10-2018 10:29 AM

Quote:

I'm doing the same thing right now, and have put too many gadgets in the truck. 184 wires (that I know of). A/C, power windows, power door openers, 11-speaker stereo, DVD, equalizer, USB ports, electric speedo sensor, electric choke, power antenna (nowhere near the radio, of course), radio equalizer and DVD in the roof pod, cooling fan, 11 non-stock relays, tach, lighted mirrors in visors, emergency flashers, gear select indicator, interior lighting, CHMSL, rear camera, electric cooling fan, etc., all of this with wires hidden in/pulled through the boxed frame.

Like Martin says, why do we do this to ourselves?