The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Welcome Area (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Hello Chevy Trucks! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=789530)

Blue Sage 07-01-2019 01:18 PM

Hello Chevy Trucks!

Hi this is Blue Sage coming at cha! I bought a great '67 GMC Camper Cruiser with a '67 Travel Queen camper on it about twelve years ago. Had a little mechanical accident when a 1/4 inch bolt dropped down the spark plug hole (please don't tell anyone! So embarrassing. I'm about to rebuild it and am scared to death! It's a 351e - apparently a rare beast with huge cylinders. I love the truck, talk about a heavy duty frame! I'm hoping I can get at least 15 MPG out of it as it's a notoriously inefficient engine and has the wrong carburator on it and the camper is from the 60's and heavy. All advice welcome! Cheerio, Blue Sage

straight6chevyguy 07-15-2019 02:28 PM

Re: Hello Chevy Trucks!

Welcome to the forum!

painterljp 07-17-2019 08:34 AM

Welcome from a neighbor to the south. The only time your gonna get 15 mpg. Is coming down hill from Taos. After you get to bottom dont know. Good luck with your building of truck and lots of great information here on board. Welcome!! And we all love pictures.

Blue Sage 07-17-2019 01:53 PM

Ha ha ha, down hill from Taos . . . Yeah, from what I'm picking up 15mph is just a fantasy with this monster. thanks.

Blue Sage 07-17-2019 01:54 PM

PS - How do you upload a photo to this site? Drop and drag isn't working. I see an icon for uploading but it wants a URL for a photo?

Steeveedee 07-17-2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by painterljp (Post 8560064)
Welcome from a neighbor to the south. The only time your gonna get 15 mpg. Is coming down hill from Taos. After you get to bottom dont know. Good luck with your building of truck and lots of great information here on board. Welcome!! And we all love pictures.

He'll get a lot better than that if he shuts it off at the top of the hills and coasts downhill until he has to start it to make it up the next hill. ;) I've managed to get my truck up to 10 MPG when not pulling the travel trailer.

Welcome, Blue Sage! (Is that a drug reference? I never know!)

painterljp 07-18-2019 10:18 AM

We get pretty good mileage here from quadrajet. Better than 10 I think somewhere from 12 - 14. Depending on whether you keep your foot in it. But sometimes you gotta have a little fun. Just because. And I like to hear a little rumble now and again where traffic allows.

I agree on coasting down hill big hill though coming out of Taos. More like miles of coming down.

straight6chevyguy 07-18-2019 02:00 PM

To upload photos click
MANAGE ATTACHMENTS & then
CHOOSE FILE
Then choose the file you want to upload.
And then click UPLOAD.

I hope this helps! (If not then I'm sure someone else around here can explain it better then me)

Blue Sage 07-18-2019 02:04 PM

Hi Orange Acres - Naw it's not a drug reference. Taos is an artsy town and your'e supposed to creative. Every name I pick on new sites is always taken - Zorro, Super Stud, Milkman - all gone. Are your acres really orange? I'll remember to shut the engine off at the top of the hill. But first I have to get it there. I think part of the problem with 351's and low MPG's is the intake manifold which feeds two cylinders on one side and one on the other. This requires a carburator to spew a lot of gas to feed that one large intake manifold. With a manifold that had one port per cylinder it would work better.

Blue Sage 07-18-2019 02:04 PM

Who makes the quadrajet?

Blue Sage 07-18-2019 02:05 PM

Who makes your quadrajet?

Ironworking 07-19-2019 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Sage (Post 8551364)
Hi this is Blue Sage coming at cha! I bought a great '67 GMC Camper Cruiser with a '67 Travel Queen camper on it about twelve years ago. Had a little mechanical accident when a 1/4 inch bolt dropped down the spark plug hole (please don't tell anyone! So embarrassing. I'm about to rebuild it and am scared to death! It's a 351e - apparently a rare beast with huge cylinders. I love the truck, talk about a heavy duty frame! I'm hoping I can get at least 15 MPG out of it as it's a notoriously inefficient engine and has the wrong carburator on it and the camper is from the 60's and heavy. All advice welcome! Cheerio, Blue Sage

Welcome aboard! My dad owned a 72 GMC and it sucked gas like an elephant. 6 mpg was on a good day. I have never seen a pickup get such lousy mpgs before or since. I bought it from him and drove it for about 2 months. Traded it for a Ford with a 300 six. Now that thing got some great gas mileage. I drove it for a long while.

Anyway, enjoy the build and keep your hands busy.

Taos, is a pretty cool place. Been there many times. The Res is one of the most beautiful places in the country.

Gotta love those Silverback Elk!

Blue Sage 07-22-2019 01:58 PM

Yeah - I bought a white elephant. It'a great truck - so heavy duty I would like to make it work. Love the elk. Saw a herd of like 70 one time in the mts. : )

70LonghornCST 07-28-2019 02:49 PM

Welcome to the board!

Blue Sage 07-29-2019 02:17 PM

Thanks!

gulfcoast66 08-04-2019 11:24 AM

Welcome Aboard!!! From Houston, Tx.

Blue Sage 08-05-2019 03:46 PM

Thanks!

86swb 08-09-2019 11:42 AM

Welcome to the board. I am afraid you will be only getting around 5-7mpg if you take it easy. Could be a little more but not much. They are not known to do great on gas. Would love to see pictures. Again welcome.

Blue Sage 08-10-2019 04:43 PM

Hi - I'd like to post a picture but can't figure out how to do it. If I just drag a pic to the box it doesn't work. If I click the icon to upload a pic it says to include the URL of the pic???

Ironworking 08-10-2019 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Sage (Post 8573920)
Hi - I'd like to post a picture but can't figure out how to do it. If I just drag a pic to the box it doesn't work. If I click the icon to upload a pic it says to include the URL of the pic???

okay my friend. You see the paperclip icon aboveand just to the left of the image icon? Click there. Then, when the window pops up, use the Browse buttons to upload from your computer.

You will be all set!

Enjoy/In Joy.

Ironworking/Robert

Blue Sage 08-13-2019 03:31 PM

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Marian/Desktop/Small%20Cruiser.jpg[/IMG]

Blue Sage 08-13-2019 03:53 PM

Thanks for the attempt to hep me - I don't have a paperclip next to the image of the Lone Ranger icon? Why me? Why why why??

Ironworking 08-13-2019 03:58 PM

Are you using Post Reply? Or you using Quick Reply? Use Post Reply button just below this message and to the hard left.

Blue Sage 08-13-2019 05:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Aha! So thanks for letting me in on the SECRET - Let's see if these post!

Blue Sage 08-13-2019 05:33 PM

It worked! Thanks!