The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Carpet question (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=724345)

DAVERJ 12-08-2016 11:22 AM

Carpet question
 
Doing my homework and getting ready to buy carpet for my 71 Blazer. I like stockinteriors.com, anyone every deal with them??Why would they ask if it's a CST ??

hemi43 12-08-2016 11:30 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
A CST carpet is narrower about 3" in front and behind the wheel well tub because of the side panels. The previous owner of my truck made this mistake and bought CST carpets for it, even though my truck is non-CST. I've used ACC carpets on previous restorations and really liked their quality and fit.

DAVERJ 12-08-2016 11:42 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
So,not knowing if mine is or ever was a true CST,it would be better to order non-CST carpet??

turp mcspray 12-08-2016 12:22 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
If you are going to install the side interior panels, buy for cst. If not, buy the other.

DAVERJ 12-09-2016 12:17 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Thanks guy's

Ryanz 01-16-2017 11:21 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7790387)
A CST carpet is narrower about 3" in front and behind the wheel well tub because of the side panels. The previous owner of my truck made this mistake and bought CST carpets for it, even though my truck is non-CST. I've used ACC carpets on previous restorations and really liked their quality and fit.

Probably a stupid question but does the carpet come with a gourmet hole for the dimmer switch?

69-72 01-16-2017 11:56 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7828962)
Probably a stupid question but does the carpet come with a gourmet hole for the dimmer switch?

No grommet hole on the ACC carpets I have bought. I just tap the carpet with my foot and it works

Ryanz 01-17-2017 12:28 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69-72 (Post 7828998)
No grommet hole on the ACC carpets I have bought. I just tap the carpet with my foot and it works

Thanks - interested if that's what others are doing? Previous owner cut a hole but it frayed and looks like crap.

elkniks 01-17-2017 01:25 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
The kit should come with a plastic grommet that covers the hole that you must cut out for the dimmer. I have always used ACC.

Ryanz 01-17-2017 01:55 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by elkniks (Post 7829066)
The kit should come with a plastic grommet that covers the hole that you must cut out for the dimmer. I have always used ACC.

Excellent - thanks! Do you go with the 80-20 loop or Nylon? Which one is closest to original? Also, do you order the mass backing? I am going to put in some type of dynamat as well. Final question - do you have any comparison of carpet over wheel wells vs not? Just curious how much sound difference it makes. Mine currently has the carpet over the wheels but I like the original look without.

hemi43 01-17-2017 03:30 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
I put carpet over the wheelwells because I put Dynamat on them. The mass (jute) backing will make the carpet feel better, but it's a moisture trap. Our Blazers are known for leaks so I wouldn't use it.
If you order a carpet from ACC, it will come with a dimmer grommet like the one in the picture.
http://cdn3.volusion.com/gt5ox.bos7j...jpg?1479191086

elkniks 01-17-2017 08:05 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
I used cut pile for a newer look on my Blazer. I have used the loop also and it looks just like original carpet. If I were to do it again I would use some sort of spray on sound deaden-er instead of stick on mat because of the moisture concerns like posted above. But I will say that dynamat + carpet padding + full carpet made a HUGE difference. I drove around with bare metal floor and 2 chamber flowmasters for a while and it was pretty loud.

Ewr101 01-18-2017 12:08 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
4 Attachment(s)
I used stock interiors carpet with mass backing. It's really nice. The only thing I wasn't prepared for, having never put in new carpeting, was there were no holes for the seats or dimmer or makings to even get me close. I spent almost three days in my garage in the Texas heat last summer putting it in. Lots of crawling underneath and back into the inside. Wore me out but it's done. Picked up some floor mats for the front, passanger and rear area and I'm pretty happy with it.Hers some before and after pics....

Ryanz 01-18-2017 10:09 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Awesome thanks guys. If anyone has any feedback on how much of a difference covering the wheel wells with carpet/dynamat makes that would be great. I'd prefer to go with the original look of leaving them off but want my interior to be nice and quiet.

hemi43 01-19-2017 04:20 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7830876)
Awesome thanks guys. If anyone has any feedback on how much of a difference covering the wheel wells with carpet/dynamat makes that would be great. I'd prefer to go with the original look of leaving them off but want my interior to be nice and quiet.

A Blazer that's quiet? :lol::lol:

Rawhedrex 01-20-2017 10:48 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7830876)
Awesome thanks guys. If anyone has any feedback on how much of a difference covering the wheel wells with carpet/dynamat makes that would be great. I'd prefer to go with the original look of leaving them off but want my interior to be nice and quiet.

I have Dynamat covering the wheel wheels in my Blazer. Makes a slight difference for everyday driving. Big difference when driving in the rain or dirt.

Ryanz 03-01-2017 01:08 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7829076)
Excellent - thanks! Do you go with the 80-20 loop or Nylon? Which one is closest to original? Also, do you order the mass backing? I am going to put in some type of dynamat as well. Final question - do you have any comparison of carpet over wheel wells vs not? Just curious how much sound difference it makes. Mine currently has the carpet over the wheels but I like the original look without.

Update on the ACC Carpet. Unfortunately this was a disappointing experience for me. The back carpet was a good inch too short and a half inch on each side wall around the fenders. The fit is not good at all.

mrtoni 03-01-2017 03:20 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Sounds like you ordered the cst carpet kit. It is not as wide in the rear in front and back of the wheelwell because the cst side panels would've covered that part. The non-cst goes all the way to the inside body.

Ryanz 03-01-2017 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtoni (Post 7873140)
Sounds like you ordered the cst carpet kit. It is not as wide in the rear in front and back of the wheelwell because the cst side panels would've covered that part. The non-cst goes all the way to the inside body.

Yes, it's the CST because that's what I have. I'm saying it was too narrow between the wheel wells there is at least a half inch on each inside of wheel well that is exposed. Also behind each wheel well it is exposed a half inch and was an inch short at the very back to fit properly under my carpet strip. So now I have it riding up the front of wheel wells just so I could get it to barely catch under carpet strip to hold it down.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemi43 03-01-2017 10:08 AM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7873223)
Yes, it's the CST because that's what I have. I'm saying it was too narrow between the wheel wells there is at least a half inch on each inside of wheel well that is exposed. Also behind each wheel well it is exposed a half inch and was an inch short at the very back to fit properly under my carpet strip. So now I have it riding up the front of wheel wells just so I could get it to barely catch under carpet strip to hold it down.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's supposed to be like that. The wheel well carpet will cover those bare areas.
It they cut the carpet right to the corners, then there would be no room for the wheel well carpet. As far as the back being too short, are you sure you don't have it in wrong ( front to back)?

Ryanz 03-01-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7873283)
It's supposed to be like that. The wheel well carpet will cover those bare areas.
It they cut the carpet right to the corners, then there would be no room for the wheel well carpet. As far as the back being too short, are you sure you don't have it in wrong ( front to back)?

I wondered about that but from factory the wheel wells aren't covered so I wanted to leave it original. I do have the exta carpet for the wheel wells but neglectant to put them in. Yes, tried it both ways. They left plenty of extra for the front in case you want to run it down to floor. When I flipped it around it was 2.5 inches too short. Trust me, I tried everything several times, much to my frustration. But due to shipping and time sake I decided to live wit it. It measures exactly 2.5 inches shorter than previous carpet. Odd as I had heard this was best place to order from. Plus I ordered the extra mass backing so it was super heavy and cost me a crap load to ship to Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemi43 03-01-2017 03:38 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryanz (Post 7873317)
I wondered about that but from factory the wheel wells aren't covered so I wanted to leave it original. I do have the exta carpet for the wheel wells but neglectant to put them in. Yes, tried it both ways. They left plenty of extra for the front in case you want to run it down to floor. When I flipped it around it was 2.5 inches too short. Trust me, I tried everything several times, much to my frustration. But due to shipping and time sake I decided to live wit it. It measures exactly 2.5 inches shorter than previous carpet. Odd as I had heard this was best place to order from. Plus I ordered the extra mass backing so it was super heavy and cost me a crap load to ship to Canada.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, that sucks !! ACC is the best out there, but I guess they're not perfect either. Why don't you call ACC and explain with pictures what the problem is. You might be able to have a replacement carpet shipped to Bill's trucks which is located in Canada about 10 minutes from me because I know he only deals with ACC and gets shipments from them every few weeks, then have Bill send it to you. At least this way you may not have to go through the usual customs hassle if ACC will replace it under warranty. Just a thought.

Ryanz 03-01-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi43 (Post 7873575)
Yeah, that sucks !! ACC is the best out there, but I guess they're not perfect either. Why don't you call ACC and explain with pictures what the problem is. You might be able to have a replacement carpet shipped to Bill's trucks which is located in Canada about 10 minutes from me because I know he only deals with ACC and gets shipments from them every few weeks, then have Bill send it to you. At least this way you may not have to go through the usual customs hassle if ACC will replace it under warranty. Just a thought.

Great idea - thanks. I'll give it a try.
Posted via Mobile Device

Blazerowner 03-07-2017 11:09 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
I have the same problem with my carpet. It's as if the wheel well cutouts are not centered correctly. There is roughly 15 1/2" carpet behind the wheel well and without pulling the carpet up the front of the wheel well it won't be under the rear carpet strip. I'm not happy at all, I bought the carpet a year ago and am just getting to it. I went with the mass backing as well and am wondering if I'm out of money on the back half of the kit. It's at least 2" too short. The front fit no problem.

stangtjk 03-07-2017 11:51 PM

Re: Carpet question
 
Glad I saw this post.... I was on the fence about getting the essex carpet set from ACC or doing the interior with spray in liner.... I think I'll go with the liner and skip the fitment issues.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com