The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Preferred method for rear glass install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=800513)

Jemezcrusher 02-01-2020 03:32 PM

Preferred method for rear glass install

Putting glass in the 50 and the windshield went well. Roped it in as I don't think there is any other way. I watched Precision's" youtube videos and they were pretty good.

On the back glass they show to put some bedding sealant on, then the seal, then fit the glass using a ball and hook tool, then applying window sealant, then putting in the locking strip using a locking strip tool.

I only got to step three when the ball and hook tool tore right through to the lock strip channel.

My neighbor (experienced) says he ropes it in with the lock strip in place. I am not sure if you could put any bedding sealant in that way, or windshield sealer down in where the glass meets the rubber.

I was thinking I could rope it in without the lock strip, then sealant, then install the lock strip. That is of course, after I order a new gasket. It was Soffseal so will not get one from them as I think it tore WAY too easy.

Would like tips from you guys

Thx

MARTINSR 02-01-2020 04:59 PM

Re: Preferred method for rear glass install

2 Attachment(s)
I have only did mine once over 40 years ago. LOL But I can't imagine without a six pack of beer understand why you would install it with the lock strip in place! The whole idea is to install it later to lock it in place! Photos are from 1977.

All I know is I did mine when I was about 17 years old and it was pretty easy.

Brian

mongocanfly 02-01-2020 05:02 PM

I couldn't I imagine doing it with the lock ring in place beforehand either...

Jemezcrusher 02-01-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8670768)
I have only did mine once over 40 years ago. LOL But I can't imagine without a six pack of beer understand why you would install it with the lock strip in place! The whole idea is to install it later to lock it in place! Photos are from 1977.

Brian

So, rope it in, or ball hook tool it in?

Rope, sealant, lock strip?

Jemezcrusher 02-01-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8670768)

Brian

Seems like everything I did when I was 17 was easy!!!!!!!!!

MARTINSR 02-01-2020 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher (Post 8670789)
Seems like everything I did when I was 17 was easy!!!!!!!!!

I met my ex wife at 17.....need I say more?

Brian

MARTINSR 02-01-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher (Post 8670788)
So, rope it in, or ball hook tool it in?

Rope, sealant, lock strip?

Here is a little bit on the subject that I know. I installed the rear window on my Rambler and it went VERY smooth with my tools I made.

https://www.hotrodders.com/forum/win...ls-360386.html

Brian

joedoh 02-02-2020 12:40 AM

sometimes the rear rubber makes all the difference. I have used rubber from all over, one I got on sale and it was cheap till I had to buy another from the local glass place.

for install tools I use the ball and hook took and the pusher stick, both available from LMC truck. I also use a lock strip installer tool that I bought locally.

my method is to put the gasket on the window first, you have to use the handle end of the hook tool to tap the gasket all the way onto the steel lip, especially in the corners. all the way around then trim the excess leaving about 1/8-1/4 long. if you dont tap it on to the lip, and if you dont leave the excess, when you put the glass in, you will end up with a gap between the two ends, so be certain!

then I put the glass in, using the hook tool and stick. it takes time, and you dont want to drop it so I usually get my wife to hold the glass with a suction cup while I get the rubber around the edge of the glass. windex AND silicone spray help immensely doing this, like I said sometimes the gasket is more pliable from different manufacturers.

once you have the glass in the gasket, run the ball end through the lock strip channel a few times, it helps center the glass. then put the lock strip in (dont start it right at the same spot as the gasket split, offset it a little), put your lock tool over the strip and then into the channel and push. its hard to explain what should happen, but the tool should spread the lock channel AND push the strip into it at the same time. a couple practice tries will sort you out. dont worry if it doesnt seat all the way, when you have gone all the way around, you can use a small blunt tool like a dull flathead screwdriver to gently push it into the channel. on my 49 GMC 3 window I fought the cheap gasket for a while, then fought the replacement gasket for a half day. on the 49 5 window 3100 I just finished I got the gasket from LMC without much expectation and had all 3 back glass installed lock strip and all in under and hour.

Jemezcrusher 02-02-2020 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8671016)
sometimes the rear rubber makes all the difference. I have used rubber from all over, one I got on sale and it was cheap till I had to buy another from the local glass place.

for install tools I use the ball and hook took and the pusher stick, both available from LMC truck. I also use a lock strip installer tool that I bought locally.

my method is to put the gasket on the window first, you have to use the handle end of the hook tool to tap the gasket all the way onto the steel lip, especially in the corners. all the way around then trim the excess leaving about 1/8-1/4 long. if you dont tap it on to the lip, and if you dont leave the excess, when you put the glass in, you will end up with a gap between the two ends, so be certain!

then I put the glass in, using the hook tool and stick. it takes time, and you dont want to drop it so I usually get my wife to hold the glass with a suction cup while I get the rubber around the edge of the glass. windex AND silicone spray help immensely doing this, like I said sometimes the gasket is more pliable from different manufacturers.

once you have the glass in the gasket, run the ball end through the lock strip channel a few times, it helps center the glass. then put the lock strip in (dont start it right at the same spot as the gasket split, offset it a little), put your lock tool over the strip and then into the channel and push. its hard to explain what should happen, but the tool should spread the lock channel AND push the strip into it at the same time. a couple practice tries will sort you out. dont worry if it doesnt seat all the way, when you have gone all the way around, you can use a small blunt tool like a dull flathead screwdriver to gently push it into the channel. on my 49 GMC 3 window I fought the cheap gasket for a while, then fought the replacement gasket for a half day. on the 49 5 window 3100 I just finished I got the gasket from LMC without much expectation and had all 3 back glass installed lock strip and all in under and hour.

Joedoh, Do you use any sealant?

joedoh 02-02-2020 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemezcrusher (Post 8671094)
Joedoh, Do you use any sealant?

only on the front windshields, never on the rear. i think its because old glass is 3 layer, new glass is tempered, and water doesnt wick between the layers on new glass. I have never had a reusable rear glass on any project.

Jemezcrusher 02-13-2020 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Going a new weatherstrip from Precision. Used the method Joedoh outlined and all went smooth