The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   99 ,CC Short Bed won't start. Looking for tech help..... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744972)

SCOTI 08-19-2017 09:01 PM

99 ,CC Short Bed won't start. Looking for tech help.....

My new DD won't start.

You can hear the fuel pump run. I have 54-56psi @ the test port. I have spark. If you give it a small shot of starting fluid, it will fire & run.

Without the starting fluid, it won't run. We replaced the fuel pressure regulator thinking maybe something was going on there. Didn't help. No codes when scanned.

Suggestions?

Gunner41 08-19-2017 11:51 PM

Re: 99 ,CC Short Bed won't start. Looking for tech help.....

454?

SCOTI 08-20-2017 05:46 PM

HeavyChevy81 08-21-2017 08:23 AM

Ive seen a no start issue with 50-52 static, but really figure you have enough. But, Vortecs seem to be very picky on fuel pressure for starting issues. Im thinking you are looking at a new fuel pump, even though pressures are very close to being in spec. Hard call, I think you are on the right path replacing the regulator, but Im thinking the pump is next. Im curious to the board, why are Vortecs so picky on fuel pressure? And it seems if outside specs, it just wont start, or even try?

SCOTI 08-22-2017 09:28 AM

Ttt....

Gunner41 09-04-2017 06:28 PM

I know the feeling about having to replace the regulator. When I replaced my regulator I installed a new rail as well. Of course along with that I replaced the pump and filter. Figured since I had both the manifold and bed off might as well. I have not had a problem since. I would of replaced the injectors but the stealership was well just that and because I live in California it seems smog just gets in the way again.
Was not anything else left but it does work well.
Good luck

SCOTI 09-05-2017 12:09 AM

Well.... I'll update. So far we did the anti theft module in the column since there was a code. No change.

Did the regulator after since we noticed 'pooling' of gas under it. No change.

Verified we have an output signal to the injector bulkhead on all 8cyls. The tech print-out said to check the injector module/solenoid. But the tech @ the dealership thats assisting my buddy & I (my buddy is also a tech @ the dealership but does interior/trim/electronics) said its the fuel pump. Nope. It wasn't. I replaced the fuel pump & no difference. Pissed that I spent the money, time, & effort but @ least I can rule that out.

SCOTI 09-11-2017 01:11 PM

Snagged a used injector module (spider) from the wrecking yard on Saturday & swapped it in. Turn the key & the motor came to life. Ran rough initially but after warming up it smoothed out & felt normal. Took it for a 20min blast on the highway & it ran normal.

Parked it Saturday afternoon to focus on cleaning up my dually. Restarted it Sunday to run errands & it mis-fires like crazy & has no power. Looks like a new module in it's future.

That being said, when I searched for the module online & found there's an upgrade (electronic injectors vs poppet style), several of the kits indicate a new/different retaining bracket 'might' be required yet there's no definitive answer.

Anyone know any more info on these upgrade kits (I'm looking mainly @ the Delphi brand)?

Cyphercrash 09-13-2017 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyChevy81 (Post 8021650)
Ive seen a no start issue with 50-52 static, but really figure you have enough. But, Vortecs seem to be very picky on fuel pressure for starting issues. Im thinking you are looking at a new fuel pump, even though pressures are very close to being in spec. Hard call, I think you are on the right path replacing the regulator, but Im thinking the pump is next. Im curious to the board, why are Vortecs so picky on fuel pressure? And it seems if outside specs, it just wont start, or even try?

Vortec I own has Plastic upper intake plenum covering a single spider with the fuel injectors as a single unit. The plenum also has vaccum holes that require weird sized o rings. The Spider is generally the no start issue if there is Pressure for the fuel line. Bad design.

P0300 most common, GM answer in the Technical Bulletin states use top tier gas. DO NOT use injector cleaner as the plastic is adversely effected (yes plastic injectors)

SCOTI 09-13-2017 05:35 PM

I finally found the Delphi kit.... But it was $600 w/the new/different retaining bracket.

The weird thing is the Delphi set-ups I found came w/a 1yr warranty. I decided to go w/the BWD upgraded electronic injector module instead. The module assembly, gasket, & bracket was $340 & came w/a limited lifetime warranty.

speedygonzales 09-17-2017 09:20 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...et/model/k1500

All of these newer style are made by Standard.

The bracket that bolts it down, is the same as the old one. It does not have to be changed.

The reason the JY unit you bought crapped out was there was a "film" built up in the tubing and running new fuel in it washed the film off the sides of the tubing and it clogged up the tips.

There is a way to clean these POS systems on the vehicle while the engine is running. Similar to the way sequential systems are cleaned. However, the poppet style are not friendly to that cleaning method. These newer style injectors are however.

This is the cleaner system I use
http://www.autoserviceprofessional.c...system-cleaner

You use your favorite cleaner and pressurize the vessel to the working pressure of the system.

Incidentally I contacted Standard about a pressure issue the first time I switched to the new style injectors. FYI the OEM style poppets work on a pressure of 60-66 PSI.

These new ones work on a pressure of 55-62 PSI.

SCOTI 09-21-2017 11:09 PM

Not-So Great White is pounding pavement once again.....

Wound up putting a new distributor in while things were apart. One of the cap bosses had broken off the distributor base plate so the cap kept coming loose. I decided to just go ahead & replace it so its no longer an issue. Once primed, it started right up to settled into a nice 5-600rpm idle. Initial drive was good. Maybe the new electronic set-up (vs. the OE poppets) will help mpgs. Time will tell.

SCOTI 09-22-2017 11:14 AM

Well..... I spoke too soon.

The truck ran fine last night. Then, after leaving a neighborhood intersection stop sign, as I was accelerating the speed/rpm continued to climb w/o my input. I had to use both feet on the brake pedal to maintain speed until getting into a parking lot. It was idling along @ 2k rpm doing so. I turned into the parking lot, threw it in neutral, & the motor revved well past redline so I killed the ignition.

I checked the throttle cable but it appears normal & tension seems correct. Tried restarting & same thing..... immediately revving @ WOT.
:waah:

Cyphercrash 09-22-2017 11:34 AM

That's where I am at after upper motor rebuild. Every now and then she just does auto drive.

SCOTI 09-22-2017 03:21 PM

It was a mechanical issue. There is one wire w/a clip that exits the wrapped bundle going to the injector module. I went back in to fix a leaking/missing O-ring @ the fuel lines (using a flashlight/in the dark). Apparently upon reassembly of the air intake & TB hat, I managed to rake this wire forward. I guess it was sitting there until the throttle plate was opened just enough. Once that happened, it dropped in & when I took my foot off the pedal it wedged itself in place.

I inspected things this AM & noticed right away the throttle plate cracked open & then saw the wire/clip. I pulled it out, secured the wire to the bundle, & everything is back to normal.

Cyphercrash 09-22-2017 06:12 PM

Glad to know you're all locked down and good. Keep on truckin