The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hood latch question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785252)

cgster 04-16-2019 08:37 PM

Hood latch question

3 Attachment(s)
Working on getting my hood aligned, but can't get my hood to stay latched. The hood latch bolt goes down into the hood latch and I have to squeeze the release to get it to let go, but the hood isn't going down far enough into the latch when I close the hood. I can manually press the hood all the way down, it just doesn't latch at the right spot when hood is fully pressed all the way down. Not sure if something is wrong with the hood latch area.....or something else. My truck is a 72 C10, the hood is off of a 69-70, so not sure if that makes a difference.

LockDoc 04-16-2019 09:19 PM

Re: Hood latch question

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgster (Post 8508507)
Working on getting my hood aligned, but can't get my hood to stay latched. The hood latch bolt goes down into the hood latch and I have to squeeze the release to get it to let go, but the hood isn't going down far enough into the latch when I close the hood. I can manually press the hood all the way down, it just doesn't latch at the right spot when hood is fully pressed all the way down. Not sure if something is wrong with the hood latch area.....or something else. My truck is a 72 C10, the hood is off of a 69-70, so not sure if that makes a difference.

Looks like the latch bolt is adjusted down too far. How are the hood bumpers/stops adjusted in the front? If you remove the latch bolt plate does the hood fit good when you close it and hold it down. Too high or low in the front?

LockDoc

cgster 04-16-2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8508547)
Looks like the latch bolt is adjusted down too far. How are the hood bumpers/stops adjusted in the front? If you remove the latch bolt plate does the hood fit good when you close it and hold it down. Too high or low in the front?

LockDoc

I'll try to adjust the latch bolt tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem latching problem.
A billet grill was installed on this truck at some point and also grill doesn't look right with the hood all the way down. Looks like 1/2 - 1 inch gap between hood and grill when hood is down. I have an original inner/outer grill so hopefully that fixes the gap.

LockDoc 04-17-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgster (Post 8508591)
I'll try to adjust the latch bolt tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem latching problem.
A billet grill was installed on this truck at some point and also grill doesn't look right with the hood all the way down. Looks like 1/2 - 1 inch gap between hood and grill when hood is down. I have an original inner/outer grill so hopefully that fixes the gap.

Let us know how it goes.

LockDoc