The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Powder Coating - A Home How to (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=654423)

texasld 06-12-2015 04:00 PM

Re: Powder Coating - A Home How to

Those are some really awesome pieces!

bowman39 06-13-2015 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks. let me throw 1 more at ya that I done last week with some detail work. This is a very time consuming process when Its all done with powdercoat but the end results are very gratifying. This is black mini texture with the lettering done in dazzling pewter.

88fordf150 06-14-2015 08:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few parts I did a while ago.

88fordf150 06-14-2015 08:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Few more.

bowman39 06-14-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88fordf150 (Post 7209107)
Few more.

Very nice work! It's all in the details and your detail work looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

D13 06-23-2015 02:33 PM

How do you do the multi-color? Spray 1, wipe off areas you want the 2nd color, spray color 2, then bake? Or do you bake between colors?

Nova_Cobra64 06-23-2015 08:05 PM

You guys do some beautiful work. Finally got to try my setup from Eastwood, despite having it for a few months now. I coated a goalie mask cage orange-yellow. The result was OK but not perfect. A bit patchy in some spots. Any idea why? I also tried doing a second coat and found that it was not really attracting any more powder.

Also, can one powder coat over chrome? Some of the cages I have are chrome plated and I'd imagine fully stripping the chrome would take forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

hein97 07-07-2015 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman39 (Post 7203647)
Great write up, I have been powder coating for several years now and It saves a lot of money after time. I had the opportunity to travel to columbia tennessee and attend a 3 day powder coating class given by a company called columbia coatings. They are very knowledgable and friendly people and they sell top notch equipment and powders. One thing to keep in mind when ordering powder is to make sure they are selling you virgin powder, some companies will offer used powder that has been reclaimed and if your not careful it will have impurities that will show up in your powder. Columbia coatings has a gun that has a patent pending nozzle that will charge the powder without charging the part that will virtually eliminate faraday caging and if your piece can handle the temperature it can be powder coated. Ive personally powder coated wood and glass. here is a few items that ive coated in the last few weeks.

looks really good! is that intake manifold done with silver vein?

oldgymnast 10-06-2015 03:06 PM

I have the same set up but have yet to powder coat anything since creating it. I have done some smaller items in a toaster oven in the past. Here is a link to another person doning powder coating in his garage that has alot of useful tips as well.
http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2012/...l#.VhQbMf6FO9I

Nitis 01-02-2016 10:46 AM

I just got one of these setups about 6 weeks ago yes its messy but so rewarding! I have been doing a ton of yeti cups ( stainless tumblers)

I an having really good luck but does anyone have a good basic way to mask things off so you could two tone? I bought some of the high temp tape but kinda worried it will leave goo behind. Any tips?

Cant wait to do some stuff when the 72 gets tore down gotta pick a unique color

And I am using a toaster oven I bought the biggest one walmart had but I am on the lookout for a used electric oven for sure. Then I am pretty sure I could do wheels

texasld 01-04-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nitis (Post 7431818)
I just got one of these setups about 6 weeks ago yes its messy but so rewarding! I have been doing a ton of yeti cups ( stainless tumblers)

I an having really good luck but does anyone have a good basic way to mask things off so you could two tone? I bought some of the high temp tape but kinda worried it will leave goo behind. Any tips?

Cant wait to do some stuff when the 72 gets tore down gotta pick a unique color

And I am using a toaster oven I bought the biggest one walmart had but I am on the lookout for a used electric oven for sure. Then I am pretty sure I could do wheels

I love the Yeti cups. They are freaking awesome! I give them away as gifts all the time. I do have one concern, though. Does the high heat harm them? I know they say not to freeze or wash them in the dishwasher. If it doesn't, I may have to give it a whirl.

As far as the tape, I have used it before and didn't have any issue with the adhesive. It's made for that as long as you get the right stuff. It's not cheep, though. You can also use a small amount of tape and tin foil to mask the rest of it.

Nitis 01-04-2016 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So far so good no complaints. My wife wanted a Tiffany blue one and the prices for people that were doing them was crazy almost $100. So I spent like $400 buying crap to do my own. I have since got Rtic brand cups for $20 each I even did some stainless champagne flutes

zicc1835 02-19-2017 10:10 AM

i posted this on the forum side yesterday and got some good replies then found this post which last post is a year old maybe get some more advice specific on steering parts mentioned below

long 6 year story ....bought the PC kit from Eastwood 6 years ago used it for the first time last night did my engine stands ....I been bit by the bug now . Does anyone have experience with coating front end steering parts i have all moog everything to rebuild steering complete... my question is the tie rod ends etc. come loaded with grease do i bake that out bath & clean them plug and tape the threads anybody DIY this they need to be coated one way or another or they will turn to rust.... would like to know if it makes any sense to PC these parts
thanks
Jess

texasld 02-19-2017 11:13 AM

You must get ALL of the grease out of the parts. If you don't, it will run out and into the powder. We all know what that turns into. You can simply paint them, but, as with everything. The more time you spend, the better it will turn out to be.

zicc1835 02-20-2017 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasld (Post 7863249)
You must get ALL of the grease out of the parts. If you don't, it will run out and into the powder. We all know what that turns into. You can simply paint them, but, as with everything. The more time you spend, the better it will turn out to be.

what do you think about sweating the grease out in the oven?

zicc1835 02-25-2017 08:39 PM

how about this then???? advice on how to suspend coil springs for coating

tech54K 10-03-2017 01:36 AM

This is perfect! I never knew powder coating can be this easy! Thank you.

zicc1835 10-03-2017 09:09 PM

like anything else its all in the preparation :)

Metamuffin 03-13-2018 06:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. You can learn more about powder coatings here.

zicc1835 03-13-2018 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metamuffin (Post 8211035)
Thanks for sharing. You can learn more about powder coatings here.

welcome.... there is a lot of info on this board lots of great people willing to share info...I have found the best way to get answers is to first type the subject in the search box up top and choose 67-72 chevytrucks usually someone has asked and had questions answered over the years.....i been having fun with powder coating and use Eastwood products here is some of my latest chrome cookin welcome and......good luck

pitterpat 04-09-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowman39 (Post 7208155)
Thanks. let me throw 1 more at ya that I done last week with some detail work. This is a very time consuming process when Its all done with powdercoat but the end results are very gratifying. This is black mini texture with the lettering done in dazzling pewter.

On the pieces with the lettering how do you get the lettering in the contrasting color?

oldgymnast 04-10-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitterpat (Post 8503866)
On the pieces with the lettering how do you get the lettering in the contrasting color?

You would basically do the first color but not do a full bake on it and then mask off what you want to stay that color and re-spray and bake again.
http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2015/...l#.V-0PYCS1iW-
The link I have hopefully attached is what I followed when I did mine, though I kept my letters the bare metal and then sprayed everything else black and finished with a clear.

Notch1988 11-07-2019 11:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I love seeing the pieces other people have coated. A few of my own...

Notch1988 11-07-2019 11:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more

roll_the_dice 11-07-2019 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Notch1988 (Post 8623096)
I love seeing the pieces other people have coated. A few of my own...

Beautiful license plate. Did you do the black first then the yellow and wipe off the yellow on the lettering?

Here are a few things I have done...

Hood spring
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1543447168

Cluster bezel and face plate
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1543942961

A buddies BMW brake calipers