The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What are you using for A/C? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=796592)

GMCjunkie 11-13-2019 07:43 PM

What are you using for A/C?

Hi Guys!!!!! Yes, im still out here and still have my burb.:metal::metal::metal: It is actually in the shop getting tons of work done on it so that I can use it as my (mostly) daily driver again. I want to put A/C in it and was wondering what some of you have used and had success with. I did the Arizona Mobile Air (under dash)many years ago and it was seriously inefficient. I need something that can cool the front and the rear of my truck. Please let me know what you have. THANK YOU!!!

kingsolver72 11-13-2019 08:48 PM

Re: What are you using for A/C?

Hey hey, I’m no help with the ac but it’s good to see you post.
Hope all is well with you!

chevy72blu 11-13-2019 09:44 PM

Some old join dates ITT. I think I remember your burb.

Im going Vintage air in my pickup. No help on a burb

flashed 11-13-2019 10:40 PM

Im no help either , but glad to see you back , been wondering about you .

polishspy 11-14-2019 01:43 PM

I am leaning toward a vintage air under dash and a small vintage air unit mounted under the front seat for the rear of the vehicle. Its a hodge podge of parts using their monster condenser and sanden 709 compressor. If you talk with them they can help with parts, though they claim good insulation and the under dash will do.

jamyers 11-14-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polishspy (Post 8626965)
I am leaning toward a vintage air under dash and a small vintage air unit mounted under the front seat for the rear of the vehicle. Its a hodge podge of parts using their monster condenser and sanden 709 compressor. If you talk with them they can help with parts, though they claim good insulation and the under dash will do.

I'd think you're on the right track with a rear unit.

I'm also betting that by "good insulation", they mean "rip out the entire interior and install tons of our high-dollar insulation in the floors/walls/roof", LOL

ManNamedJed 11-14-2019 05:05 PM

If you get a second unit installed, please post up the results. I have considered something similar.

HazelsHoney 11-14-2019 05:21 PM

I am considering the same for my '72 K-20. I have inquired with Vintage Air and LMC Truck although haven't pulled the trigger yet. Would like to here other's opinions, if anyone out there has any.

CG 11-14-2019 06:51 PM

WHAT?????? Who is this really????

GMCjunkie 11-15-2019 09:56 AM

LOL, c'mon yall... it hasnt been THAT long...I've always been here...lurking...stalking...lol

I'm excited to get my truck back in daily driver condition. It is now part of my business as a dog trainer.

My truck guy here is contemplating stripping a unit from a newer Sub or Tahoe and customizing it to my Burb. We are still in the analyzing stage of this and thought Id come here and see what "the cool kids" was doing. :D

Keep your ideas coming and if anyone wants to hook up on FB im "Jodie Rainey McClellan" :):):)

FLYNAVY30 11-15-2019 05:57 PM

I'm running Vintage Air in my '72 C20. I live in VA and on the hottest, most miserably humid days in the summer, it will nicely cool the occupants of the front seats. That being said, dont think that you're going to cool the entire cabin with that single unit. My truck originally had the rear A/C unit, and I need to look into what generic offerings VA might have that would fit in the factory rear housing to piggy back on the front system and up the cold air output.

Insulation (which I have not yet upgraded) is key as well. As are good door and window seals.....mine are all dry rotted. The sheer square footage of glass in these trucks is also working against you. Tinting would help significantly, but I can't bring myself to do it....the cabin is just so open and airy with clear glass.

Lastly, the blower motor is much louder than I would have suspected on the higher settings. This is likely due to the fact that its not buried as deeply in the dash as modern cars have their blower motors. It moves quite a bit of air, but it is noisy at full boogie.

Hope that helps, if you have any additional questions about the system, feel free to ask! Install was relatively simple, and I love the potentiometers that allow you to use the factory HVAC controls so that it all looks stock!

-Greg

ManNamedJed 11-15-2019 07:55 PM

I did the Classic system and like FLYNAVY it keeps front passengers nice and cool, but 2nd or 3rd row not so much.

I am going to do some window tint, and bought a whole bunch of that sound deadening insulation mat to put in.

adzints7 11-15-2019 09:58 PM

I have VA in the front and it is decent but does not get to the second row. I have a stock unit for the rear that I believe I can rebuild with off the shelf parts from local parts of rock auto but I have not explored a whole lot.

Other option for the rear that John from the Air Shop in Santa Ana, CA recommends is a Pro-air unit that is for small busses and the likes. He said they are pretty low profile and look ok. Also makes it freezing cold throughout....
I think Dorman has some similar products as well. Not as streamlined but pretty efficient.

LuckyScott 11-16-2019 12:46 AM

"John from the Air Shop in Santa Ana, CA"

Never heard of this shop. Is this a place to take the truck for an install? Is it a good shop?

adzints7 11-16-2019 11:47 AM

Absolutely recommend them. Always 3-4 classics getting AC in there.

kev2809 12-28-2019 06:27 AM

not to high jack here but just curious why a newer suburban guts wouldnt work? im hoping to get myself a 00-06 tahoe or suburban for a motor swap and was going to look real hard at swapping the ac stuff over too

LuckyScott 12-29-2019 12:35 AM

I am currently looking into some kind of a UV film for the windows. Not a tint. I had tint, but didn't like the look. There is a film with a UV filter. Im going to tint the windows but it will look clear.

BBPanel 12-29-2019 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyScott (Post 8650379)
I am currently looking into some kind of a UV film for the windows. Not a tint. I had tint, but didn't like the look. There is a film with a UV filter. Im going to tint the windows but it will look clear.

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t=ceramic+tint

pwdcougar 12-29-2019 03:42 PM

How long do these Classic and Vintage air units last? The reason for asking is the Vintage air unit in a burb I bought had a leaking heater core. The unit was installed in 2001 or 2002. The heater core and the AC unit was one piece and there was no way to just replace the heater core. Vintage air upgraded the unit in the truck and there was no way to fix the system. The only option was to replace the entire system.

I've always considered heater cores to be a consumable part and to design the system this way just seamed like poor engineering.

Speaking of poor engineering, why does like it seem like they build cars around the heater core? On my wife's 2005 Impala I swear the the first part on the assembly line was the heater core on a jig. As the core went down the line they constructed the rest of the car around it!

Paul

ManNamedJed 01-02-2020 02:14 PM

I certainly haven't had to test it, but according to Classic Auto Air, their unit can be disassembled and individual components replaced.

pwdcougar 01-02-2020 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManNamedJed (Post 8653079)
I certainly haven't had to test it, but according to Classic Auto Air, their unit can be disassembled and individual components replaced.

I wish I had saved the thing now but it got me 15 bucks at the scrap yard. The heater core and AC was one convoluted unit. I did save the rest of the components I think. Someday I'll drag out the boxes and see what brand it is. There was no way to just replace one or the other. Kinda pisses me off because I'd like to have AC in the truck. That is if I ever finish the body work!

Paul

palallin 01-03-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsolver72 (Post 8626622)
Hey hey, I’m no help with the ac but it’s good to see you post.
Hope all is well with you!

Ditto!

cypressbog 01-03-2020 05:40 PM

Welcome back Jodie!