The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   1971 Blazer / Paint Assistance (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773549)

Iceman54 10-18-2018 03:23 PM

1971 Blazer / Paint Assistance

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,

New member here with a 1971 Chevrolet Blazer frame off restoration being done as we speak. The body is being prepared for paint and I am agonizing over the paint color. I have a picture of what I want mine to look like but I need the experts help. I have been through 20 different threads and seem to have color codes narrowed down to 518 or 503 and maybe even 535. The problem I am facing is I do not know the year or have access to the Blazer below to color match. I know that it was repainted recently and that is about it. If you were in my shoes and reviewing the picture below what color advice would you give me and what color do you believe the paint is on the blazer?

I plan to go to some paint shops to have them spray out some colors based off the picture. After I get some feedback from the forum. My Blazer is being built out in Utah so I cannot go to them at the moment for color assistance. I am in Southern California.

Thank so much in advance!

Attachment 1830700

mongocanfly 10-18-2018 04:46 PM

Re: 1971 Blazer / Paint Assistance

welcome....im not seeing a picture...

Iceman54 10-18-2018 07:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1830699

Ugh. Been awhile since I used these uploading features. I hope you can see it now. Thanks, Micah

mongocanfly 10-18-2018 08:33 PM

Haha...now I see em both....that 518 looks very close...

Iceman54 10-19-2018 11:27 AM

If I give them the 518 code will that be enough for them to spray out a color sample. Further, what should my expectation be of the painter and the paint on the Blazer. Do you recommend a certain brand, number of clear coats, metallic vs other. I am not experienced with the paint and want to make sure they do a great job. Thanks for the Help Mono!

Micah

mongocanfly 10-19-2018 12:53 PM

ask for references if your worried about the painter...most any painter that's being doing it for a long time will have a decent reputation...or he'd be outta business....get ready ...it wont be cheap...unless you do a maco job....a show quality job will be significantly more than a driver quality job....different shops use different brands of supplies..you said body is being prepared for paint so I assume this means body work....most painters wont paint someone elses body work so that may be a problem

Iceman54 10-19-2018 05:30 PM

Sounds good. I paid to have a Blazer built for by a shop in Utah. It is getting close to paint I just want to ensure I get the color right and that they do a good job. I was just curious if there were a few things I should tell the builder to make sure he does during the paint process. Thanks for the input!

Foot Stomper 10-20-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceman54 (Post 8367141)

I plan to go to some paint shops to have them spray out some colors based off the picture. After I get some feedback from the forum. My Blazer is being built out in Utah so I cannot go to them at the moment for color assistance. I am in Southern California.

Exactly what you need to do.

The truck pictured is a solid color. That is to say there isn't any metallics or pearl in it.
A single stage urethane is a great choice as it's durable and dries shiny when sprayed. You can color sand and buff it too. No need for a clear coat on this kind of paint, but you can ask them to apply 2 coats of clear for a deeper shine if you want, but it's not required.

Check out my build thread (link below in my signature) for some images of a single stage urethane that's been cleared.