The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question for the purists (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748086)

volksworld 10-12-2017 12:29 PM

Re: Question for the purists

special k , i understand you're not trying to misrepresent anything but the reality is that 50 year old freshly restored vehicles should be around long after we are and two or three owners and auctions later the people involved may be a little less honest...i know exactly what i built cause i'm sitting in it and dont need a piece of paper glued to the glovebox door to remind me...

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 10-12-2017 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CG (Post 8056765)
When you are restoring a truck to be as close to stock as possible do you feel it is ok to add options that were available to your year even if your truck didn't come with that option?

Lets say you had a pretty basic truck and added some factory options. One of the new things you added isn't an option, but a new spid. Would you consider it ok to add the new options to the new spid?

Basic truck, added stock air, added air con to new spid ... Ok?

Basic truck, added everything to make it a Cheyenne Super, added to spid ... Ok?

Where would you draw the line?

Add options to your heart's content. I'm adding a expansion tank and moldings to an "original" build. May even change the color or color scheme. As for manipulating a SPID, probably not OK. I thought about doing the same, but I won't. You could do that, but that should be disclosed if sold. That and the truck would be misrepresented long after you're gone.

I should add, your truck came with a build sheet. Though most wouldn't know or care to look, it's more valuable than a SPID. There's no changing a build sheet. Changing a SPID is just misrepresentation, IMO.

jeffahart 10-12-2017 12:47 PM

Always get something you don't quite want... and always covet what the other guy has. If it's a long bed... cut it into a short. If it's a short bed... make it long again. I think the main thing is to make it into something you really wanted, but didn't realize it until after the purchase.

And get rid of those dog dish hub caps.. they were ugly then and they're ugly now.

SPID be damned.

Glad I could help.. next question! :mm:

leddzepp 10-12-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffahart (Post 8059378)

SPID be damned.

Glad I could help.. next question! :mm:

Yep...just a silly sticker. :haha: It is NOT a vin plate, which is why the dmv does NOT recognize it as a form of identifying a truck. The only reason they are “faked” with added options is because people on message boards make a big deal about them.

mike16 10-12-2017 05:42 PM

some of us get a bit emotional about this issue. Myself included. I remember when the 55-57 chevy's were a dime a dozen and everybody justified over restoring them or loading them up with options or even parting them out. Now even the four door and wagon models are going thru thr roof i n terms of value. those clean origonal base models are rare and pricey. alot of people regret that they were chewed up and spit out by hobbiest like us.

Now the same dialogue is going on about our trucks.

also.... those very rare origonal, untouched trucks will soon become the refference points for high standard restorations. we see high priced restorations that are not correct and it ellcits alot of emotions in participants. all of this can be avoided if we recognise and value those origonal untouched trucks.

What i'm trying to say is that soon those origonal untouched trucks will become valuable refferences for correct restorations. It is those Correct restorations that will themselves increase in value and thus raise the value of all trucks. and raise the bar for all restorations.Its like protecting our envirionment and preserving our natural resources.

so its in the best interest of everybody to retain untouched origonal trucks in thier present state. for thier own sake, and for the sake of this hobby and for the future.

if not.... then history will repeat itself. One only has to look at the Corvette side of the hobby to know this is true. We can do this without making all the mistakes they made.

I dont think its so important who is and is not a purist. Its what your attitude is towards these origonal untouched vehicles is and how you feel about your responsabilities towards this hobby and its future. You dont have to own an origonal untouched vehicle to be a purist or support thier view. you only have to want all of our vehicles to increase in value.

all the various arguements pro and con, they have been played out over the decades in the corvette side of the hobby, so there is nothing new to debate one way or the other. its really down to who you are and why you are involved in this hobby. the sides have already been chosen. its simply a matter of which one you are on. and whether your behavior improves the hobby ....or not

special-K 10-12-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 8059410)
Yep...just a silly sticker. :haha: It is NOT a vin plate, which is why the dmv does NOT recognize it as a form of identifying a truck. The only reason they are “faked” with added options is because people on message boards make a big deal about them.

:lol: We were making SPIDs before there was an internet. The SPID is of no concern to the DMV, but it (original one) certainly is proof of what that vehicle is/was from factory...if the info matches the VIN-plate that you admit is important. It has the same VIN as the VIN-plate, the model#, and Wheelbase. It's a silly way to verify a longbed was shortened, options added or gone, Stepside or Fleetside, and even if it was a special order.

Alex V. 10-13-2017 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike16 (Post 8059532)
some of us get a bit emotional about this issue. Myself included. I remember when the 55-57 chevy's were a dime a dozen and everybody justified over restoring them or loading them up with options or even parting them out. Now even the four door and wagon models are going thru thr roof i n terms of value. those clean origonal base models are rare and pricey. alot of people regret that they were chewed up and spit out by hobbiest like us.

Now the same dialogue is going on about our trucks.

also.... those very rare origonal, untouched trucks will soon become the refference points for high standard restorations. we see high priced restorations that are not correct and it ellcits alot of emotions in participants. all of this can be avoided if we recognise and value those origonal untouched trucks.

What i'm trying to say is that soon those origonal untouched trucks will become valuable refferences for correct restorations. It is those Correct restorations that will themselves increase in value and thus raise the value of all trucks. and raise the bar for all restorations.Its like protecting our envirionment and preserving our natural resources.

so its in the best interest of everybody to retain untouched origonal trucks in thier present state. for thier own sake, and for the sake of this hobby and for the future.

if not.... then history will repeat itself. One only has to look at the Corvette side of the hobby to know this is true. We can do this without making all the mistakes they made.

I dont think its so important who is and is not a purist. Its what your attitude is towards these origonal untouched vehicles is and how you feel about your responsabilities towards this hobby and its future. You dont have to own an origonal untouched vehicle to be a purist or support thier view. you only have to want all of our vehicles to increase in value.

all the various arguements pro and con, they have been played out over the decades in the corvette side of the hobby, so there is nothing new to debate one way or the other. its really down to who you are and why you are involved in this hobby. the sides have already been chosen. its simply a matter of which one you are on. and whether your behavior improves the hobby ....or not

Very nicely said, sir.