The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   '60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=433482)

chevy_man5 12-01-2010 12:27 AM

'60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside

WOW, this got REALLY long, grab a cup of joe :mm:and sit back and get comfy! Sorry!!

This is my baby. Unfortunately, she is on hold while my step-daughter and I work on her truck. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427093

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...MC5resized.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...C3-Resized.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...C1-Resized.jpg

While working on her truck, I keep thinking and planning on my truck. I purchased it from my best friend for $1000, which was what he paid for it, when he was in need of some cash. For the most part, it has just sat around for the last 9 years. I am torn about what direction to go with on the truck, so I thought I would put it out here, because you all are some of the most creative, amazingly talented people I have even seen. Below are my visions, feel free to make suggestions, give advice, whatever! Nothing is set in stone.

After my daughter is up and running, my son is only 1 1/2 years behind her, then our youngest 2 years after that, so I am pretty busy with that for a while. My wife has a list of "honey-do's" that is piling up too. I am hoping to squeeze in some wrenching on my truck here and there, but no guarantees. Dad usually comes last, as you all probably know. LOL

A little history on my truck. It was originally purchased by the city of McCall, Idaho as a plow truck. I have already cut off the MASSIVE plow brackets that were welded on the frame. They took off the Fenderside bed, and put some kind of round tube. (just guessing by the brackets I cut off under the bed) The city sold it to a guy that put a Chevy Wideside bed on it. My friend bought it from him. The coolest thing I know about my truck is that it is the #46 truck built in 1960. According to Jollys 6066 GMC site, there is only one VIN number lower than mine on there, but his is 3/4 ton.

Ok, on to what I am debating on. Either way, she is not going to be a trailer queen. If some thing needs hauled, it'll get hauled, bumps, bruises, no worries.

My main debate is that I currently have a numbers matching low VIN truck. Do I want to customize it much, or keep it (mostly) stock.

Option #1
It has the original 305a V6 in it. I was thinking about leaving this engine, updating it with some of Jollys performance ideas, and possibly replacing the transmission, with either an automatic, or some kind of 5 speed, to get the RPM's down, and the speed up. I don't remember for sure, but I think my friend had said that it has 4.11 posi gears.

Option #2
Remove the 305a, swap in 383 (already have the base), replace the trans with some thing for the high torque, and have fun!

I'm sure there are plenty of other variations, but the custom/stock question is the root of the debate.

Color scheme I keep thinking about is suede dark charcoal gray, with color matching wheels, trim, bumpers. Basically blacked out, but with the gray color instead of black, with small amounts of Harley Orange pinstriping.

Does anyone have a picture of a 4wd '60 or '61 long fenderside from the side. I have this one that I made using pictures of my cab, and the bed I have for it. I want to be able to print it out, so I can sketch ideas out on it. Even a 2wd would work, if I can modify it to a 4wd look. I can't seem to find one online from the side. Also if anyone has a picture of a 4wd fenderside directly from the back, I could use one of those as well.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/...ideResized.jpg

SORRY for the incredibly long post!!!

jonzcustomshop 12-01-2010 01:51 AM

Re: '60 GMC 4x4 Long Fenderside

2 Attachment(s)
like it.

close as I could get for you on the pic..

chevy_man5 12-01-2010 09:34 AM

Thanks Jonz!

It looks like the Duke boys truck might have a newer hood on it, but I can just draw that out a little straighter, to make it look like the 60-61 hood.

Any others would be appreciated as well, then maybe I can mix and match to make a perfect one.

Thanks everyone!

Dudewith4x4 01-03-2011 02:06 AM

Nice truck. Gotta love the 4x4s!

duallyjams 01-08-2011 02:38 PM

Well when you get back to this one if you decide to go with option 2 with the 383 I would be interested in the frame brackets for the V6 motor mounts.

chevy_man5 01-08-2011 09:50 PM

Duallyjams, if I go that route, the brackets are yours. You would just need to cover the shipping.

duallyjams 01-09-2011 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy_man5 (Post 4396792)
Duallyjams, if I go that route, the brackets are yours. You would just need to cover the shipping.

np thanks

1985-GMC 02-14-2011 01:22 AM

Nice truck, I love that body style!

Have you seen this build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=355603 something to look forward to.

chevy_man5 02-14-2011 09:19 AM

Thank you for the compliment!

I have read through his build. It is one of my subscribed to threads. :metal: I was planning on going with some tall wide meaty tires, but those tall skinny ones look awesome, so now I have another debate. :lol:

Oh well, lots of time to think about it for now.

Alan's Classic 02-14-2011 09:36 PM

I don't have any pics that would help, but I am subscribing to this one. I would keep the original engine. I think they are cool looking. Just my .02 ;)

chevy_man5 05-31-2011 01:04 PM

Well, the big "D" is coming to my house. The back story about the final straw is on BlondieK's build in my signature. Should be right about at the end.

I may need to get this beast up and running. I only have a motorcycle for personal transportation right now, and that is difficult to haul 2 kids on. Thankfully, my boss said I can use my company truck if I HAVE to, but would prefer that i didn't if at all possible.

I am hoping someone has some kind of checklist I should go through to try to get her back on the road, and legal. I know some of you have revived trucks that most people would have left for dead.

My GMC has the 305A V6 in it. It hasn't run in about 9 years. I don't even know where to start with that. My mom's boyfriend is a mechanic, and he offered to help. I need to see if the old pig will even turn over still. I know it needs brakes, and tires, and the floor "air conditioning" is so bad, I could probably Flinstone it to get it started. I have a bed for it, but need to get it on there. etc. Looks don't matter at all, just need something rolling, and street legal.

Need to change out the gear oil in the diff's, transfer case, and the tranny.

ANY other suggestions, or words of wisdom? from anyone??

Captainfab 06-01-2011 01:36 AM

I would say, first thing is to determine if the engine will turn over. before you do turn it over much, pull the plugs and squirt some marvel mystery oil in each cylinder to help lubricate it, and loosen up the rings. Next I would change the oil and filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and fuel filter. also check the points, and replace those and the condenser if needed. Then get some fresh gas into the carb and see if she fires.

chevy_man5 06-01-2011 08:15 AM

Thanks Captainfab. If I need to resort to getting her running I will try that first. I drove onto and off of a trailer back 9 years ago when we moved into the house. Doesn't mean anything now though.

Thanks for the advice!!

chevy_man5 08-30-2011 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone! I need to see if anyone can give me the dimensions shown on this picture of my truck. It is still at the soon to be ex's house, and I cannot go there currently. I need to see if it will fit in my new garage. The frame appears to be cut off just after the spring mounts. Not sure what happened there. I know the back of the bed was floating when I took it off, so at some point someone chopped it off.

My rental house is a newer house, in a decent neighborhood, so I cannot have anything in the driveway that does not run, so I need to see if it will fit, before I hire a tow truck to "steal" my truck back.

Thanks!!!

63 Spud 08-30-2011 08:25 PM

Hey Jason. Glad to see you got a place to put your truck!
The length measurement should be right at about 16 feet give or take a couple inches. I can't help with the height.

thirdstreettito 08-30-2011 09:38 PM

Nice truck! I say restore it to original with the longstep bed, but upgrade the axles to newer axles, Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear(or D60/D70/D80). And then do whatever else you feel like doing.

chevy_man5 08-30-2011 11:38 PM

Thank you Mark! Is that measurement for a long bed? I have 19'2 total to work with, so 16' or so would give me some moving room. The door is 83" high, so that would be my only issue at this point.

Thanks Bradley! I have been looking at flatbeds around here lately, and have been liking the looks of them, but will probably stick with the long step, it just looks right that way.

Does anyone know the approximate height of a 60's 4x4?

63 Spud 08-31-2011 01:01 AM

I got that 16' measurement off my '63 C-20. I went from the front of the bumper to the back if the rear cross member where your frame got hacked off.

Captainfab 08-31-2011 01:32 AM

It's good to see you back on the forum :)

If no one comes along with a height measurement for you, you might try sending a PM to, A.T. Rockdriller, 62 short step, KTEN, or LeftCoast32. They all have 4x4's and I'm sure one or all of them would be glad to help. If your truck ends up being too tall, maybe switch to some shorter tires to get it in the garage. Maybe the original tires from your daughters truck?

I can get you a measurement on my son's '63 K10 tomorrow. It is stock height except for the 31/10.50 tires

chevy_man5 08-31-2011 07:50 AM

Thank you again Mark! Lengthwise I am good then. That leaves me 3' (ish) to move around the truck.

Captainfab, if you can get that measurement I would appreciate it. If not, I will message the guys you talked about. I don't want to take the tires from her truck, because she was actually my step-daughter, so I'm sure they would think it was stealing from them. I'm sure I can find a set of short tires around here somewhere though, if it is close to fitting. I thought about taking the front tires off, roll it in on a jack, and then put them back on, I can make it work, as long as I have enough clearance once inside.

My truck is stock height, with 31/12.5's if I remember correctly. The front springs were replaced with new stock specs, again if I remember correctly.

I haven't really left the board, just haven't had anything to post. LOL Sitting around twiddling my thumbs for the most part. Been itching BAD to get dirty again!

thirdstreettito 08-31-2011 01:25 PM

Here's some idea/inspiration for you.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=282297

chevy_man5 08-31-2011 02:37 PM

I have read through that thread several times. Thank you for the reminder though, I haven't looked at it in a while! IIRC out of all of those trucks on that thread I think only about 10 are long step-side. Which makes me want to keep the long step on it.

There is a dodge :barf: truck at the construction site near my office that has a flatbed that got me interested in flatbeds again. I brought my camera to take some pictures of it today, and apparently, he though today was a good day to not come to work. Oh well, I'll catch him!

Captainfab 08-31-2011 11:55 PM

Jason, I measured my son's '63 K10 and best I can tell, it measures 77" to the top of the crown at the back of the cab. So it sounds like you might be good to go. I hope you can get your truck in your possession again without an issue.

I think the flatbeds look best with a skirt around them, with or without tool boxes. Something like this

http://www.stephenvilletrailers.com/...latbeds/14.jpg

http://www.stephenvilletrailers.com/..._skflatbed.jpg

That is what I will be putting on my '66 C30 one of these days. Of course I will be fabbing my own :)

thirdstreettito 09-01-2011 08:06 AM

Personally I wouldn't put a western hauler(^^^) style bed on an OLD 4x4. Wouldn't look right.

chevy_man5 09-01-2011 08:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Captainfab! Using Mark's measurement last night, I scaled off that picture I had, and came up with an approximate number of 79", so between that and your number, I should be good!

Now...let the conniving begin. I need to get the truck towed, but not get anyone in trouble for it. It is my truck, and has been mine prior to marriage, it is only titled in my name. We are not divorced yet, so "technically" I can just walk into the house and take whatever I want. She threatened last time I went there for some of my things to report that I was stalking her, and get a restraining order on me, so my lawyer said to not be there at all, so that limits getting my stuff!! AAARRRGGHHH!! Oh well, things will work out!

Bradley, would, or wouldn't put the western hauler style bed on? Just curious.

This bed is similar to the on on the Dodge, but the side skirts are shorter, and do not have toolboxes in them (that I remember), and the sloped sides are hinged (I think). I haven't looked at it up close, just from the window in my office, and driving by it a few times. I have my camera again, so hopefully he is working today. I would just use my cell phone camera, but it takes crappy pictures!!

thirdstreettito 09-01-2011 08:47 AM

Wouldn't lol fixed it. Western hauler beds weren't around until the late 70's, they dont match the pre-72 body styles. Not unless you want to spend $5,000 on a custom bulit one to match the trucks style.

chevy_man5 09-01-2011 08:50 AM

I have also been thinking that if I build a flatbed for it, or even if I go with the step bed, that I may leave the frame shortened, and make it more of a bobbed truck. It looks like about 12" - 13" is missing. This is all theory though, too many ideas, too far down the road.

My first goal is get the truck, next would be get it running, street legal, and safe, then on to optional things.

chevy_man5 09-01-2011 08:53 AM

That's what I thought you meant, just wanted to clarify. :lol:

I only paid $1k for the truck, so a $5k bed is OUT!! LOL I would probably design and build my own. Custom for less!!

chevy_man5 09-02-2011 12:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally caught up with the guy that had the flatbed I liked. I would probably make the sides gang down a little lover, or move the whole bed down more, just to cover up some of the visible parts and pieces under there, and size down the back a little, but this is the overall style I liked.

I don't know that I would hinge the upper side panels like he has, or just make them removable.

chevy_man5 09-02-2011 03:22 PM

WOW, I was typing that fast, to try to get it on here, and get of the website before my boss came upstairs. hang...not gang and lower...not lover. :crazy:

bubba327 09-03-2011 12:13 AM

Hey Jason , I am glad you are getting things back together again!!! Things will work out and this will be over soon.:mm:

chevy_man5 09-07-2011 12:18 PM

Does anyone local know of a relatively cheap towing service with a flatbed/rollback truck, that would haul my GMC. I have room now, and am trying to get every thing set up to go get my truck!

thirdstreettito 09-07-2011 12:24 PM

Get Triple A. 3-5 free tows per year up to 120mi. WORTH IT. Seriously, you wont know how you lived without it.

chevy_man5 09-07-2011 01:11 PM

Can I get AAA on a not street legal vehicle? If so, would the coverage apply right away?

I haven't ever had it, so am not sure?

thirdstreettito 09-07-2011 01:24 PM

I've used it to move 3 vehicles that hadn't been on the road in years. And used it to move friends vehicles. Call AAA and ask them, trust me, they know more than I do.

chevy_man5 09-07-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I will definitely give them a call.

Alan's Classic 09-07-2011 11:49 PM

Sorry to hear about the Big D, hope things work out well.

chevy_man5 09-08-2011 09:05 AM

Thanks Alan. Your build is coming along great by the way!!

Bradley, I called AAA and they said that it was $70 + one time charge of $10 per year. Includes (4) tows per year. When I asked them how soon it kicks in, the guy got a little huffy, and said I would have to wait until I got my permanent card to have a vehicle towed. It takes about 2 weeks. I explained a little of my situation, and he calmed down. He said that people sign up, have their rig towed the next day, then fight with them to cancel their service right after that. I told him I am not trying to screw anyone over, just trying to get my truck home. He went back to being nice and friendly after that.

I'm not sure if I will go that route, because basically, that is what I am trying to do, sign up, just to get my truck towed. I have full coverage on my motorcycle, which includes towing and roadside assistance, and don't have any other vehicles...yet, so don't really need the coverage. Oh well, I'll keep thinking about it, and see what comes up.

thirdstreettito 09-08-2011 09:53 AM

I personally thinks it's a great deal for $10 a year, especially because your daughter will be driving the 65 someday in the future. It's great peace of mind knowing that she can call AAA and get a trusted driver to tow her truck, or give her a jump if you can't make it to help. Just my $.02 :)

chevy_man5 09-08-2011 12:53 PM

Sorry, that didn't type out very clear. It's $70 per year, and a one time $10 charge.

I won't have to worry about her driving. She is actually my step-daughter, and her mother and I are in the process of divorcing. When my two kids (14 and 12) get to driving, then it definitely does sound like a great idea. I am going to look into it a little more, and see if the discounts they offer, may make it worthwhile anyway.

Thank you again for the idea, that is definitely one I had not even thought about.