The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   tjs 72 Blazer Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626752)

DeadheadNM 06-28-2015 10:39 PM

Re: tjs 72 Blazer Build

Nice progress - looking great!

IronCanine 06-28-2015 11:52 PM

Strong work Jeff...very tidy.

...but I'm beginning to feel like we need to start an InLine Tube support group.

tjsblazer 06-29-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7224684)
Nice progress - looking great!

Thanks Pete. It has been a little one step forward, two back but what restoration doesn't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 7224786)
Strong work Jeff...very tidy.

...but I'm beginning to feel like we need to start an InLine Tube support group.

I'm with you on that. Fortunately Mike (72k5cstdarkolive) has helped me out with some info and pics from his to show Inline to compare. I think Inline is going to make it right on their dime but I'm not going to get too excited until I have them here and mounted.

CUSTOM/10 07-01-2015 12:57 PM

Hey Jeff !

I just read through your engine build thread and your engine is similar to mine. 383, 89 roller block, cam is similar for low end torque, but I used worked over GM cast iron vortec heads.

As I was reading through the build I was on the edge of my seat until you finally showed a picture that had the block casting numbers ( 638 ). I say this because the next engine block after this casting was 880. It was use for the same applications, but the cylinder bores were about 3/8 of an inch shorter and are not good for a long stroked 383. The pistons come out of the bottom of the bores too much and cause a nasty rattle.

Glad you used the 638 block !!!

Gary

tjsblazer 07-02-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CUSTOM/10 (Post 7227638)
Hey Jeff !

I just read through your engine build thread and your engine is similar to mine. 383, 89 roller block, cam is similar for low end torque, but I used worked over GM cast iron vortec heads.

As I was reading through the build I was on the edge of my seat until you finally showed a picture that had the block casting numbers ( 638 ). I say this because the next engine block after this casting was 880. It was use for the same applications, but the cylinder bores were about 3/8 of an inch shorter and are not good for a long stroked 383. The pistons come out of the bottom of the bores too much and cause a nasty rattle.

Glad you used the 638 block !!!

Gary

Gary. Glad you enjoyed the thread. I'm going to chalk that up to dumb luck as I wouldn't have known. I did have a very knowledgeable friend helping me out so he might have.
Cheers.

CUSTOM/10 07-02-2015 12:21 PM

I almost found out the hard way.The first block I was going to use was a 638 but the engine shop found a crack in it. So they were going to sell me an 880 block. So I did some research and found a thread on the internet about these 2 blocks and using them for 383 strokers. That's where I got my info, so I checked with the engine builder and he had another 638. I believe it also has something to do with what length rode you use.

Gary

SONOSADSACK 07-08-2015 10:04 PM

Looking good. I like the level of detail and will keep watching for updates. Subscribed

NKorando 08-09-2015 12:29 AM

Hey TJ, hope you get this I was checking out pic #97-98 and seen you are using the ORD style shackles, what bushings or spacers are you using between the leaf and the shackle?
Thanks

tjsblazer 08-09-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NKorando (Post 7267971)
Hey TJ, hope you get this I was checking out pic #97-98 and seen you are using the ORD style shackles, what bushings or spacers are you using between the leaf and the shackle?
Thanks

I bought all the bushings and hardware from ORD also. They sell them in kits for both front and rear. If you give them a call they can set you up. I ended up using their greaseable bolt kits. I have found the price for you get competitive. Cheers.

GPS1975 10-16-2015 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7050457)
Got a set of custom Alcan 2" springs.
Fronts are 8 leaf, Rears are 10 leaf and I had the axle pin set back slightly to help align the tire in the wheel well better than stock. They put double military style wraps on all the front position eyes but this thing will never see rough off road.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/x...pse8eea0d0.jpg

Jeff. I like the Blazer Build. I was wanting to do a similar small lift on my 72 Blazer that would have a decent ride and maintain an even vehicle height on the front and back and I was wondering what were the specs that you went with when working with Bill over at Alican for your spring setup?

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPS1975 (Post 7343565)
Jeff. I like the Blazer Build. I was wanting to do a similar small lift on my 72 Blazer that would have a decent ride and maintain an even vehicle height on the front and back and I was wondering what were the specs that you went with when working with Bill over at Alican for your spring setup?

Hi and welcome to the forum. I actually ordered mine through OffRoadDesign. They are about 1.5 hours from Alcan Spring and use them for all their custom springs. I dealt with Stephen there. I think he does all their spring specs. I was travelling a lot for work and it was easier for me to just email Stephen all the details of my truck and what I wanted. They know Chevy stuff extremely well. I hope when it is all back together that they function as advertised.

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally a few hours this week to work on the Blazer.

Had to machine the tranny mounts to clearance by the back end of the 5th gear tailstock on the NV4500 transmission.

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 08:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the NP205 rehung and sealed up to the 5 spd transmission. That is some heavy metal !! I used a floor jack with a piece of plywood on it to take the weight and then a buddy and I just rotated it in to place.

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have to fab up a new stand to go between the tranny and the mounts. The original one made was too tall. Right now I just have a floor jack under it to take the bulk of the weight till I get one in there. Just going to come up with some quick temp thing for now. I'll make something more professional / oe looking in the long run.

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 08:47 PM

I put a tape measure on the output yoke on the back of the transfer case and measured for center between the frame rails. Right now it is sitting 1/2" towards the left. Seems difficult to correct though as that side mount on the transfer case pretty much dictates where it sits left to right. I might be able to get a little wiggle in it but not 1/2".

How big of a deal is the 1/2" offset. I'm sure they weren't perfect from the factory but I never checked any of this stuff before I pulled it apart. No idea if the differential yoke is perfectly centered but I'm sure they aren't.

tjsblazer 10-16-2015 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture from the other side showing where I need to fab a stand between the tranny and mount pad.

GPS1975 10-17-2015 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7343664)
Hi and welcome to the forum. I actually ordered mine through OffRoadDesign. They are about 1.5 hours from Alcan Spring and use them for all their custom springs. I dealt with Stephen there. I think he does all their spring specs. I was travelling a lot for work and it was easier for me to just email Stephen all the details of my truck and what I wanted. They know Chevy stuff extremely well. I hope when it is all back together that they function as advertised.

Thanks I appreciate the info. I will check in to it a bit more.

SleepyK5 10-17-2015 03:51 PM

I'm running the same transmission and transfer case setup you are. About to get mine on the road finally!

Chad22873 01-19-2016 11:37 PM

Any updates?

tjsblazer 01-20-2016 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad22873 (Post 7454179)
Any updates?

Sorry guys, just boring body work stuff. Not much metal work really cause the tub was clean but I don't do body work so it is in Body shop prison. Cleaning up a bunch of extra holes and some small firewall mods. I keep getting told it will be painted "next week" for the past 3 months. It is getting closer but slowly. I stop in weekly to nudge it along.

Problem is it is Winter time up here and Canada which means they are in to a lot of Insurance work. I'm not paying nearly that labour rate so I have to wait ...

I have taken some pictures. I'll get them downsized and posted over the next week. Once I get the tub back on I can get back in to the more interesting reassembly story.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-20-2016 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsblazer (Post 7454437)
Sorry guys, just boring body work stuff. Not much metal work really cause the tub was clean but I don't do body work so it is in Body shop prison. Cleaning up a bunch of extra holes and some small firewall mods. I keep getting told it will be painted "next week" for the past 3 months. It is getting closer but slowly. I stop in weekly to nudge it along.

Problem is it is Winter time up here and Canada which means they are in to a lot of Insurance work. I'm not paying nearly that labour rate so I have to wait ...

I have taken some pictures. I'll get them downsized and posted over the next week. Once I get the tub back on I can get back in to the more interesting reassembly story.

I think we have something in common. I've been told it's going to get primered for the last 5 months or so.. "Body shop prison" couldn't agree more with that.

Did you ever get that T-Case bushing mounts figured out? I'll be loosing mine this Friday to remove the Transmission so I can put in a new torque converter. I can check which way they go and let you know.

tjsblazer 01-20-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 7454797)
I think we have something in common. I've been told it's going to get primered for the last 5 months or so.. "Body shop prison" couldn't agree more with that.

Did you ever get that T-Case bushing mounts figured out? I'll be loosing mine this Friday to remove the Transmission so I can put in a new torque converter. I can check which way they go and let you know.

Thanks but I got that squared away. Amazing that about 50/50 which way people thought they went but I found a picture I had before tear down.

Cheers.

72K5CSTDarkOlive 01-22-2016 11:39 PM

Good to hear. Out of curiosity.. which way did you put the bushings in?

tjsblazer 01-23-2016 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive (Post 7457703)
Good to hear. Out of curiosity.. which way did you put the bushings in?

The thicker one is at the bottom between the mount and frame rail. Once I started to take measurements this made sense. Of course after I asked the question, took measurements, and got it back together I found this picture I had taken of the original when it was removed.

tjsblazer 02-06-2016 06:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So as solid as this truck was it had lots of piercings. I can't believe how many screw holes had to be welded up.
On top of that there was a small patch required on the front passenger floor which I think was probably the result of a leaky roof over the years.

Also the second owner was kind enough to beat the crap out of the firewall to clearance it for an engine removal and reinstall. It was stretched all out so replaced that also.

A couple of pics of the rough metal work.