The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   dang AD door adjustment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765394)

Fred n' Ethel 06-10-2018 09:13 PM

dang AD door adjustment

Hi folks. I searched a bit, no find.
With the AD door shut, how much of the door weight is to be carried by the striker ?
The door is bouncing up and down and banging on the striker. If I slide the striker up as far as it will go to support the latch and keep it from banging, the door then hits at the top at the drip gutter.

Are the door hinges adjusted too high holding the door up too high at the rear edge ?
I live on a rough road and the banging is buggin me.
Thanks.

mongocanfly 06-10-2018 10:18 PM

Re: dang AD door adjustment

sounds like your door hinges are worn if your door is bouncing up &down

MARTINSR 06-10-2018 10:58 PM

As with any car or truck, you never want the striker to do ANYTHING but hold the door shut with the latch. So the door has to be adjusted so that it fits properly without the striker even in.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 06-10-2018 11:16 PM

Do you have the rubber bumpers installed? I'd also look at your door seals. They should exert some pressure around the perimeter of the door to cushion it and prevent movement. If the door is bouncing, the bumpers may be missing or the seals not be tight enough.

Fred n' Ethel 06-10-2018 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8278975)
As with any car or truck, you never want the striker to do ANYTHING but hold the door shut with the latch. So the door has to be adjusted so that it fits properly without the striker even in.

Brian

Maybe the latch is part of the problem.
The striker has a flat bottom "shelf" with a contoured upper surface for the rolling latch to engage. I am going in to the second click but then maybe there is too much clearance from the latch part of the mechanism to the lower shelf. With the door shut completely, it will bounce up and down and bang on the shelf of the striker.
With the door open just a few inches, there is very little movement when forced up and down at the trailing edge.
I'll see if I can lower the rear edge of the door a bit by adjusting the hinges.
Thanks

Fred n' Ethel 06-10-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8278993)
Do you have the rubber bumpers installed? I'd also look at your door seals. They should exert some pressure around the perimeter of the door to cushion it and prevent movement. If the door is bouncing, the bumpers may be missing or the seals not be tight enough.

The door seals look new.
What do you mean by the "bumpers" ?
I can adjust the striker in and out to where it latches up perfectly with a gentle slam. But it will still bounce up and down just enough to bang on a rough road.
Thanks