The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Shift linkage for 1960 3 on the tree (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735630)

Cletus1960 04-16-2017 03:29 AM

Shift linkage for 1960 3 on the tree

So I have a 1960 Chevy c10. Previous owner put a 82 Buick v6 in it. I got rid of that and found a 1962 Chevy 235 with the 3 speed trans on it out of another c10 so that I can just drop it in to my truck since the frames were the same. The only issue is that the trans was switched to a floor shifter and I would prefer to go back to the original column shifter. The original column is still in my truck but I am missing all linkages from the column to the trans.
Now I'm learning everything as I go but I'm assuming that I would need to find 3 speed linkage off of a 60 61 or a 62 only since the frame changed after that and I know the transmissions changed around this time from what I have read in other threads, so I'm not sure the later year linkage would work. Not sure if that is correct though.
If any other years would work, anyone know what they may be? Otherwise I will continue to search for the correct year linkage.
Thanks in advance
-Josh

AcampoDave 04-16-2017 10:17 AM

Re: Shift linkage for 1960 3 on the tree

Obviously, the closer you get to your exact application the better. But these days with the scarcity of good parts, you may need to use the parts of different years and a little creativity to get the job done. Hopefully you can still stay in the ballpark of 60-66 during your search. I don't think that they changed much thru all those years.

Cletus1960 04-19-2017 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 7917238)
Obviously, the closer you get to your exact application the better. But these days with the scarcity of good parts, you may need to use the parts of different years and a little creativity to get the job done. Hopefully you can still stay in the ballpark of 60-66 during your search. I don't think that they changed much thru all those years.

Thanks and yea near the correct era is the plan, hopefully a 60-62.

Anyone here have any experience modifying other years linkage to work? Or know of any scrap yards with some older trucks in them that I could scavenge parts off of. Pick n Pull generally only has 90 and newer stuff and I don't know of any older vehicle scrap yards around the Bay Area.

AcampoDave 04-19-2017 10:22 AM

Sometimes Pic n'Pull can surprise you. Check their inventory on the website for the various yards. And of course there are swap meets too. They hold them semi-anually in Stockton and Turlock. There also is a huge one in Sacramento coming up really soon but I'm not sure when. (I saw a poster and all I remeber is Cal-Expo). Also check the classifieds on this site. Many people remove the 3 speed for more modern stuff so you know they are out there.

reed62 04-19-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cletus1960 (Post 7919692)
Thanks and yea near the correct era is the plan, hopefully a 60-62.

Anyone here have any experience modifying other years linkage to work? Or know of any scrap yards with some older trucks in them that I could scavenge parts off of. Pick n Pull generally only has 90 and newer stuff and I don't know of any older vehicle scrap yards around the Bay Area.

I might be able to assist....there is a wrecking yard about an hour from me that has dozens of older 60-66 rigs. I might be able to find a linkage for you if you don't have any luck elsewhere. if you can get a pic of it I can see what I can find. I think I might even have one laying around since my truck was originally a I-6 and 3 speed

Cletus1960 04-19-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AcampoDave (Post 7919827)
Sometimes Pic n'Pull can surprise you. Check their inventory on the website for the various yards. And of course there are swap meets too. They hold them semi-anually in Stockton and Turlock. There also is a huge one in Sacramento coming up really soon but I'm not sure when. (I saw a poster and all I remeber is Cal-Expo). Also check the classifieds on this site. Many people remove the 3 speed for more modern stuff so you know they are out there.

Yea I have seen one at pick n pull so far but sadly that was before I realized I was going to need the linkage. Changed my route for the motor a few times. The Turlock swap meet is great, haven't been to Stockton or Sacramento's yet, will have to look into those.

Cletus1960 04-19-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reed62 (Post 7919904)
I might be able to assist....there is a wrecking yard about an hour from me that has dozens of older 60-66 rigs. I might be able to find a linkage for you if you don't have any luck elsewhere. if you can get a pic of it I can see what I can find. I think I might even have one laying around since my truck was originally a I-6 and 3 speed

Thanks hat would be much appreciated, I will continue to look and will let you know if I still can't find them.
I will try to find some pictures of what they should look like since I have never seen them.

Cletus1960 04-20-2017 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reed62 (Post 7919904)

Thanks Reed62 but I think I have found the parts I need from Aspen Auto. They have a lot of good stuff for our trucks it turns out. Thanks again and I appreciate you willing to look.
Joshua