The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Somthing binding every once in a while? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=772759)

Chilly178 10-07-2018 10:31 AM

Somthing binding every once in a while?

Hello, I have a 72 C20 with a 350, SM465, and Eaton no spin rear end 4.10 with the locker. I have changed the fluid in the transmission and the rear end with Mobil 1 gear oil within the last few years. Also the engine is brand new. I haven't touched any of the u joints, carrier bearing, and never removed the diff cover. Once in a while I get some sort of binding or something where its kinda like a pop and the whole truck hesitates for a second then keeps going. Its one of those things where when your friends hear it they think you just blew something or hit a big pot hole then you tell them no it does that once in a while. I'm thinking it happens when I turn a corner for the most part. Seems like it could be possibly getting more frequent. Any ideas? It's gotta be in the drive line somewhere. Also my rear brakes are squealing now at very low speeds like a crawl and they sqeal when I hit the brakes, but not all the time. I just replaced the brake shoes (not the springs) and brake cylinders two years ago and I'm annoyed that I have an issue back there because taking the inner axles out to get the drums off is a pain. I tried backing up in reverse then stomping on the brakes but it didn't seem to help. I'm pretty sure it isn't the E brake because the cable was adjusted last spring and it doesn't seem to be dragging. I know there is an adjustment for the shoes you can get to without taking the drums off not sure if they need adjusting? Any ideas on my issues? I'm thinking that my rear end is gonna get torn apart this winter, which sucks becasue I need to rip into the front end and replace all those suspension components because its all really old. Owning an old vehicle is hard work.

garyd1961 10-07-2018 03:01 PM

Re: Somthing binding every once in a while?

edit, better let someone else answer.

HO455 10-07-2018 06:16 PM

Are you sure about your Posi being a locker? It sounds like you have a clutch style Posi and you are feeling the clutches grabbing and releasing. It happens when turning as the wheels have to turn at different speeds. The heavier the load the more pronounced it will be. A shot of Posi lube may be all you need. Posi lube does lose its effectiveness over time. The Posi in my Burban was so tight at first I had to run two bottles of lube to get it to quit shuddering.
The Detroit Locker I ran in my GTO years ago was noisy and chattered on every corner taken slowly. That doesn't sound like what you're experiencing.

Chilly178 10-07-2018 06:25 PM

It was to my understanding that the eaton no spin was a mechanical locker and didn't use clutches. Only gear oil is required, but I could be wrong.

Mike C 10-07-2018 06:47 PM

The occasional "pop" is characteristic of a tru-locking differential. Not much you can do about it but get a different kind of traction device.

I have a PowerTrax No-Slip in the back of my CJ5 and while it is less obtrusive than a LockRight, it still binds up and "pops" sometimes.

With a clutch type LSD, you might get "chatter" but it won't bind up and pop like a true locker does. One of the reasons no OEM sells a mechanical auto locking diff anymore.

Chilly178 10-07-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike C (Post 8359056)
The occasional "pop" is characteristic of a tru-locking differential. Not much you can do about it but get a different kind of traction device.

I have a PowerTrax No-Slip in the back of my CJ5 and while it is less obtrusive than a LockRight, it still binds up and "pops" sometimes.

With a clutch type LSD, you might get "chatter" but it won't bind up and pop like a true locker does. One of the reasons no OEM sells a mechanical auto locking diff anymore.

Ohhh okay thank you for clearing that up! I wasn't sure it was something going out or something. Not worried now if thats just a characteristic of the eaton no slip rear end with that mechanical locker. Thanks for clearing that up.

jeffahart 10-08-2018 11:08 AM

Yes those Detroit lockers get nerve wracking. You feel like something really must break with how hard they bang sometimes.

Also, just for the sake of it. Check your drive shaft and make sure the slip is not too far compressed. If your shaft is too long and it is almost fully compressed, you can get a clunk when the suspension is articulating. I've seen it on front shafts with heavy breaking, giving a heavy clunk when the shaft bottoms out.
Just a thought. But you get if after turning corners, that spells Detroit Locker. :chevy:

j