The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   soft topper tops (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=745711)

6768chevylover 08-30-2017 05:10 PM

soft topper tops

Has Soft topper tops improved on there soft top yet for our Blazers around the door window area. They are very nice looking but dont want to buy one if its gonna leak.

72gmguy 08-30-2017 09:11 PM

Re: soft topper tops

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased mine two years ago and it works ok but is not water tight. I wouldn't leave it out of the garage in a rain storm. Anyone else have a top purchased more recently?
Attachment 1685784

Lieferson 08-31-2017 01:25 PM

I dont think its possible to have a soft top that doesnt leak honestly. I contemplated running full truck doors on my K5 and getting a soft top, just to see if that helps most people think thats sacrilege though.

robs71k5 09-01-2017 01:59 AM

I have been working on a couple different solutions to the problem. Just hhavent had time to get the products into a finished productive state and don't think it will be very acceptable here to offer my solutions so may have a new site to kick off my new solutions.

Saluqui 09-01-2017 11:10 AM

They have a new design at Softopper for Gen1 Blazers. It's like 2 miles from my work. I'm going up there today at lunch...

robs71k5 09-03-2017 01:06 AM

Any chance you could post what the differences. Are specailly around the windows. For my liking I would line to see more material around the top of the window because it's tight to seal it at the top

6768chevylover 09-05-2017 03:06 PM

It might make me buy one if they do fix the window problem. please post any differences. hopefully they are selling the upgrade now..

69-72 09-10-2017 02:24 PM

Also interested on the differences of a new version

jjzepplin 09-10-2017 03:06 PM

Subbed for info

CJM72 09-10-2017 06:11 PM

Also in for info on a revised Softopper! Would kill for some zip off sides!

truckster 09-10-2017 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robs71k5 (Post 8029566)
I have been working on a couple different solutions to the problem. Just hhavent had time to get the products into a finished productive state and don't think it will be very acceptable here to offer my solutions so may have a new site to kick off my new solutions.

Why not? I think Blazer owners would love to have a good solution. I've been thinking I'm going to have to design my own.

robs71k5 09-10-2017 08:06 PM

I don't think there is much interest as long as we are buying what they're selling . I approached Bob at Softopper a couple years ago with my concerns and how they could effectively with my Header contribute to a leak proof top ,even to the extent I would fly down there and spend a week with them to hash it out but got no interest . So I don't think anything is about to change as long as we are buying what they are selling . I have gone to the lengths of buying an industrial sewing machine and have aspirations to complete this project if any takers out there . Would put up anyone with good experience for a solid week to come up with a pattern to take to the shop for mass production . Just need experienced apholstery person with a Blazer needing a top or atleast someone withgood knowledge how to lay it out for sewing . I'm sure a couple of us here have enough knowledge to scape a couple tops together to copy with confidence of a leak free product .

hemi43 09-13-2017 01:45 PM

Not sure what the issue is with the way the Softopper is currently made? I've had mine for a few years and wouldn't hesitate leaving the truck out in the rain. The only leaks I get when driving in heavy rain is through the stitch holes above my head where the Velcro is attached. It would be nice to get rid of the nickel sized holes directly above the 1/4 glass, but they don't really leak that bad. The only modification I did was not to use the supplied aluminum strip that is supposed to go above the windshield header. Instead I used it as a drill fixture and mounted the snaps right to the truck's header. Makes for a way cleaner look.

Saluqui 09-13-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69-72 (Post 8036383)
Also interested on the differences of a new version

I'm going to install this weekend. Looks like the only difference I notice so far is the header bar has 10 tabs with holes that need to be screwed to the windshield frame. The tabs are flush with the inside edge of the frame instead of the 6 it used to have right in the middle of the frame.

6768chevylover 09-13-2017 03:24 PM

http://IMG_2621 they had improved the door window area.

72gmguy 09-13-2017 04:33 PM

Was there supposed to be a picture In the last post? What was the improvement?

Saluqui 09-13-2017 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72gmguy (Post 8038988)
Was there supposed to be a picture In the last post? What was the improvement?

file:///C:/Users/taalberg/Downloads/Gen1BlazerInstructions.pdf

Saluqui 09-13-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saluqui (Post 8038990)
file:///C:/Users/taalberg/Downloads/Gen1BlazerInstructions.pdf

Sorry..the whole linking stuff to forums thing over taxes my patience. Go to the soft topper site and they should have the latest install instructions for Blazers.

hemi43 09-13-2017 05:23 PM

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Gen...structions.pdf

I checked out the directions and it seems like most of the design changes are the brackets. The header part has no domes anymore so this eliminates the gasket. Not sure if I like the new way of holding it on because you're stuck with that ugly aluminum bracket and there's no way around it. Also the rail brackets are now an angle compared to the old square tubing. Another change it the door surround bracket. It's now one piece curved and looks like it will be a pain to remove and/or store. Hopefully someone will post some pics of the fabric installed to see if they fixed some of the issues.

robs71k5 09-19-2017 08:44 PM

Just down loaded the new instructions and just proves they don't listen to their customers. Still need to find out if the doors can open with windows up. Extreme disappointment from what I see

69-72 09-19-2017 10:00 PM

Going by the pictures in the manual I’m thinking the original design is more aesthetically pleasing when the top is down.

robs71k5 09-19-2017 10:49 PM

Yes and on top of that looks like your still drilling holes.

hemi43 09-20-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robs71k5 (Post 8043597)
Just down loaded the new instructions and just proves they don't listen to their customers. Still need to find out if the doors can open with windows up. Extreme disappointment from what I see

Why would you assume the doors wont open with the windows up? The window sits on the outside of the Softopper. The issue with the old design was that you had to be careful rolling up the window with the doors closed because the glass could have gone on the inside. This problem seems to have been resolved with the new top design.

69-72 09-20-2017 10:02 AM

I can open my doors with the windows up on the old style.

hemi43 09-20-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69-72 (Post 8043955)
I can open my doors with the windows up on the old style.

The difficulty with the old style is rolling up the windows when the door is closed. Everything goes fine until you're 3 inches away from the window being closed, the the glass wants to go on the inside of the Softopper. I don't think this will be possible with the new design, thankfully.