The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   73-80 Side trim adhesive clips (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774803)

stomper 11-08-2018 12:56 PM

73-80 Side trim adhesive clips

What are you all doing to replace/restore the side trim clips that have the adhesive? I haven't found the clips available from parts suppliers. Do I have to restore what I've got? i.e remove the old adhesive pad and attach a new pad to the plastic clip?

75C10 11-08-2018 03:51 PM

Re: 73-80 Side trim adhesive clips

When I purchased my repro side moldings along with extra clips I found the adhesive tape was poor and required replacing. And the clips didnt fit the moldings quite the same. So off to Pick your Part and gather up GM clips and clean them and then apply new fresh two sided adhesive and then the molding stayed attached. I also reused the GM metal clips as the repros were not good. And I am being kind with my comments.

stanski 11-11-2018 11:53 AM

Re-using the original pads with new 3M tape is better than the crappy ones that are supplied with the new repop trim. But, my preference for better adhesion and for getting the trim tight to the body without those ugly air gaps is to put a pea sized dab of urethane windshield sealer on the trim then tape the trim tightly against the body and leave overnight. It works great. If you need to remove the trim down the road, slide a thin steel putty knife against the sealer and a few taps with a hammer and it cuts right through.

stomper 11-11-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanski (Post 8382038)
Re-using the original pads with new 3M tape is better than the crappy ones that are supplied with the new repop trim. But, my preference for better adhesion and for getting the trim tight to the body without those ugly air gaps is to put a pea sized dab of urethane windshield sealer on the trim then tape the trim tightly against the body and leave overnight. It works great. If you need to remove the trim down the road, slide a thin steel putty knife against the sealer and a few taps with a hammer and it cuts right through.

Thanks for sharing your tip! This sounds excellent.

CDN Sharky 01-04-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanski (Post 8382038)

What kind of tape did you use to hold the trim on the truck?

stanski 01-06-2019 10:10 AM

Just used masking tape to hold the trim tight to the body till the urethane cures.