The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I lost my best friend yesterday (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=301867)

smbrouss70 08-04-2008 08:22 PM

I lost my best friend yesterday

I really don't know how to put what I'm feeling into words. My best friend for the past 11 1/2 years passed away yesterday. Rest In Peace, Oscar.

He was the best protecter for my wife while I was working out of town. He wouldn't let men into our house unless I was there, even men that he already knew. He was good natured, gentle with children, and thought it was more important to put a smile on other's faces, than to worry about his own problems.

Oscar loved classic trucks more than I do probably. He used to love to ride in the bed and stick his head around the side of the cab, so that his lips could flap in the wind. When I bought my blazer in Arizona, he rode there with me, and just enjoyed the trip even though it was too hot to let him ride in the bed the whole time. When I got home, I wanted to strip my 70 swb to put the drivetrain and everything else into the blazer to get it on the road faster. He wouldn't let me, he needed that truck to ride in. Needless to say, I couldn't deprive him of what he wanted, so after that the truck became HIS. If I could've legally put it in his name, I would have. Since I couldn't, I've recently ordered a personalized plate that will read "OSCAR B" so that everyone that sees his truck will know that it's really his, I'm just the care-taker.

He made many trips with us. The Arizona trip, Niagara Falls, the Corvette Museum (those bastards wouldn't let him in), the 67-72 National Board meet last year, up to Wynne's house to get some parts, and just anytime we went anywhere, he was along for the ride.

He had some tumors removed from his stomach in Feb. that turned out to be benign. One of them grew back with-in 3-4 months, and was growing in such a way that it could not be removed. It eventually got the best of him, and this last week I had to pick him up for him to go outside. We both knew that his time was short, so I spent his last week sleeping on the floor in the kitchen and living room, so that I couldn't look back and wish I had spent more time with him. Yesterday I called my cousin, who is a Vet in Lafayette, to come and put him down because neither of us could take his suffering anymore. I know that I did the right thing, but I can't help but feel guilty about it. I really miss him.

I've included some pictures from when I first got his truck, can't you tell how excited he was to get to ride in that classic piece of steel? The other picture is just one of my favorites, that I wanted to share.

I'm sorry if I rambled here, but I just needed to get this out and let all of you know how wonderful, and how special he was.

I will always Love You, Oscar!

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/P8120029.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...TruckLover.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...rHelpingMe.jpg

LUV2XCLR8 08-04-2008 08:24 PM

Re: I lost my best friend yesterday

Sorry for your loss Stevo, Was he at the board meet 2007? (Name sounds familiar)

Cyclone44 08-04-2008 08:27 PM

Sorry to here about your loss.....

smbrouss70 08-04-2008 08:29 PM

Yes he was Craig. He and Ratchet kept the floor warm in the camper.

Thanks George.

LUV2XCLR8 08-04-2008 08:42 PM

I thought so, Besides you and Brandi I hope Ratchet can cope with the loss, RIP

BillGent 08-04-2008 09:11 PM

I'm sorry that you lost a good buddy like that. When the grief gets a little easier and it doesn't hurt so much, give another small pup a chance to the great life you gave Oscar.

It won't be the same, but it can be just as wonderful in a different way.

I'd be willing to bet Oscar would want you to have another buddy.

N2TRUX 08-04-2008 09:42 PM

He did what a good old dog was supposed to do. He loved his people and protected those when they needed it. It just don't get any better than that. RIP Oscar.....:metal:

62 short step 08-04-2008 09:47 PM

Sorry for your loss Steven.

Riveted1 08-04-2008 10:03 PM

Sorry for your loss. I got all teary-eyed reading your post. Sounds like he was a good one. I can't imagine a day when my lil buddy isn't here anymore. Even on my worst days, I can just look at him and I have to smile.

BLE 'BURBAN 08-04-2008 10:12 PM

rainbow bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

special-K 08-04-2008 10:21 PM

Can`t beat a good dog.It`s breakin`my heart to hear this.You did the best you could and more than most.You know that.Don`t feel guilty.Feel good as how Oscar did dying knowing he had a master that couldn`t love him more.That`s what a dog lives for.Kindred spirits is what they are.An animal we can communicate with w/o words.

R.I.P. Oscar...

72BlckButy 08-04-2008 10:40 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss, you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

BigDaddyDave 08-04-2008 11:42 PM

I went through the same thing a few years ago, i will keep you in my thoughts. Just remember you did the right thing!

Dragster66ss 08-05-2008 12:02 AM

My lil gal is right here beside me, asleep as I type... You did the right thing. I've been there more than once, and it is possibly the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Done ony with the guidance of my Dad.

I pray you find peace very soon....

Also agree with eventually finding a puppy. They never replace, but they're still awesome :)

... Understanding what you're goin thru.

smbrouss70 08-05-2008 12:16 AM

It really means a lot to us, that all of you guys offer your sympathies and words of encouragement.

From the bottom of my heart, "Thank You!"

As far as another puppy, I will get one, just not right now. We also have another dog (Ratchet) that has played second fiddle these last couple of weeks, and I promised him that he would get our full attention and love when the time came. He's pretty depressed too. All he has ever known was he had a big brother that would keep him company while we were at work. If he needs a little brother, even before I am ready, we'll go a pick out a pup from the pound. Thanks Again Guys.

streetstar 08-05-2008 12:18 AM

God bless your dog, friend. and you too.

It is incredible the importance our pets play in our lives. Not quite like children, different sure, but still very painful when there is a loss

I can't imagine a day without my cats and dog

streetstar 08-05-2008 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrouss70 (Post 2836267)
It really means a lot to us, that all of you guys offer your sympathies and words of encouragement.

From the bottom of my heart, "Thank You!"

As far as another puppy, I will get one, just not right now. We also have another dog (Ratchet) that has played second fiddle these last couple of weeks, and I promised him that he would get our full attention and love when the time came. He's pretty depressed too. All he has ever known was he had a big brother that would keep him company while we were at work. If he needs a little brother, even before I am ready, we'll go a pick out a pup from the pound. Thanks Again Guys.

Watch that Ratchet, he may get depressed. He misses his big bro in his own way -- - he gets confused and depressed too, he just can't express himself the way a human can

67chevyguy 08-05-2008 12:46 AM

RIP Oscar.

That third pic of you him and the truck would be grea framed in the living room IMO.

redneckgirl 08-05-2008 01:23 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes people don't understand the important part of the family a good dog is. I have been trying to come to terms with the fact that my sweet boy is getting towards the end. It's hard to imagine life without him.
I'm sure that you will feel close to him whenever you go for a ride...and he will always be in your heart.
RIP Oscar!

fine69 08-05-2008 02:55 AM

Dude, that sucks. I miss my pup, had to put him to sleep a few months ago. Aweful.

They love you no matter what.

70LonghornCST 08-05-2008 03:36 AM

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, Steven. RIP Oscar.

entourageguy 08-05-2008 07:51 AM

Sorry for your loss.
They become so much a part of the family. Ours died in March and we thought we would be able to put off another dog for a while. It took about 3 weeks to realize that you miss the greeting at the door and no matter how sh*tty a day you had it did not matter when they saw you.
Our son found a dog on pet finders.com at the local pound and after 3 months with us fits right in. My wife swears that Holly our previous dog has sent Guy to live with us and had told him all her tricks around the house.

dave2953 08-05-2008 06:45 PM

Sorry you lost your buddy. As others have said, you did the right thing. Although it's difficult, try to think how much happier your life has been as a result of Oscar's being a part of it, and how much better his life was with you as his owner. RIP Oscar

rambler 08-05-2008 07:29 PM

sorry for your loss, I lost my best friend about a year ago.. still look for him when I get home sometimes...

special-K 08-05-2008 10:01 PM

I lost a good dog years ago.He was old and was suffering from Grandfather seizures.One night he died and I had to bury him on a cold rainy morning,sobbing all the while.I had to wait to get another.That time came and now Buddy is getting old with problems.I love him to death and will give him my all until his time to go.He`s my third dog as an adult.I love dogs so much and it`s as hard to lose one as any person.
Just looking at your pictures I see that Oscar had his place in the world and that`s the best a dog can ask for.