The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Crows ,,,,,,,,lots of them (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779207)

GOPAPA 01-09-2019 10:16 AM

Crows ,,,,,,,,lots of them

The Crows have been landing here for a few years now.. ,, in the Thousands and why I do not know ,,or where from ,I do not know , they land in the streets by the hundreds and seem to be eating small pieces of rock, grit and/or gravel, for their Gullet or Gizzard .. they get on our roofs and peck away at the sand in the roofing ,they poop all over while flying and it gets on the side of our houses..

One more thing that is puzzling is that they used to come to a town close by us and just in the last few years they skip that town and visit ours ,,whats with that ?

anyone else have this problem?

mongocanfly 01-09-2019 11:28 AM

Re: Crows ,,,,,,,,lots of them

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe you need a sign...

slomotion 01-09-2019 01:31 PM

Cool signs Mongo!

Gopapa, crows are pretty intelligent. If one "walks in the way of a pellet or flying piece of lead" his demise, (if he's displayed on a stick or something in the yard) may discourage the flock from visiting your neighborhood.
On the other hand, they may congregate en-mass and you may be the new version of Hitchcock's "The Birds"

kwmech 01-09-2019 02:04 PM

BB gun?

slomotion 01-09-2019 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwmech (Post 8439931)
BB gun?

They're pretty tough. Better to dispatch one completely than to just make him qualify for workman's comp or cripple him. If he knows who launched the lead he may tell his friends and the situation could deteriorate pretty quickly. :)

GOPAPA 01-09-2019 02:33 PM

I cannot shoot them as I have houses across the street from me ,, and if you go out close to them, they fly up and back down and then after awhile they fly away,,

Acually ,,they only come in groups like this a couple times a season and then they find a place where ever they go and then come back around in 2's ... I cannot tell how much sand off the roof they take when ,,say 50 of then peck for 20 minutes and leave ,,and again that is when they first come..

I was just curious if any of you knew what these big black birds are thinking when picking our town over another town ,, I have heard they are pretty smart ..

If so,, maybe they can read and I will tell a neighbor some guy off the truck forum says put up a sign,, like above ^^^

mongocanfly 01-09-2019 02:59 PM

I know crows are smart....maybe not reading smart but smart none the less....
I have a pecan tree out by the road...the nuts on this tree have a very hard shell...every yr I watch crows take those nuts and drop them all over the rd and wait for cars to run over them to bustem open....

Stocker 01-09-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8439957)
I know crows are smart....maybe not reading smart but smart none the less....
I have a pecan tree out by the road...the nuts on this tree have a very hard shell...every yr I watch crows take those nuts and drop them all over the rd and wait for cars to run over them to bustem open....

Yup, we have the same thing with ravens (largest member of the crow family) dropping black walnuts on the streets. Black walnut shells are much thicker & tougher than english walnuts.
Have also seen ravens ganging up on & harassing redtail hawks many times, not sure what that's all about. Territory I suppose.

mongocanfly 01-09-2019 05:37 PM

I think the harassing may be be cause it's a bird of prey.....I see hawks harrassed all the time.....the other day I saw a bald eagle catch a full grown coon...all the same time there was about a dozen crows dive bombing him only to pull out at the last minute....he didnt pay em any mind..

GOPAPA 01-09-2019 06:17 PM

From all you have shared ,,then it must be what they like to eat and can find in our town than the one they left from a couple years and came here ,, and another thing that comes to mind after you all reminded me is that maybe all the new development that is going on here in Idaho with all the Californians moving here ,,,Is .this,,, a lot of farms are being sold to Developers for new homes and just maybe the town that the Crows are skipping over might of been pecans or somthing else the crows like that is not there anymore..

yuccales 01-09-2019 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Look out....

slomotion 01-09-2019 10:07 PM

You guy's know a group of crows is called a "murder" right?

pritch 01-10-2019 12:24 AM

They know how to get help, too:

https://youtu.be/hlwxLtFQcrY

vetnat 01-10-2019 12:30 AM

Neat video.

A1971Blazer 01-10-2019 08:27 AM

you hardly ever see a crow run over on the road....this is because while the group is on feasting on roadkill....one sits in the tree and watches...it sees a car coming and starts yelling CA...CA...CA....!

68panelman 01-10-2019 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Sounds more like a flock of Grackles,
In the same family but smaller.
My old home on Long island NY we had them every fall and spring and if your grass had grubs, you'd be left with a torn up lawn. When they were in the yard, I would quietly open the door, then slam it shut, then whoosh, they were off to a neighbor's yard.

slomotion 01-10-2019 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 8440378)
Sounds more like a flock of Grackles,......... we had them every fall and spring and if your grass had grubs, you'd be left with a torn up lawn..............

That'd be a tough decision....I think I'd suffer a torn up yard to get rid of the grubs......

JON67 01-10-2019 09:48 AM

what do you call two crows on a branch?.........

....Attempted Murder.

68panelman 01-10-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slomotion (Post 8440397)
That'd be a tough decision....I think I'd suffer a torn up yard to get rid of the grubs......

Exactly, and it's partially rototilled!

GOPAPA 01-10-2019 10:03 AM

lots of fun information there fella's ,,thx,,didnt know all of it ,

Here is something I just found out on the Crow birds when looking up how to get rid of them..that made me think about the movie called "The Birds"

American crows: the ultimate angry birds?
Crows remember the faces of humans who have threatened or harmed them, and these memories last for the bird's lifetime (probably). Crows scold dangerous people and bring in family members and even strangers into the mob. Naïve crows exposed to mobs learn to identify the dangerous person, and they associate that individual's face with danger and react accordingly.

blazer2007 01-10-2019 10:11 AM

The crows will remember you if you harass them and they will harass you up to three years or so, they have good memory

In The Ten Ring 01-10-2019 01:44 PM

My dad adopted an orphaned crow and it lived on the farm with the chickens. It was a great pet according to my father.

When it came time to release the orphaned squirrels I had adopted and raised back in 2005-2006, a hawk landed in the neighbor's tree and worried me something awful! All of a sudden, as if in answer to my prayers, a crow buzzed the hawk and ran it off. Thus, I see crows as a sort of "neighborhood police."

My father (sometimes I do it) feed the neighborhood crows every morning.

Crows are among the smartest birds and can recognize human faces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOkj7lJpeoc

They also may "gift" people that feed them. Crows have an eye for shiny objects and they may bring trinkets and leave them for people that feed them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3ApNJct6Q

Pet crow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81y2SDoBZAc

rpmerf 01-10-2019 07:56 PM

Crow Wars. Kinda NSFW (language).

https://imgur.com/gallery/WBvyq

special-K 01-10-2019 09:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JON67 (Post 8440401)
what do you call two crows on a branch?......

Heckle & Jeckle

Attachment 1863491
http://youtu.be/zBUlwt_EIsI

Ok, magpies. But I thought they were crows when I was a kid

slomotion 01-10-2019 10:14 PM

Showing your age there Tim! :)