The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Am I the only one that loses things? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=733149)

davischevy 03-18-2017 10:24 PM

Am I the only one that loses things?

I decided to change the glass in my 55 Chevy so that's what the kids got me for Christmas. I ordered the incidental parts I would need back in January. One of the items ordered was the little L shaped corner moldings for the rear glass.

I received the package February 4, opened it and the parts apparently vaporized. I spent yesterday afternoon on and off and a good part of today looking for them, to no avail.

When I went back to my saved mail to reorder I realized it was devine intervention. I had ordered corners for a hardtop and my car is a sedan.

If I hadn't lost them, I would have probably messed something up trying to make them work.

Now, where's my coffee cup.

richard2717 03-18-2017 10:26 PM

Re: Am I the only one that loses things?

All the time here. I usually find it right after I have installed the one I bought to replace the one I couldn't find

DPowers 03-18-2017 10:39 PM

I put stuff in a place and say "I will remember that I put them here" but it never seems to work that way.

Boog 03-18-2017 10:41 PM

Oh Lord no. I have 3 sets of cab and rad support mount cushions and hardware for this one truck that I have bought at different times over the years and forgot I had them. The more things I pickup and move the more I find that I have not seen in years. Oh well, I've got spares. ;)

davischevy 03-18-2017 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7890333)
Oh Lord no. I have 3 sets of cab and rad support mount cushions and hardware for this one truck that I have bought at different times over the years and forgot I had them. The more things I pickup and move the more I find that I have not seen in years. Oh well, I've got spares. ;)

Maybe you should start another truck.

LockDoc 03-18-2017 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 7890338)
Maybe you should start another truck.

Good thinking! That's what I would do....:)

LockDoc

shp4man 03-18-2017 11:12 PM

Ya. Lost my cell phone today. :dohh:

davischevy 03-18-2017 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shp4man (Post 7890382)
Ya. Lost my cell phone today. :dohh:

Look in your hand. I have found mine there before. :lol::lol:

truckster 03-19-2017 12:12 AM

Especially when I put something in a "safe place". You know, where I know it will be when I need it. I finally got around to fixing my mountain bike yesterday and decided to mount the headlight and tail light I bought for it last year. You guessed it... I couldn't find it. The worst part is I've bought it twice, and I can't find either of them.

El Dorado Jim 03-19-2017 03:25 AM

I do all of the above all the time...scary....I ended up with two new front bumpers for my 72...didn't remember buying the first one....sold one awhile back....I am always looking for things I know I have and can't remember where I put them...atleast this thread makes me feel better!!!!

GR8-68 03-19-2017 07:31 AM

Yes, like others have mentioned, "Iput it here so I will know where it is when I am ready for it " I also forget that I bought things and realize when it comes and I put it in the oarts room and there is what I needed already :mm:

Palf70Step 03-19-2017 08:17 AM

All of the above :rolleyes:

100%Chevy 03-19-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 7890310)
I decided to change the glass in my 55 Chevy so that's what the kids got me for Christmas. I ordered the incidental parts I would need back in January. One of the items ordered was the little L shaped corner moldings for the rear glass.

I received the package February 4, opened it and the parts apparently vaporized. I spent yesterday afternoon on and off and a good part of today looking for them, to no avail.

When I went back to my saved mail to reorder I realized it was devine intervention. I had ordered corners for a hardtop and my car is a sedan.

If I hadn't lost them, I would have probably messed something up trying to make them work.

Now, where's my coffee cup.

I've been going thru my parts for my 57 hardtop and making a list.Those corner pieces are at the top!Front ones too.
I lose tools!That's why I have multiples of wrenches,sockets and screwdrivers!I have so many that I wouldn't know if I lost one now unless I run out!
Mike.:chevy:

flashed 03-19-2017 11:05 AM

All of the above ,all the time .

Ol Blue K20 03-19-2017 11:56 AM

If I haven't lost it, I didn't buy it......probably?.....lol

special-K 03-19-2017 03:24 PM

All the time. I buy things so I have it when time comes to use it and when time comes can't find it and buy another. I haven't been able to find a set of N.O.S. K/20 hubs I know I have. I have never completely cleared out the areas I have parts stored, but looked really hard. It's been years. I have never had anything stolen from here, no one would know they were there, and why just take those? It's actually been since before prices went nuts, too. I'm telling that one because it has got to be the worst...both long time no see as well as datz alotta moola. They'll turn up one day.

You know, the best part about losing nice stuff is finding it later when you're not thinking about it.

Indian113 03-19-2017 04:17 PM

I just did it Today! I was putting New Seat Belts in my S10 and I went into shop and got a 13 mm hand wrench out of my tool box. I was looking for a 12 mm tap and had my hand full of wrench's asI walked back to the truck. I laid the tools on floorboard and looked for the 13 mm. NOT THERE! Back to the Tool Box- Not There Looked on the floor same thing. Then it dawned on me "check your front pocket DUMMY" Yes it was There

davischevy 03-19-2017 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100%Chevy (Post 7890665)
I've been going thru my parts for my 57 hardtop and making a list.Those corner pieces are at the top!Front ones too.
I lose tools!That's why I have multiples of wrenches,sockets and screwdrivers!I have so many that I wouldn't know if I lost one now unless I run out!
Mike.:chevy:

Don't buy those corner pieces yet. I have an extra pair somewhere.

davischevy 03-19-2017 04:25 PM

I found a lot of cool stuff when I was looking, but I had one disappointment.

I thought I still had a pair of NOS sport mirrors, but only have a right side. Now I can't figure out where I used one mirror.

I did find two separate stashes of NOS big block spark plug shields. Now I can't figure out what my infatuation was with those. 4 sets?

davischevy 03-19-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 7890916)
I just did it Today! I was putting New Seat Belts in my S10 and I went into shop and got a 13 mm hand wrench out of my tool box. I was looking for a 12 mm tap and had my hand full of wrench's asI walked back to the truck. I laid the tools on floorboard and looked for the 13 mm. NOT THERE! Back to the Tool Box- Not There Looked on the floor same thing. Then it dawned on me "check your front pocket DUMMY" Yes it was There

I have stopped putting tools in my back pocket. That's an accident waiting to happen. I still wear company uniforms because the company pays for them. I wear Carhartt painters pants because they have the pockets on the side.

I'm anal about tool arrangement in my box because that way I can see how many I need to search for.

SatinSeventy2 03-19-2017 04:40 PM

Yes, yes and yes! What I find very disturbing, I typically end up standing in front of the refrigerator with the door open...really??? As if that's not bad enough, my wife says "watcha lookin for"? At this point I can't even remember.

davischevy 03-19-2017 04:45 PM

I actually looked in the refrigerator for those corner pieces.

SatinSeventy2 03-19-2017 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 7890935)
I actually looked in the refrigerator for those corner pieces.

Lol, kinda sad...huh?

flashed 03-19-2017 05:17 PM

A while back I lost my new pistol ,fully loaded .I searched everywhere ,tore the house apart .Finally gave up and decided to go to bed .I keep the alarm clock on the other side of my bed ,out of reach from my side so I have to get up to turn it off.When I went over to set the clock I saw my pistol under the spare pillow . It stays in a certain spot now when its not on my side.

special-K 03-19-2017 08:19 PM

not finding the hubs is one thing. Also, n a more positive note, I have a stash of N.O.S. K/20 front end service parts and when opening a box I thought all along was a wheel bearing turned out to be the chrome hub ring and I had two. The next boxes I looked for bearings in had the chrome ring w/knob assemblies. I don't remember buying either. It was from back when I was frequenting the parts dept seeing what was available and ordering if it was. I probably wouldn't have bought the complete assemblies, years later off this site, if I knew I had the fresh cosmetic pieces.

But losing things I just had in my hand? Nah, doesn't happen to me very often. I never counted but it couldn't be more than 6-8 times a day, with some days better than others