The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Turning radius question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489621)

Gene 10-18-2011 04:02 PM

Turning radius question

What am I overlooking here? The truck will make a tighter turn to the left than it will to the right? Im running 91 differentials and power steering.
Posted via Mobile Device

72longbed 10-18-2011 07:58 PM

Re: Turning radius question

Gene,
how much did you lift your truck? Usually that limited turning radius has to do with the drag link / steering arm / pitman arm combo. I have had similar problems afer lifting a 72 4 inches. Did you install a 'lifted' steering arm?

Don't worry ... it can be centered and corrected.

Great, Great truck BTW!!

72longbed

Gene 10-18-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72longbed (Post 4960645)
Gene,
how much did you lift your truck? Usually that limited turning radius has to do with the drag link / steering arm / pitman arm combo. I have had similar problems afer lifting a 72 4 inches. Did you install a 'lifted' steering arm?

Don't worry ... it can be centered and corrected.

Great, Great truck BTW!!

72longbed

Thanks! Yep I installed a raised steering arm when I lifted the truck. So I need to recenter the drag link?
Posted via Mobile Device

72longbed 10-18-2011 08:37 PM

Is your steering wheel centered as you drive down the road? Did you install the steering column and the power steering box?

I'll wait for your answers before I go further.

Thanks.

snj8198 10-18-2011 08:39 PM

Hi Gene

Ya, sounds like you need to loosen the coupler and recenter you drag link assembly. It's easier with the tires off the ground. How's your steering wheel location?

-steve

Gene 10-19-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72longbed (Post 4960702)
Is your steering wheel centered as you drive down the road? Did you install the steering column and the power steering box?

I'll wait for your answers before I go further.

Thanks.

Used the power steering gearbox from the 91 suburban 4 wheel drive, I have the tilt steering column from I 71 that's what I'm using, truck drive down the road great steering wheel stays straight, truck does not try to pull to the side the only problem is the truck will not turn very sharp to the right but it'll turn pretty sharp left.
Posted via Mobile Device

snj8198 10-19-2011 01:10 PM

That still sounds like a steering geometry issue. It's been so long since I monkeyed with lifts. Is your drag link level?

Mr. 250r 10-20-2011 04:15 PM

That has happened on every square body mud truck I've seen the one I just sold, my brothers and my friends but my suburban somehow didn't have it and turned 38s like my 03 turns 35s up until I swapped in the d60 now it has the radius of a semi both ways, I'd go with what snj said and assuming it fixes it the left won't turn as sharp as it did keyword I think.... lol
Posted via Mobile Device

BLAZERMAN 10-20-2011 05:18 PM

Disconnect your draglink at the pitman arm....then turn your steering wheel all the way to to the left till it stops...take a peice of tape and put in on your steering wheel at the 12 oclock position...now turn your wheel all the way to the right and count the number of revoloutions your steering wheel makes...devide that number in half and turn your wheel back to the left that amount. Now loosen the collar on your draglink and either lenghten or shorten it till it reaches your pitman arm again....reconnect it. That will center your steering back up but your more than likely going to have to recenter your steering wheel now.

72longbed 10-20-2011 06:00 PM

What Blazerman said .... that's the way.

Don't be surprised if you find that you have to shorten your draglink. I mean actually cut some material from both sides and then screw it back together to center your steering wheel after you follow the procedure that Blazerman outlined.

mud slut 350 10-21-2011 04:05 AM

Get a crossover steering setup you will be able to turn sharper both ways and get rid of that factory gm steering crap. with the crossover you wont have as much bumpsteer and when you flex you can STILL turn the wheel. With my stock steering i forgot what front tire was flexed up but the wheel went all the way one way and would not move now witht the crossover it dont matter.

Gene 10-22-2011 05:05 PM

Thanks blazerman, ill give that a try.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gene 10-22-2011 05:48 PM

Thanks blazerman, equal turns now. And maybe its all in my head but the steering feels better now?
Posted via Mobile Device

snj8198 10-22-2011 08:48 PM

Glad you got it Gene.