The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Hood damage help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=742785)

msg 07-19-2017 10:44 PM

Hood damage help

4 Attachment(s)
The hood I had sent off to be sandblasted was damaged in handling, Im guessing a forklift was used to transport and it got messed up.I have been trying to hammer dolly, even blow torch heat and cooling to shrink the bump that wont go away. If I hammer dolly it usually ends up oil canning afterwards. Ive got the oil canning to stop but there is still a bump. What can I do?

Here are some pics.
One of the initial damage,and the others are where I am now. I placed a yardstick on the good side to show the dips there, and then on the humped up side.

MP&C 07-20-2017 07:57 AM

Re: Hood damage help

In the bottom two pictures you show a low at about the 8" area on the rule. Sometimes when a "glancing blow" creates what I refer to as a "long" dent, in creating that high spot it pulled shape out of the surrounding panel. You need some off dolly, some upward pressure at those lows while tapping down on the high spots. The wider face of a slapper may be more effective over the smaller size of the hammer face.

I know you have the rule set up for the photo, but I typically lean the ruler over at about a 45* angle where it better conforms to the hood crown. Then it will be easier to visualize what areas are what..

msg 07-20-2017 09:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Robert! With a helping hand I think this gets what you were talking about at a 45 degree. I also placed some slapper tools in the pics but I think the one you mean in the smaller one?

MARTINSR 07-20-2017 10:32 AM

I am way more concerned with the damage the sandblaster could have done than that little dent. How does the rest of it look? Is it "tight" without oil canning?

Brian

msg 07-20-2017 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Brian, when I handed over the hood to be sandblasted I had removed the braces. They did blast the underside but did not blast the top center.It came back to me like this and I had to scrape and strip the rest. Thats when I discovered the dent,weeks after. The oil canning became more pronounced on the passenger side when I tried flattening it out. I had started repairs hammer/dolly/heatshrinking without the braces back on. I have put the braces back on and it is pretty sturdy if I push down it gives a little but doesnt pop like the oil can effect. Just flexes.

MARTINSR 07-20-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msg (Post 7995582)
Hey Brian, when I handed over the hood to be sandblasted I had removed the braces. They did blast the underside but did not blast the top center.It came back to me like this and I had to scrape and strip the rest. Thats when I discovered the dent,weeks after. The oil canning became more pronounced on the passenger side when I tried flattening it out. I had started repairs hammer/dolly/heatshrinking without the braces back on. I have put the braces back on and it is pretty sturdy if I push down it gives a little but doesnt pop like the oil can effect. Just flexes.

Good to hear it, looks like you did everything right.

Brian:metal:

msg 07-21-2017 12:42 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I wrestled with reducing the hump for too long, finally got it as good as this amateur can. The low areas on both sides of the hood towards the back of the around 8-15 inch marks on the ruler I havent been successful in leveling out with the upward pressure off dolly attempts. As I try doing anything it makes things worse. One thing I had wondered is if I bent the brackets up a bit towards the back to get more constant pressure, if that might work. Might just leave well enough alone.

B. W. 07-21-2017 10:37 AM

It seems like I micro-analyze every millimeter when I'm on bare metal. We all want a flat & straight panel but if you took the ruler to some other bodies you'll find high/low spots that you never saw. I struggle with when to quit! Compare the last photo with the first, it looks good to me. (but I never claim to be a body man!)