The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Smoke and flames from under the dash! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=738136)

Zone47 05-17-2017 09:08 PM

Smoke and flames from under the dash!

:ack:

Ok, at least smoke..... the flames weren't too far behind. Holy crap I was freaking out.

Luckily I was able to rip the hot lead off the battery before the flames set in but somehow the key switch decided it was time to short out. You'd think a fuse would blow somewhere.

I pulled the switch out and the connector apart and the purple solenoid wire got melty. I'm not sure how to get the switch further apart but am afraid it is one of those things that will come flying apart and I'll never get it back together.

Can you buy replacement switches (in dash for a 67 or 68)?

http://i.imgur.com/XSXVCkv.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/a9iZSzy.jpg?1

Soo... ACC is on top, Solenoid is underneath it, Batt on the right, ground 1 and 2 on the bottom.... and IGN on the left.

terry b 05-17-2017 09:13 PM

Re: Smoke and flames from under the dash!

Man that is some Scarry stuff. Could have happened anytime. Thank God you were there to take charge.

HO455 05-17-2017 09:14 PM

Wow!
Were you starting the truck when this occurred?

Zone47 05-17-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7945442)
Wow!
Were you starting the truck when this occurred?

Yeah, I started it to back it out of the garage.

The first clue was that the starter wouldn't release even after the engine fired up. I turned it off and tried again, it did the same thing. I tried one more time and then turned the key off and back on real quick which disengaged the starter but let the engine keep running. Then I backed it out and saw all this smoke happening.

So either way I had problems but usually a fire burning the truck up is a bigger problem.

HO455 05-17-2017 09:32 PM

I would check the switch with a ohm meter and if the start contact is fused I would replace the switch. I have been down the tear it apart and fix it road. It can be done. It is a pain. Parts will want to fly away. And in the end the contacts are damaged and once cleaned up with a file they may not make good contact with each other then you have the opposite problem. I would also check the neutral safety switch, the firewall connectors, and the connection at the solenoid for damage too. If the switch checks out with the meter then you may have a starter issue.

Yes! Burning wires under the dash are a big issue. At least you weren't crossing the traps at 105+ in the dark with no lights except the red glow shining through the smoke from under the dash.

Zone47 05-17-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HO455 (Post 7945467)
I would check the switch with a ohm meter and if the start contact is fused I would replace the switch. I have been down the tear it apart and fix it road. It can be done. It is a pain. Parts will want to fly away. And in the end the contacts are damaged and once cleaned up with a file they may not make good contact with each other then you have the opposite problem. I would also check the neutral safety switch, the firewall connectors, and the connection at the solenoid for damage too. If the switch checks out with the meter then you may have a starter issue.

Yes! Burning wires under the dash are a big issue. At least you weren't crossing the traps at 105+ in the dark with no lights except the red glow shining through the smoke from under the dash.

Thanks, I'll have to dig into it more tomorrow .... I imagine there new switches available, I'm just not sure if they will connect up properly. I might as well dig into the old one first and see what went wrong.

I'd like to find a schematic of the wiring on this truck to see what is supposed to be fused. Things tend to sometimes change over 50 years.

Yeah, it could have been a bad scene.... I mean anywhere down the road it could have happened and I don't normally carry any pressurized fire retardant with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 7945478)
when you do get it fixed you can add a fusable link so that doesn't hopefully happen again . the purple wire is 12 gauge so use a 6 inch piece of 16 gauge wire at the starter solenoid to the purple wire .

Thank you, good idea!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-17-2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 7945478)
when you do get it fixed you can add a fusable link so that doesn't hopefully happen again . the purple wire is 12 gauge so use a 6 inch piece of 16 gauge wire at the starter solenoid to the purple wire .

Great idea if you ask me. Congratulations OP, you saved your truck's life.

franken 05-17-2017 11:11 PM

Yup.
Fusible link from the battery to the low current side. Been there, fried that...

midniteblues 05-18-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7945533)
Great idea if you ask me. Congratulations OP, you saved your truck's life.

And quite possibly the garage too.

Fusible links are a good idea.

I bet your thinking you need a fire extinguisher now...do it cheap insurance.

67 chevelle 05-18-2017 09:33 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Sta...pYo1X1&vxp=mtr

pretty cheap to get a new one , for a 72

weq92f 05-18-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midniteblues (Post 7945740)
...I bet your thinking you need a fire extinguisher now ...

Very good idea! One I'm doing today after a bit of a fire scare myself yesterday ( left a grease towel under the hood making contact with the header ).

I'm going to eventually have 3: garage, truck and kitchen.

-klb

Tx Firefighter 05-18-2017 10:11 AM

Rockauto shows six different brands of a 68 model c10 switch in stock from cheapies all the way up to Ac Delco and Goodmark.

If you like Ac Delco, they have ACDELCO D1406A in stock for 20 dollars.

Zone47 05-18-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 chevelle (Post 7945754)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Sta...pYo1X1&vxp=mtr

pretty cheap to get a new one , for a 72

Wow! Thanks, that's exactly what I have!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter (Post 7945771)
Rockauto shows six different brands of a 68 model c10 switch in stock from cheapies all the way up to Ac Delco and Goodmark.

If you like Ac Delco, they have ACDELCO D1406A in stock for 20 dollars.

I'll check those too, thanks!

Steeveedee 05-18-2017 10:15 PM

Lucky for quick action and disconnecting the battery! I'd personally go for an inline fuse, since it is less of a pain to replace if this ever happens again.

Looks like you should change your handle here to FIREBALL. :D