The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Installing door weather strip on '51 Chevrolet (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=804153)

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:40 PM

Installing door weather strip on '51 Chevrolet

1 Attachment(s)
I installed the weather strip on my truck today. I will show you what I did in case anybody else wants to do it the way I did. I am posting this on a separate thread instead of on my build so it will be easier to find. I am not too good with computers so I hope I can do this in a way that makes it easy to understand. I can also only post one pic per post, I'm sure that's my fault, so there will be several posts! First pic is of the weatherstrip I used. I have done this on several trucks with excellent results. I stick the larger weatherstrip on the door and the smaller size on the cab. Because the strips are hollow, they compress to about 1/8 inch together

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:45 PM

Re: Installing door weather strip on '51 Chevrolet

1 Attachment(s)
I tried to install the weatherstrip with the doors on the truck but gave up and took the doors off. This made the job much easier. This is a pic of the larger strip installed on the door. The weatherstrip is self adhesive so it is easy to apply.

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another pic of the weatherstrip on the door, I cut it at a 45 degree angle and butted it together on the bottom corner

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This shows the smaller strip attached to the cab. With the two strips together they can close a large gap but still compress to 1/8 inch. I find by using the two strips I can eliminate most wind noise and leaks and the door still closes nicely

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another shot of the cab side

LOW A D 04-10-2020 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another of the cab at the bottom of the door

LOW A D 04-10-2020 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This method of installing weatherstrip has worked well for me on several different old vehicles. I have found that using the reproduction weatherstrip for most vehicles is way too thick and doesn't compress enough to allow the doors to close properly. With the weather strip I used, the door closes very nicely without having to slam the door. To check if the weatherstrip is making contact all around the door I use a strip of paper, or in this case a piece of doubled over masking tape, and close the door on it. Then I slowly pull the tape out and if there is resistance that means the weatherstrip is making a seal. If you do this in several spots around the door you can find the loose or tight spots easily. Hope this makes sense and can help someone.

LOW A D 04-10-2020 11:09 PM

I bought this weatherstrip on amazon but it is available from several auto parts stores as well. Search for "D" shaped self adhesive weatherstrip. It is available in several sizes. On my truck I used the 12 by 14mm size on the door and 8 by 10 mm on the cab. I payed just over $20 per roll and one roll did both doors

LOW A D 04-11-2020 12:39 AM

I just realized I posted this in the wrong area! I meant to post in the 47 to 59 pickup section. Can anybody move this for me?

Palf70Step 04-11-2020 07:39 AM

I moved it for you. Very interesting method. Thank you for all the info.

Zippi 04-11-2020 08:25 AM

LOW A D,

I tried the SoftSeal door seals Last week on my 49 and it was way to thick for my doors. I checked the gaps in my doors with clay and some area's were as tight as .135". Looks like what you have done may work for me. I did a search on Amazon for the sizes you mentioned but one roll is only 26 feet which I'm not sure will be enough. If I recall SoftSeal sent two strips which measure 15' 7" each and I use 13' 4 1/2" on each door. I found this one but not sure the 160" will be enough. Do you have a link to what you bought? Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/EtoparsTM-Wea...6-f96e7b0f409c

LOW A D 04-11-2020 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8713995)
I moved it for you. Very interesting method. Thank you for all the info.

Thank you for moving this to the right section!

LOW A D 04-11-2020 10:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Zippi- This is the larger weatherstrip I bought, The smaller size came from the same place. I bought it from Amazon.ca which is the canadian site but it I assume it is available in the USA as well. There were many options as to the length of rolls. I bought an eight meter roll of each size which did two doors. I think you will like how this stuff works, Hope this helps

Zippi 04-11-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 8714073)
Zippi- This is the larger weatherstrip I bought, The smaller size came from the same place. I bought it from Amazon.ca which is the canadian site but it I assume it is available in the USA as well. There were many options as to the length of rolls. I bought an eight meter roll of each size which did two doors. I think you will like how this stuff works, Hope this helps

LOW A D,

Thanks for the info man. Looks like I found what you used. Can't wait to try this as the wife complains every time we go for a ride about the wind noise. Just placed my order. By the way....nice work on your truck dude.

LOW A D 04-11-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippi (Post 8714080)
LOW A D,

Thanks for the info man. Looks like I found what you used. Can't wait to try this as the wife complains every time we go for a ride about the wind noise. Just placed my order. By the way....nice work on your truck dude.

Glad you found it. Did you find the smaller stuff too? I think the trick is using both weatherstrips together. Can you take your doors off to install the weatherstrip? It makes this job much easier!! I didnt want to take mine off because they were lined up perfectly but I ended up taking them off anyway. It wasnt hard to re align them after. Before removing the doors, I drill a 1/4 inch hole through the door and hinge. Then when reinstalling the door, line up the 1/4 inch hole, slide a bolt in and then tighten your door bolts. This will get your door very close to where it was. You may still need to fine tune it a bit but should be close to where it was

LOW A D 04-11-2020 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I drill the 1/4 inch hole

Zippi 04-11-2020 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 8714086)
Glad you found it. Did you find the smaller stuff too? I think the trick is using both weatherstrips together. Can you take your doors off to install the weatherstrip? It makes this job much easier!! I didnt want to take mine off because they were lined up perfectly but I ended up taking them off anyway. It wasnt hard to re align them after. Before removing the doors, I drill a 1/4 inch hole through the door and hinge. Then when reinstalling the door, line up the 1/4 inch hole, slide a bolt in and then tighten your door bolts. This will get your door very close to where it was. You may still need to fine tune it a bit but should be close to where it was

Yup. Ordered both. I was able to get he SoftSeal around the hing area without a problem so I'll just leave the doors on. My truck is finished so don't want to take a chance on damaging something or scratching the paint. Thanks man. Quickest I can have them delivered through Amazon is May 7. What a bumper.

LOW A D 04-11-2020 11:16 AM

Nice truck!!! I love red, My last 2 trucks were red. When i ordered my weatherstrip they said about 3 week delivery but i got mine in 4 days. Maybe yours will be the same. I find from Amazon you usually get stuff much quicker than they say it will arrive. Please let me know how this works out for you

Zippi 04-11-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOW A D (Post 8714104)
Nice truck!!! I love red, My last 2 trucks were red. When i ordered my weatherstrip they said about 3 week delivery but i got mine in 4 days. Maybe yours will be the same. I find from Amazon you usually get stuff much quicker than they say it will arrive. Please let me know how this works out for you

I sure will. Thanks for the comment on my 49. I just assumed with the Covid-19 Pandemic things at Amazon may have slowed them down. Hope I do get them soon as I'm running out of things to do since the lock-down.

joedoh 04-11-2020 11:58 AM

this is a great tip!

Zippi 04-12-2020 04:06 PM

I just did a test as I wanted to see just how much air is coming in around the doors with just the cab seals and no door seals. I sat in the truck and had the wife use the shop vac and blow around the doors all the way around. To my surprise I did not feel any air coming in. I thought for sure I would feel some air coming in. I assume the shop vac just doesn't blow the air fast enough to simulate driving 50 mph. I opened the hood and had the wife blow at any wires going through the firewall. At the center of the firewall is the main line of wires coming out and I could feel some air coming in. Just thought I would feel more air coming in around the truck. Even tried blowing around both air vents. I got nothing. I know these old trucks are like a tin can and cutting down the noise was not in the picture back in the day. I'm hoping the amount of wind noise coming in at 50+ mph is dampened just a little once the door seals are installed.

Tempest67 04-13-2020 02:08 PM

thanks for posting this, I think I will give it a try as well.

also, you are 1 of the many very talented Metal fabricators on this site, I am enjoying following your build....keep up the great work, and Thanks again

Zippi 04-13-2020 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempest67 (Post 8715767)
thanks for posting this, I think I will give it a try as well.

also, you are 1 of the many very talented Metal fabricators on this site, I am enjoying following your build....keep up the great work, and Thanks again

My order has not been shipped so hoping it comes soon. Even if just one fits the gap and the doors shut it's better than nothing.

Update 4/16/20. Just checked and my door seals have not been shipped yet from Amazon. The delivery date I was given was May 7th. Almost a month to deliver. That's crazy.

Update 4/17/20. Still have not shipped. I rechecked the items and they are in stock. Tried to contact them and got no response. Something is not right so I may cancel my order. Maybe I can reorder in a few months when the Covid-19 pandemic settles down.

LOW A D 04-19-2020 10:17 AM

Sorry to hear you are not getting your order. I got mine quickly, wonder what changed? There are other places that sell this same product. I have bought it before but I cant remember from where. I know some of the vendors at major car shows sell it,I hope you can find some

LOW A D 04-19-2020 10:27 AM

I just checked Ebay, lots of options there, Search D shaped weatherstrip