The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Highlander wheel covers on non-Highlander (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=847934)

JQ-72 10-09-2023 11:04 PM

Highlander wheel covers on non-Highlander

1 Attachment(s)
Just drug this 72 GMC in today. Looking at the SPID I noticed PA1 deluxe wheel covers. I knew these were part of the Highlander package for 1/2 tons but looks like it could have been a stand-alone option as well?

special-K 10-10-2023 06:32 AM

Re: Highlander wheel covers on non-Highlander

New one on me. That's quite a discovery. I have a set as an alternative for my 2wd GMC. I like them because they're about the only Chevy hubcaps that don't have a bowtie or say Chevrolet

JQ-72 10-10-2023 11:58 AM

New one on me too. I’ve seen some early Atlanta built trucks with plaid seats and no other Highlander options but never one with just the hubcaps. Just when you thought you knew it all….

Ol Blue K20 10-10-2023 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JQ-72 (Post 9249141)
New one on me too. I’ve seen some early Atlanta built trucks with plaid seats and no other Highlander options but never one with just the hubcaps. Just when you thought you knew it all….

Right?....:lol:

samkost 10-10-2023 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9249054)
New one on me. That's quite a discovery. I have a set as an alternative for my 2wd GMC. I like them because they're about the only Chevy hubcaps that don't have a bowtie or say Chevrolet

Just so I understand, what am I missing here?
PA1 deluxe wheel covers have no logo and are GMC specific?
They are different from PO1’s with a Chevy Bow Tie or GMC logo wheel cover?
Interesting indeed.;)

JQ-72 10-10-2023 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samkost (Post 9249212)
Just so I understand, what am I missing here?
PA1 deluxe wheel covers have no logo and are GMC specific?
They are different from PO1’s with a Chevy Bow Tie or GMC logo wheel cover?
Interesting indeed.;)

P01 is the full wheel (with fake lug nuts) Chevy and GMC used with their own center logo.
P03 is dog dish hubcap
PA1 is the wheel cover used on Highlander - same as 70-72 Monte Carlo.

Just odd to see the PA1 wheel cover on a non-Highlander truck.

samkost 10-10-2023 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It’s interesting to learn GM created these little idiosyncrasies of RPO accessories between passenger vehicles and trucks.
So the Monte Carlo and the truck may have shared this style of a no logo wheel cover.
Very cool, thanks for the explanation. :chevy:

jocko 10-10-2023 08:37 PM

Yes, in addition to its inclusion in the C10 version of the YG# promotional packages available on 72 Custom Deluxe trucks, PA1 was a stand-alone RPO (that was seldom chosen - but then again I don’t believe it was very advertised as an option either…) Here’s a very uncommon example posted by member j_cst_10 not too long ago of a Cheyenne Super with optional PA1s (and a swb Super at that… wow): https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...8&postcount=54

j_cst_10 10-11-2023 01:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the spid on my 72 Chevy Cheyenne Super. It also came factory with the PA1's.

What jocko said haha.

Casper42 01-14-2024 03:57 PM

PA1 was $41 option, but just $31 for Cheyenne Super. In comparison to P01 (what we commonly see) $26 and $15 respectfully. (February 1972 price book)

special-K 01-15-2024 08:32 AM

First thing I did when I bought my '72 short bed Highlander in '73 was pull those wheel covers off. I hated them. I traded them to the hubcap barn guy for a set of '55 chevy car hubcaps. My how things change as the years go by

1970cstblazer 01-15-2024 08:39 AM

My opinion is that they should have stayed only on the Monte.. They are gaudy and garish..

Rods 01-15-2024 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ive never seen them on a non highlander spid before.

Here’s mine and what they look like on our truck.

Sicklajoie 01-15-2024 12:05 PM

It should be illegal to run those covers on a pickup.

special-K 01-15-2024 06:34 PM

Really? What's with the negative comments on these wheel covers?

Hey Rods, your fellow board member Special-K says that's a fantastic looking top notch and uncommon original you have there.

72c20customcamper 01-15-2024 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9276890)
Really? What's with the negative comments on these wheel covers?

Hey Rods, your fellow board member Special-K says that's a fantastic looking top notch and uncommon original you have there.

I don’t understand it either if I don’t like something on a truck or car it’s not my place to be negative about it . I have one of these caps on my truck because I didn’t have 5 caps all the same it’s a Suburban cover I believe and it’s nos. It’s ugly but nobody has commented on it at any show I’ve been to

special-K 01-16-2024 08:38 AM

I always thought they were ugly on a Monte Carlo. Rallye wheels were available.

Using the same part on multiple vehicles is one reason I stuck with Chevys. It's not only small business but it helps the owners. I needed a glovebox button/latch for my '55 Chevy wagon. That's when I realized it was the exact same part as the 67-72 trucks. Why keep changing a part who's function hasn't changed. and I could go one with parts that swap between models. For that matter, a Monte Carlo is nothing but a Chevelle inside and under

dagnabbitt 01-16-2024 11:13 AM

Always learning things, the existence of the PA1 wheel cover has escaped me until now: I have never seen them before. Not a lot of Highlanders where I am, mind you.