The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Flip Kit Shock Options (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786640)

dagnabbitt 05-10-2019 12:37 PM

Flip Kit Shock Options

My parts hoarding and collecting has reached the point where I can finally make some big changes to my 81 swb stepside. I have ECE lowering spindles and coils for the front, and a Belltech flip kit for the back. I'm going for a 4/6 drop and I have never done anything like this before. Incidentally the ECE guys are phenomenal to deal with: I wish I had gone with them for the rear as well.

I have learned from the forum that when installing the flip kit I will need to either install shock relocators, or get a shorter shock.

Normally I would just get the shock relocators, but I think I need new shocks anyway: I am thinking of foregoing the relocators and buying shorter shocks.

Anyone gone this route instead? If I do this, what shock should I buy: I know nothing about buying shocks unless they are the stock ones that the parts guy hands out by request.

flnole78 05-10-2019 02:33 PM

Re: Flip Kit Shock Options

I bought the belltech BT2208HF for the rear of mine. I also have just the flip kit and bolt in c notch.

dagnabbitt 05-10-2019 04:02 PM

Did you relocate your shocks, or go with a shorter replacement?

Tom 05-10-2019 06:37 PM

You don't relocate anything you merely bolt on extenders to the factory shock bracket so the shock mounts lower and has the same overall travel as before.

dagnabbitt 05-10-2019 06:39 PM

Extenders! Yes, that is what I meant. I understand that they are not particularly expensive, I will look into those. Was wondering though if I need shocks anyway, do I just buy shorter shocks, instead of new shocks and new extenders. Thanks for your input.

BIGglaSS 05-10-2019 11:24 PM

I'm not convinced that companies make "lowered shocks". They simply use another application and charge you more. After a little research, I discovered KYB 344055 for Toyotas and Nissans will work for the rear with a flip. The only catch is that the lower bushing for those shocks use a 12mm bolt, and our squarebodies use a 7/16" bolt. So, you will have to drill out the mounts to 12mm OR be able to re-use the old bushing.

Tom 05-11-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGglaSS (Post 8523507)
I'm not convinced that companies make "lowered shocks".

They are basically just shorter with more damping. Having used several sets of shocks on the front of my lowered trucks, I can say for sure there is a difference.

OP- Look at doestch tech. They have been the best for me overall. I haven't used them in the rear as I always get extenders but up front they out perform everything else.

GMC Guy 05-11-2019 03:04 PM

longer shocks with extenders made a noticeable improvement to my ride quality

dagnabbitt 05-11-2019 09:00 PM

Having looked into it I am seeing a lot of stuff about how Belltech designs the kit so it won't accept extenders, they want you to buy their shocks. Since I need some anyway I picked them up, they are for a 4-6 inch drop. I didn't think I would be so easily manipulated by a corporation, but apparently I am.

I'm discovering how fun it is right now to try to remove 40 year old shackle bolts. Of course the one by the gas tank won't budge and I'm too cautious to get out a torch or grinder because of where it is.

layinrocker65 05-11-2019 09:42 PM

Go with the extenders. You can use your old shocks if they are in good shape, it keeps a better shock angle and you won’t limit the travel of the rear(compression and droop) with shorter shocks.

Ziegelsteinfaust 05-12-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layinrocker65 (Post 8523994)
Go with the extenders. You can use your old shocks if they are in good shape, it keeps a better shock angle and you won’t limit the travel of the rear(compression and droop) with shorter shocks.

This.

Plus the shock angles are better which helps with dampening through the magic of math, and angular stuff. I don't really understand

bluex 05-12-2019 10:49 AM

Extenders an stock replacement shocks are the way to go. I prefer KYB as to me they seem to give the best ride.

Rich84 05-13-2019 10:04 AM

I put the Nitro drop shocks with a flip kit on my stepside. I will be changing over to extenders and the KYB's. When you see the angle of the drop shocks it just doesn't look right. I am also experiencing a bit of wheel hop. Not sure if they have anything at all to do with that though.