The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Windshield gasket (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=398670)

burntove 04-21-2010 04:54 PM

Windshield gasket

3 Attachment(s)
I just got done installing a windshield in my '59 cab and I ended up with a gap between the gasket and the bottom corners of the windshield opening.I've tried everything to get the glass to come down more but I can't get it.Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? Bad gasket maybe?

chev3600 04-21-2010 06:56 PM

Re: Windshield gasket

Is that a new windsheild? I would think that the glass would be cut much closer to the corner of the frame, pushing the seal toward the corner.

Panelman55 04-21-2010 07:17 PM

I want more info!!!! Before I do this to my 55 Panel. Where did you get the glass, and rubber? Is it LMC by chance? I hate it didn't work out, its a lot of labor for it not to fit any better than that.

burntove 04-21-2010 07:18 PM

Yep, I just bought it from a local supplier and installed it with the help of a buddy. We used the rope trick and lots of soapy water.

burntove 04-21-2010 07:21 PM

I got the Gasket from Classic trucks (used to be Chevy Duty), and bought the glass locally.

mbgmike 04-21-2010 07:27 PM

my first thought is bad gasket. However did this truck have any work done around the window frame before we start blaming the gasket and window?
We only use Precision brand gaskets for all windows except the one piece V windows as they do not make them. Precision gaskets will come in a green and clear bag or a box thats green or white. Not in everycase but usually. Sometimes clear bag and white boxes but should still say Precision

burntove 04-21-2010 07:35 PM

When I got the truck is was very clean,no rust (southwest NM) A few dings and a couple dents in the doors that was it. I didn't see and sign of damage repair, it's almost like it's not in all the way at the top,but I pushed and pounded and cussed and sweated and I still could not get it to work.
I wonder if I should just take it out and try again.

OrrieG 04-21-2010 08:14 PM

It looks like the glass and gasket need to move back, more on the passenger side. Maybe the bottom of the gasket is rolled slightly? I had my window replaced in 1977 and the guy that did it had to work in pretty hard to get it to seat right. I thought for sure I was going to need a new window. I have heard that some of the new glass is thinner than stock and does not fit right.

Panelman55 04-21-2010 10:01 PM

I've always heard good things about Classic, and I get their parts catalogs often. I would think the rubber is good and the problem is in the glass. Most of the glass in my panel truck will need to be repaced so I will keep up with your progress and hope it works out for you.

burntove 04-22-2010 10:34 AM

I think your right, I'm going to call the shop I bought the glass from and have them look at it and see what they think.

Knothead 04-22-2010 02:39 PM

Orrie G is right ,I had the same problem but after working with it several times it fit like it was suppose to. Be sure glass is centered . I bought a couple suction cups so I could pull the glass into the "hole"