The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can't bleed the front drums! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=767065)

Mykids69 07-08-2018 12:26 AM

Can't bleed the front drums!

I did a complete 4 wheel drum rebuild. New master. New wheel cylinders all the way around. New shoes, hardware and drums too! This was going great until I get to the front passenger side drum to bleed it. The bleeder is so close to the spindle that I can't find a way to loosen the bleeder!

Please help with suggestions! :banghead:

Thank you!

Mykids69 07-08-2018 12:32 AM

Re: Can't bleed the front drums!

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple views of what I am seeing.......

NC_John 07-08-2018 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mykids69 (Post 8296414)
I did a complete 4 wheel drum rebuild. New master. New wheel cylinders all the way around. New shoes, hardware and drums too! This was going great until I get to the front passenger side drum to bleed it. The bleeder is so close to the spindle that I can't find a way to loosen the bleeder!

Please help with suggestions! :banghead:

Thank you!

If I remember correctly, i had to put speedbleeders on mine to get them bled. Just got them from the local napa.

Domingo 07-08-2018 09:12 AM

I just did mine. I used a 12 point offset wrench.

Ol Blue K20 07-08-2018 12:07 PM

They make bleeder wrenches that may help.

Jason Banks 07-08-2018 12:20 PM

I went and got longer bleeder screws. I'll see if I can come up with a part number. Basically the same 3/8-24 thread but the hex part where you put your wrench is about 3/4 inch long.

Edit: I can't come up with the part number. Might have been Dorman 13901 but they don't look like I describe in the pictures I see online. I seem to remember having that being the case when I got them at O'reilly's.
I had a new wheel cylinder that came with the same short screw. You would think it would be obvious to whoever is rebuilding them, the short bleeder won't work.

toolboxchev 07-08-2018 12:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is what I use, works like a charm. Did my brake system over 12 years ago still going strong, except for the crappy chinese drums that have to be turned and trued from the factory.

Mykids69 07-08-2018 04:55 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Steeveedee 07-08-2018 11:23 PM

One more- You can go at it with a 1/4" drive socket on a wobble extension. Not the universal joint one, the one with the tapers cut in it. Those things saved me a ton of time, back in the day. Like this-

https://www.amazon.com/Wobble-Socket...chet+extension

You may also need a proper socket. Craftsman sockets seem to be on the thick side, just like their wrenches. Snap-On has thinner walled sockets that wouldn't force you to buy new bleeder screws, but cost a lot more than bleeder screws. They only save you money when you are dealing with that stuff on a regular basis.

Mykids69 07-09-2018 11:21 PM

Good news is that one of the old cylinders had an extended bleeder. Seem to work for what I needed. Only problem is that it only gets so tight. I think it will be okay for now. I will be doing disc fronts down the road. The boy is off to the Airforce mid August, so it will be parked and Dad gets to really tear into it then! He has offered to send me $500 a month to buy parts and work on it while he is gone......... I can't wait! Not the part about him leaving, but the fact that it gets me out of the house!

Thank you all for the suggestions, this is the best board I have found!

Jason