The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=456163)

chad64chevy 03-29-2011 09:42 PM

my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70

5 Attachment(s)
hello everyone, i'm new to this all but have looked at a lot of people project, builds and i too have a project going on! i've had the truck for a few years now getting parts here and there to even start a project! but got married and have two kids now! and now 4 years later i want to build my truck!!

chad64chevy 03-29-2011 09:53 PM

Re: my '64 c-10 swb project with steel floor from a '70

i have more things done to the truck! just haven't posted them like the gas neck filled, bed seams welded! but have a lot of parts that haven't been put on yet! pretty much a full summers worth! i planning on doing the suspension first front and back then start on the cab then back to the bodywork and the a new wiring harness, interior, front windshield, then put the motor in and start driving the wheels off it lol!!

Alan's Classic 03-29-2011 10:14 PM

Nice project you have there. I'll keep an eye on it's progress. Your in good hands here.

p.s. I'm trying to get the higher ups to move this thread to the right area. Don't worry we'll get it moved to the 60-66 projects and builds. Everything will stay the same just moved. ;)

chad64chevy 03-29-2011 10:18 PM

ok, cool thanks a lot

chad64chevy 03-29-2011 10:25 PM

it's sitting on a '70 frame as well! had to take my rear cab mounts off the '64 frame and move the rad. support mounts up! i also cut the front of the frame where the bumper bolts up and switched them out! will have pictures of it this weekend! truck is sitting at my g-mas house cause i live n town and would make the neighbors mad she lives in the country! but you got to do what you got to do!!

protrash64 03-30-2011 09:56 PM

:welcome2:Nice work so far and you'll get there if you keep at it.:metal:

66Z71 03-31-2011 12:10 AM

Nice work on the bed. Any more pics of it? Or words of advice? I saved the metal bed floor from my '78 donor truck, planning on doing the same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Captainfab 03-31-2011 01:19 AM

Welcome to the forum :D

Nice work so far......was the '70 frame and running gear already rebuilt?

coulter 03-31-2011 01:22 AM

looking good so far!!! btw is that a seatbelt tailgate latch? thats badass!!!!!

chad64chevy 03-31-2011 02:00 AM

thank you everyone! this my first time doing anything like this at all! i've got family members that built hotrods and truck! I learned to weld a lil on a guys farm/ranch that i work for! i don't know how i would go about craftin the '78 in! the '70 i just oblonged the 4 holes in the rear cross sill! that took alot of time checking the fitment! yes, those are seatbelt latches and they work great have to push the driver side in first then the passenger side! u can pull the truck back and forth and won't open but, it works! seeing that i'm new to this i need to figure out on postin new pics. this past weekend the bed came off and i started cleaning and paint the frame and i got all new parts to do the front and rear suspension! i got to rebiuld the rearend, its got the 3.07 gears and i have a '65 parts truck that have 3.73 gear i'm gonna put in! as of the engine and tranny i have a 305 and 700r4 thats rebuilt thats going in for now! later i'll change the motor out but still keep the 700r4!! THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!! and this site is awesome!!

chad64chevy 03-31-2011 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
i wanted to add a few more pictures of what i have done already to my truck but no real updates til this weekend when i go work on it!! one day i'll have it running, and least thats what i keep telling myself right!! stay tune!!

chad64chevy 04-04-2011 06:09 AM

5 Attachment(s)
ok everyone sorry no pictures of the after the install got late early! frames dirty from the wind blowing really hard all day, but here is a list of things that did get done: cpp c-notch kit, new poly trailing arm bushings, new retainer cups, new 3" drop springs, 2" lowering blocks, cpp new panhard bar the one that goes from the frame to the u-bolt on the other side, and the rearend and everything else cleaned and painted! my dad did help after getting him lined out!! we're both learning from these and spending time together! my kids try to help but they are to lil my girl is 2 1/2 and my boys 1!! they get out there and try anyways! handing me tools i dont need my girl crawls under my truck with and say whats that!! good times good times!! will get the pictures of it all install when i can!! i know i know without pictures its like it didn't happened, but i know i'm not sore for nothing!! and a side note i'm doing this all without air tools or a lift, everything is beening done with hand tools, power tools, and a floor jack!

chad64chevy 04-08-2011 08:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok, for anyone checkin my progress, i got a few pictures! i cleaned the bottom of the bed and cut a section out for the gas tank to clear and painted it using rustol. black hammered i think it looks gray but nice! i brushed it on!! i'll get a few better pics tomorrow when i go put the bed back on! cant really see a differents n the pictures but theres a 5 in. drop!! u can c the cpp trac bar! let me know what u think and any input is welcome!!

Alan's Classic 04-08-2011 10:48 PM

I reread your build and didn't see which fuel tank you will be using. Maybe I over looked it. Nice progress so far.

19654x4guy 04-09-2011 01:28 PM

Did the steel bed floor bolt right in?

chad64chevy 04-09-2011 03:33 PM

a lil mod. to the rear cross sill ends! so they fit in the pillars and oblonging the four bolt holes! theres a gap at the front bed panel 3/4" but i dont mind you can't see it unless ur under the truck to look for it!

chad64chevy 04-09-2011 03:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i got some more pictures today of my progress and put the bed back on! the wheels i got on the back are '07 stockers i need a backspacer at less 1/2in.-3/4in each side they want to rub the inside of the wheelwells now but i got room to move them out! i will be starting the front rebuild n a few weeks have to clean and paint new parts an then take everything off and clean and paint the front part of the frame then put it all back on with the new stuff! i took a picture of my gauge cluster i paint it makes the gauge face brighter! trucks a lil dirty inside it has a lot of my parts in the cab on the floor and on the seat!!

chad64chevy 04-09-2011 04:00 PM

i got a gauge cluster for a 60-63 that has holes for aftermarket gauges that a buddy gave me from his project before i realized its not the same for the 64-66 its on the dash in the right corner of the last picture

LostMy65 04-09-2011 09:33 PM

Welcome to the forums.

You're doing nice work on that steel bed.

chad64chevy 04-13-2011 12:05 AM

thanks for all the comments!!! i have gave myself a deadline of 1 1/2 - 2 yrs, i think thats a good bet!! the only thing i'll have to spend money on now is for a wiring harness, windshield, interior odd and ends, radiator, driveshaft shorten or not and freshen up the motor and trans that i have but thats about it!! this is gonna be a dd for sure but a nice dd!! i really want to get it on the road and enjoying it more, i enjoy working on it but would love to be driving it!! i will be starting to paint the new parts tomorrow that way they are dry by this weekend! i think its gonna take a good part of a weekend to strip the frontend off clean and paint the frame then put all the new stuff on!! i will try and take picture of the progress tomorrow and again this weekend of the frontend before and after!! stay tuned!! lol!! any comments or input are welcome and does anybody know where i could get this parts that i need?? thanks for looking and any replies!!

chad64chevy 04-27-2011 01:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok i know it's been a lil while since i posted anything in here but i do have a few pictures of things i've done! i haven't done a lot cause i only get to work on my truck on weekends and lately we have had tornado warnings, tornado watch, lots of rain and had a few trees fall down! on to the pictures!! 6lug rotors and 2.5" drop spindles, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm! A all new frontend will be going on

chad64chevy 04-27-2011 01:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
i also have been helping my buddy with his 69 gmc he got/stole for 3 grand! the guy he got it from needed money pretty bad and ask my buddy to make an offer! its got a 350/350 4.10 or 4.11 posi rear, the hood hinges were broke, brakes were really really soft, needs a few odds and ends in the interior like the window felt, the high beams don't work, but all in all i think it was a steal, since i got that in parts for my truck and its not even running! i told him i had the hood hinges from my 70' parts truck and a 3.08 rear if he wants it and we worked on his truck! the good thing was now his looking for parts for me since i hooked him up, and i don't got to scrap all of the 70' cause he will be getting other odds and ends off it!!

chad64chevy 04-30-2011 08:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok i got the frontend suspension some what together had to stop to go to a b-day party! the only things left to put on the frame is the gearbox, front shock relocators that mount on top of the frame, front shocks, sway bar, and take the 70's rad. support x-member out and put my 64' rad. support x-member in. then the frame is done besides the brake lines! so on to the pictures!!!

chad64chevy 04-30-2011 09:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more pictures!! before and after!! 3rd. picture is before i touched the frame, 1st. and 2nd. is after the 5in drop out back, look and the toolbox and you can see the drop and the last picture is after the 4.5in. drop up front and 5in. drop out back! the rims are all 17's the chrome ones are 12in wide. 3??/60/17, and the 07' stock rims have 235-70-17! height wise the stock tires are 1.5in taller then the chrome ones! i only have 3 of the chrome rims, so i'm going put the 07' stock rims on all 4 corners, put the 235-70-17 on back and i have 235-60-17 that will go up front, and that should give me a lil rack to it! besides putting the engine, trans, fenders, hood and stuff back on will longer the front too. the bedside is only 12in. front the bottom side to the ground! i'm 6'2" and can see over the cab easy about nose high i would say!! so what do you guys think??? ANY comments?? thanks for looking!!

jonzcustomshop 05-02-2011 05:21 PM

looking good!