The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   1970 C10 suspension help (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=744333)

Chuck U 08-10-2017 09:01 PM

1970 C10 suspension help

1 Attachment(s)
Traded a corvette C4 for a C10 a few months back and I'm trying to fix a lowering job that went too far. Right now the front rides on the bump stops and the sway bar has been removed. Compressed the the front springs are about 8", the rear is about 2" off the the bump stops. It has 18' wheels and 255/60R tires. I'm looking for good handling and maybe 1"front 3" rear. CPP sells handling kits with springs sway bars shocks and hardware for around 600. Is this my best option or would 2" front and 4" rear be a better fit.

CheyenneSuper72 08-11-2017 12:43 AM

Re: 1970 C10 suspension help

Call the guys at Early Classic Enterprises....I have used the springs they sell for years with zero issues. 2" front and 4" rear will give you a good stance. If you have the sway bar brackets go to a salvage yard and get you a sway bar for $20-30. Pick up some new bushings and bolt it on.

1969 Project 08-11-2017 01:14 AM

X2 on the Early Classic drop kit

JohnJ@RideTech 08-11-2017 08:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My StreetGrip kit will take your truck down to about a 4-6 drop. The stance looks awesome and rides and handles great. If you are looking to go a little lower, check this out and let me know what you think.

Attachment 1680062

Attachment 1680063

68Stepbed 08-11-2017 08:53 AM

Can you do us a favor and take pictures of the springs? It's possible that the original springs were cut or heated. This is never good. Also take the wheel off and take a few shots of the spindle so we can determine if it has drop spindles or not. From the photo you posted, it looks to have have a good stance, but if done wrong, it won't ride or handle well. I had a 4.5/6.75 drop on my truck for several years and it was still useable and rode and handled great.

I'll also give a nod for ECE products for basic lowering needs. The RideTech Street Grip system is a great system as well. It's just a matter of what your budget allows.

Lastly, has the sway bar been unhooked, or just not there? Just a simple addition of a sway bar make a very dramatic improvement on these trucks.

Don't be afraid to ask any questions. We're more than willing to help and get you straightened out and get that truck fun to drive!!

Chuck U 08-11-2017 12:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Does not have drop spindles. all the hardware form the sway bar is gone. The angle of the shocks is way off and the ride is bad. Don't want to go to low but the larger wheels and tires are bringing up around 4" over stock. attached are some more pics. the stance now looks great but handling is really bad stiff with a lot of body roll.

lolife99 08-11-2017 12:49 PM

Your rear shock angle is terrible.
They are not working at all at that angle.
They are just pivoting on the shock bolts.

Before you go changing EVERYTHING,... I would add a stock front sway bar with good poly bushings.
Then remove the front bump stops and brackets.
Add a set of rear shock relocators with a good set of quality drop shocks.
(Look at Ridetechs shocks)
Re-center the rearend with an adjustable track bar.
I bet you will be surprised at the ride quality.

Your springs look fine.
No need to change them.

demian5 08-11-2017 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8014339)
Then remove the front bump stops and brackets.

I agree with everything said, however, i would cut the bump stops in half before removing them. Same with the rears.

truck may have never come with a swaybar...

67 chevelle 08-11-2017 02:41 PM

x3 on early classics , my cpp front shocks leaked oil bad within 2 weeks of install , rest of the kit was marginal , had to put a 1 inch block on the drivers side to make it level side to side in the back

68Stepbed 08-11-2017 02:45 PM

OK, not sure what rear drop springs those are, but yes, the rear shock angle is terrible(actually non-existent). I would almost bet you still have the stock panhard bar, and it's also at a terrible angle.

Those front springs are way too short. They're probably either cut springs or some of those older lowering springs that nobody makes anymore. I would imagine they flop around every time you hit a pothole.

Either way, what you have isn't safe!!

I know it sounds like I'm trying to spend your money, but I suggest either an ECE drop kit, or the RideTech kit. Don't be thinking that the bad ride is because it's so low. It's because the components used are wrong and nothing is working together. The ECE 4/6 kit will put you about the same height, but will have a better shock angle, correct rate springs, a corrected panhard bar(aka Super Track Bar) for the rear. The front will include 2.5" drop spindles, and 1.5" drop springs.

Very few of these trucks actually had sway bars from the factory, so it may not have been removed, as much as never had one. ECE sells a stock style sway bar with all the brackets and bushings, or you could pick up a used sway bar and get some bushings and brackets.

Ruscal 08-11-2017 04:40 PM

I would look at 2" drop spindles, then get springs that provide adequate travel and the stance you are looking for. Same for rear, start with the springs, to get the stance right. Then get the shock mounts located to provide the best angle (most upright), then approach the Panhard bar relocate to get the longest bar that will fit, and get it level as possible. The sway bars next, and you will be golden. If you approach this backwards it will bite you.
Russ
PS. Shocks are available in many lengths, so you can work out the required travel and mounting position to provide a workable and effective setup. If you don't have fab skills to do your own mounts several manufacturers have kits available, and may be able to give you advice on shock length to fit your ride height.

HO455 08-11-2017 11:49 PM

And depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go there is this thread. Which can be detrimental to your pocket book. And you may lose the next 30 hours of your life. :lol:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=419251

Chuck U 08-12-2017 09:04 AM

Decide to go with a suspension kit Early truck. I'm not concerned with stance so much as handling. So went with 2/4 kit . Can add drop spindles later if I need more drop. The guys at Early were great and shipped out Immediately, no 2to 3 week wait like CPP. Thanks for all your help. Any truck owners in the St Pete area?

slowcpe 08-12-2017 09:22 AM

I came real close to going with the ECE kit on my old truck. Talked to those guys a few times and great to deal with. Plus I've read nothing but rave reviews from people that run their kit. Don't think you went wrong with that choice.

The new Ridetech StreetGrip kit looks very nice as well.