The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Driverless cars win again. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=763758)

In The Ten Ring 05-14-2018 01:00 AM

Driverless cars win again.

Looks like this autopilot thing is on a roll.....

Actually it looks like mass and step bumpers work better.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/05/...tah-wreck.html

special-K 05-14-2018 06:09 AM

Re: Driverless cars win again.

No biggie. Probably just a bad sensor.

Coley 05-14-2018 11:21 AM

28 year old female at the wheel......t...e....x....t....i....n....g
(in all likelihood)

mongocanfly 05-14-2018 12:03 PM

I can't believe these things are even allowed on the road....we've got enough (driverless) cars on the road now...

fatbass 05-15-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coley (Post 8260877)
28 year old female at the wheel......t...e....x....t....i....n....g
(in all likelihood)

Distracted by her phone for sure.

Local news is reporting that she said she turned on the autopilot (at 60 mph) then was looking down at the navigation system comparing the route taken with the route her phone was suggesting. She looked up just before impact.

Coley 05-15-2018 11:08 AM

The irony in that incorrect and habitual overuse of the phone is that most of that habit starts years before with the parents getting their kids (daughters and sons) phones at increasingly younger ages.
All with the marketed feel good comment and justification that 'it is for safety purposes mostly'.
.....Apparently not.

Coley:chevy:

Andy4639 05-15-2018 11:27 AM

Did you read the comments on this! Whoa there are some good ones.
You can't fix stupid...well you can but you will go to prison for it!
:chevy:

Hack_Attack 05-15-2018 01:21 PM

Don't know how many of you ride motorcycles......but its kind of scary throwing a leg over a bike now a days. I don't ride as much as I used to.

Steeveedee 05-15-2018 05:51 PM

I sold my Harley in '72. I didn't like riding on the California freeways with the level of paranoia necessary to keep from getting killed or worse- like quadriplegia. I don't even ride my bicycle on the public streets anymore, after I got a hit and run on me. Fortunately it was only the handlebar, about a 1/2 inch from my hand. I'm sure the dork driving was texting and didn't even notice.

old Rusty C10 05-15-2018 08:09 PM

im told auto pilot doesn't see some of the trucks with stainless steel doors for whatever reason....

special-K 05-15-2018 09:13 PM

One way you can fix stupid is don't make self-driving cars. The answer to all the stupidity we see out there is not coming up with ways for people to avoid needing skills. That is what is making them stupid. Too many warning signs & symbols, guard rails, and safety nets. Let them learn by their mistakes. How the heck do you think people who have it ever got common sense? Common sense is the same thing as self teaching. Get it now? Yeah, and we learn real well from others dying from their lack of it. Sounds hard, but too many people in the world anyway. Let the fools who don't take a look at themselves and repeat the same mistakes pass on so that others might learn and survive.

OBS454 05-15-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hack_Attack (Post 8261653)
Don't know how many of you ride motorcycles......but its kind of scary throwing a leg over a bike now a days. I don't ride as much as I used to.

Yep... almost taken out 10 days ago on the town square by SUV driver moving in to my lane.

68bowtie 05-15-2018 11:43 PM

I hear reports on the news that we are like 5 years into a 20 year transition to artificial intelligence being a reality. Then I try and speak text into my *phone and it gets every other word wrong. Don’t think so!!

Coley 05-16-2018 10:43 AM

I would say that artificial intelligence has already arrived and seems to be out in full force.
(for everyone but us of course, lol)

Coley

mongocanfly 05-16-2018 07:51 PM

I think its a intelligence deficiency problem know Coley......

special-K 05-16-2018 09:11 PM

These inventor engineer idiots need to give it a rest and let the world get back to smart people and dumb machines. It's "Research" AND "Development". Not Research THEN Development. Go ahead and research your butts off, but check with the rest of us on development. Who gave them the keys to the city to be the ones who decide how we live anyway? It's all about creating new ways to make money with new consumer junk. I'm not buying it and never will. I have no problem driving w/o running into things...even others who are effing up. I can operate a vehicle beyond my programmed parameters as needed and all I have to do is pay attention. People are getting really bad at paying attention. Ever notice? Not only driving...everywhere. Let them design and engineer something to fix that!

abig84 05-16-2018 10:40 PM

In sure everyone who crashes these cars is going to blame it on the car saying it was on auto pilot. I'm sure they have black boxes in them to see if they really were or not

pritch 05-16-2018 11:32 PM

Gotta hand to Elan, though. His comment was "60 MPH into the back of a truck and all she got was a broken ankle":lol::lol::lol:

AI? Didn't any of these clowns watch Terminator?

Killer Bee 05-17-2018 12:01 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.bus...-worth-2017-10

Quote:

The 46-year-old CEO of Tesla and SpaceX and cofounder of OpenAI has said he won't be happy until we've escaped Earth and colonized Mars.
I'll pack their bags! :smoke:

special-K 05-17-2018 06:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am 100% born & raised Earthling. I feel a strong connection to Mother Earth...unlike these technocrats. Let them do all their R & D in a space station and outlaw it here. After all, there is nothing natural or Earth-like about what they are doing. Time to colonize, folks, because we don't want your crap on our planet. Lawmakers are asleep at the wheel on this crap. Private enterprise should not have such power of influence over society...especially when it means broken ankles!! :rolleyes: Sounds like words of a short sighted idiot more than the amazing mind this guy is supposed to have. To this mind it states he had no good intelligent comment to made in a seriously obvious failure on his behalf. These 100% move forward types need to gain hindsight to have any reasonable level of intelligence. In my mind they are seriously unqualified to hold the power they do. People need to close their gaping dropped jaw mouths at these modern marvels and get back to what it real... and that ain't man made!

EDIT: Ok, I realize I can get real heavy on things with my expressing my strong feelings. So to lighten up a bit (while adding to my point of looking back) I'll add this picture of a driverless car that has been around for years that will never rear end a truck at 60 mph. And it's got more sense than those who think driverless cars are more than a rich boy's pipe dream. Old technology rules! :metal:

Coley 05-17-2018 10:45 AM

lol...Special K....I just can't go there, at least not completely but I do appreciate the 'missing link' to things that are more tangible than modern technology.

We all use is it...and need it to some degree. The difficulty comes in the balance or tipping point of where it is useful vs. where it is nothing more than habitual or a weird indulgence.
I try to keep all needed tech use practical only....I have to with the field I work in (Mech/Engineering and equipment design)...which is often tech driven on the electrical/controls end of things...and I love the high end controls angle within my design work.
However, when I get home....its all quadrajet philosophy for me, lol.

All good
Coley:chevy:

jeffahart 05-17-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8262580)

EDIT: I'll add this picture of a driverless car that has been around for years that will never rear end a truck at 60 mph. And it's got more sense than those who think driverless cars are more than a rich boy's pipe dream. Old technology rules! :metal:

Except for this: The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryU...risis-of-1894/

Anyhow, back to driverless cars and why the crash: I blame the bad gasoline... it's the root of all evil! Maybe he can drop the battery production for a bit and make us some good gas! :lol:

j

Coley 05-17-2018 01:28 PM

The great horse manure crisis?
....that sounded like our last federal election and apparently, its still a problem.

lol

Coley

special-K 05-17-2018 09:04 PM

No horse manure shortage these days. Even where there are no horses.

jeffahart 05-17-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8263130)
No horse manure shortage these days. Even where there are no horses.

Yes, lots of horses A$$es running around out there; and every time they speak... manure come out! :lol:

j