The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   Ol Blue (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=530626)

zellway 06-23-2012 02:41 AM

Ol Blue

4 Attachment(s)
Well for starters this is going to be hard for me as I have never had this clean of a start. I want to take this back to more of a stock look. Might drop it a bit more and put the stock wheels and caps back on it. I will be getting new tail lights as the PO felt the need to black them out. It has a good working under dash a/c system but with the AZ heat that might not work out so well. I just want to driver this one. I just picked it up about 3 hours ago. Drove it from Tucson with no problems and only used 1/8" a tank (that is if the guage can be trusted) It need most of the rubber replaced. I found some small spots of rust in the normal spots. From what I can tell its stock paint. It drives like a new truck. The PO had a local shop install the drop coil's and a full front end kit so there is almost no play in this thing. I don't know if this will be much of a build as much as just a fresh up and drive. But I will do my best to post pic's of what I get done on it. When the sun is back out I will get some more pic's.

gcburdic 06-23-2012 07:57 AM

Re: Ol Blue

Cool burb zellway!!!...any SPID shots? how about interior?

zellway 06-23-2012 09:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 5449984)
Cool burb zellway!!!...any SPID shots? how about interior?

Its funny that you ask. I looked all over this thing when I got it and never once opend the glove box. Check out what I found.

zellway 06-23-2012 09:51 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pic's

zellway 06-23-2012 09:56 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I will try and get a good set of pic's on this one. I could kick my self for all the stuff I have not taken pic's of.

zellway 06-23-2012 09:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The outside has some old faded blue paint over the stock teal. Should be fine for what I want. It's a good looking ride IMO.

gcburdic 06-24-2012 03:32 PM

Sweet!!...Thanks for the pics!!!:metal:

zellway 06-26-2012 08:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Monday I got to spend a part of my day at the DMV to get my new plates for Ol Blue.:waah: The nice thing is the tags are good till 2016! So I walk out all happy and ready to put my plate on and found out the hack job of a trailer hitch blocks the bottom of the plate. So I had to decide to cut 1 1/2" off the bottom of my plate or remove the hitch. Well not much thinking and I got back to the shop and took the plasma cutter for a test drive. Fixed my plate light and called it a day. This weekend I will clean up where I cut and paint the end of the frame. There is a little more play then I would like in the carrier bearing so I will be pulling the drive line this weekend. I'm going to do my best not to down Ol Blue like I have will all my other trucks I want to keep driving.

Green 1959 06-27-2012 02:02 PM

That looks like a really nice shop you are cutting the hitch off at!

zellway 06-27-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green 1959 (Post 5457406)
That looks like a really nice shop you are cutting the hitch off at!

Yep! You would know!:lol:

zellway 07-02-2012 07:34 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well not much has been done this past week. I put about 200 miles on it in the AZ heat with no problems. A/C works great for the people in the front seat but something will need to be done if I want people to ride in back. I have been feeling a little shake at 65mph to 75mph and found the center bearing rubber was gone. I replaced it and check out the under side a bit more. Not much is going to be needed.

zellway 07-05-2012 08:42 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I had all kinds of things I wanted to get done yesterday. Not much did. I helped my friend install the hood on his 58. Got a bit done on my short bed and installed chrome headlight bezels on Ol blue. With the rain putting a end to much of what I wanted to do I helped my girlfriend with her marketing event at the Casa Grande fire work show. I got to use the sub and got some compliments on how clean it is. Had one guy give me a hard time about how dim the tail lights are but that is on my list of things to do. :waah:

Green 1959 07-05-2012 09:47 AM

It looks a lot better

zellway 07-09-2012 08:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Worked on cleaning it up this weekend. I also changed the oil. Took it on a trip to Tucson. 172 miles round trip in the heat with no problems. Vent window seals are high on my list of things to do! Got a chance to work on my other toys this weekend.

zellway 07-13-2012 06:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got a little done but work takes up most my time any more. I will have some big stuff going on in the next few weeks. I have a bunch of the small parts on there way. I removed the black paint from the hood bow tie and repainted the center blue. I looking into some the tires for the stock wheels and I have a set of hubcaps I will clean up and get on.

zellway 07-18-2012 11:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
With work as crazy as it has been I don't get much time to work on my stuff. I popped the bowtie back on the hood and I removed the grill and started to get the paint off it. I will work out the few little dents and get this back on. Should look about how I want it to. I'm also looking into cleaning up the stock wheels and get some tires for them.

superduty_59 07-24-2012 12:07 PM

Nice work, I'm not a fan of black everything out either.

zellway 07-24-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by superduty_59 (Post 5502802)
Nice work, I'm not a fan of black everything out either.

I hope to get the grill all done this weekend and I will get some updated shots of it. I was thinking the grill was shot and that is why the PO blacked it all out but its all in good shape. I will be getting all the lights replaced also.

zellway 07-25-2012 10:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a little done on the grill. This has been more work then I was thinking. I will work some of the dents out but it is a driver. There are a ton of small dents but that no big deal to me. This will work for the look I want. I hope to have this all done this weekend. I have also been doing a little house cleaning under the hood so I will get some pic's of that up today also.

Green 1959 07-25-2012 10:46 PM

Looking better. Should be nice when it gets together!

zellway 08-01-2012 09:38 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have new found appreciation for people that paint all the detail around there grills! I have spent more time then I had planed on. I was going to sand down and do the full show type polish but for a driver I think this grill is fine. I worked a little bit out of the dent around the E but for fear of messing it up I called it good. I will get it painted after work then to cote it in UV clear to save the look of it. Should have it all back this weekend so I can take Ol blue out for a drive.

zellway 08-01-2012 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well its much better looking then when I started so I'm happy. I will get this back on this weekend. It's a good 10 foot job but will look at home on it. Now on to cleaning up the engine bay.

zellway 08-06-2012 08:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I like this look much better. Soon as I have the brackets done the bumper will go back on.

zellway 08-06-2012 08:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I knocked off a little of the dirt and more of the paint then I wanted. I also ditched the points.

BB72CHEVKT 08-06-2012 05:30 PM

The grill made a huge difference. Nice work!