The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 07+ Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   2017 Crewcab Shortbed aftermarket upgrades (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756703)

Hart_Rod 02-09-2018 01:11 PM

2017 Crewcab Shortbed aftermarket upgrades

3 Attachment(s)
LIST OF UPGRADES SO FAR:

Tinted front windows
WeatherTech front and rear mudflaps
Chrome stepboards
GMP Borla Touring stainless exhaust
Driver's side assist handle
Did a Hack on my wireless center console charger
Digital trailer brake controller
UnderCover bed cover

I've had my 2017 Silverado for about 4 months now and have been pretty happy with it so far. It's a 6.2 with the 8 speed auto and the fuel mileage has been pretty incredible (20-24 mpg).

The only thing that I really don't like is that it's way too quiet! :lol: I'm currently looking at the Borla catback setup, of which they offer 3 versions, Touring, Stype and Atak.

Video from Jegs: http://www.jegs.com/i/Borla/157/140570/10002/-1

Just checking to see if anyone has installed one these and what their opinion was on them.

Prong 02-09-2018 05:52 PM

Re: 2017 Crewcab Shortbed aftermarket upgrades

I went with the GM Borla on my 2015 with the 6.2. It retains the flapper valve to minimize the V4 chopper sound. You can hear it a bit in the cab, but it's not overwhelming. I bought mine from Cultrag Performance for about $1075 shipped (with the stainless tips), with a 10% off coupon.

Hart_Rod 02-09-2018 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prong (Post 8182455)
I went with the GM Borla on my 2015 with the 6.2. It retains the flapper valve to minimize the V4 chopper sound. You can hear it a bit in the cab, but it's not overwhelming. I bought mine from Cultrag Performance for about $1075 shipped (with the stainless tips), with a 10% off coupon.

How long did it take to install it? Any pictures? Is the sound in the cab not crazy loud? Do you have the part #s and another coupon? If so, I would be all over that deal!

Hart_Rod 02-10-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prong (Post 8182455)

Was going to purchase yesterday, but the 10% discount is no longer available...

Prong 02-10-2018 07:11 PM

Sorry I don't have any pics readily available. Install took about 1.5 hours, and most of that was removing the old exhaust in one piece. The in cab sound is pretty low key and I have no complaints. I would recommend using exhaust pliers (about $20) to get the pipes off the hangers. I didn't have any at the time and that added to the project's time.

Hart_Rod 02-14-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prong (Post 8184323)
Sorry I don't have any pics readily available. Install took about 1.5 hours, and most of that was removing the old exhaust in one piece. The in cab sound is pretty low key and I have no complaints. I would recommend using exhaust pliers (about $20) to get the pipes off the hangers. I didn't have any at the time and that added to the project's time.

I finally got the price I wanted and place my order last night. Unfortunately they are now backordered.......:(....

LEEVON 02-15-2018 05:36 PM

Looks great Rob, love that color.

Hart_Rod 02-28-2018 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 8188914)
Looks great Rob, love that color.

Thanks! I was a little nervous at first with the blue (Iusually go with silver) ut I really like the way it looks. I got the Borla exhaust installed over the weekend (GM Touring version) and love, love, love the way it sounds!!! Not to loud, but a nice little rumble during acceleration, no drone in V4 mode and you can hardly hear it at cruise speeds :metal: !

67ChevyRedneck 03-01-2018 03:51 PM

Rob, I was thinking about doing the same thing. Do you have PN for the "GM touring" version??

Is it the same as this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-Silve...RaUGdE&vxp=mtr

Hart_Rod 03-01-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8200732)
Rob, I was thinking about doing the same thing. Do you have PN for the "GM touring" version??

No, that's the one you can get directly from Borla and it's dealers. Borla makes a slightly different setup for GM. Here are the part numbers I used:

Exhaust: 19303341
Tips: 19303347

The GMPP exhaust contains a "flapper-valve" that is supposed to stop the drone created when the truck switches from V8 to V4 mode.

Cheapest place I found them:
https://www.shopchevyparts.com/silve...3113_3124.html

Good thread:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...xhaust-system/

Prong 03-02-2018 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8200732)

FYI,
The 5.3 and 6.2 engines uses different part numbers because of the exhaust pipe diameter.

67ChevyRedneck 03-02-2018 10:29 PM

Thanks guys!

I was actually looking at the S-Type for sound, I guess there isn't another muffler choice optional with this kit?

I watched a borla video on how they designed the system to not have a drone in V4 (I turn mine off 90% of the time anyway), do I REALLY need the valve??? Of course I can't find that video now...

It looks like it's another $120-140 for tips, what exit did you go with and tips? Any pics of how yours looks out the back?

Hart_Rod 03-03-2018 09:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prong (Post 8201719)
FYI,
The 5.3 and 6.2 engines uses different part numbers because of the exhaust pipe diameter.

Thanks, I was wondering what the difference was.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8201913)
Thanks guys!

I was actually looking at the S-Type for sound, I guess there isn't another muffler choice optional with this kit?

I watched a borla video on how they designed the system to not have a drone in V4 (I turn mine off 90% of the time anyway), do I REALLY need the valve??? Of course I can't find that video now...

It looks like it's another $120-140 for tips, what exit did you go with and tips? Any pics of how yours looks out the back?

The GMPP version only comes with the Touring muffler. I was worried about it not being loud enough with the 6.2, but it's perfect for me. I think that it would be a little quieter on the 5.3s. So depending on the noise level you might want, the S-type might work for you. Just keep in mind, they will probably get a little louder the longer they are on your truck.

I went with the GMPP setup because it was what the dealer would have put on and I don't want to worry about them giving me a hassle on my warranty. And even though the tips are extra, they give you some adjustabilty on the tip location, unlike the Borla setup in which the tips are welded on.

There are only 2 exit options that I have found, 2 out the back or 2 out the passenger side. I went with the 2 out of the back (pictures included). I think that there is enough pipe that I could probable get my muffler guy to bend them and do a 45 turn to come out of the rear corners but I haven't decided yet.

As far as the flapper valve, I'm not sure what difference it makes, but I read a lot of complaints about the drone for the systems that don't have it. If you turn the V4 mdoe off, it shouldn't really matter. OBTW, how do you turn off the V4 mode? I know you can put the transmission in M (manual) mode and drop it down to 5 (or 7th for the A8s) and that will keep it from switching. Have you found another way other than through the tune? Also, I would like to see the video of them designing the exhaust system if you find it.

PS I also picked up a driver's side assist handle that mounts on the A-pillar. It looks just like the one on the passenger side. Keeps you from having to use the steering wheel to get into the truck. It's a GM part number and is an option for the truck that the dealer wants to charge you $250 for. You can buy the part for $45-50 online.....

67ChevyRedneck 03-04-2018 12:01 AM

I added mine when I added the running boards. I use it a lot. I think I found it on ebay for like $50 like you did.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1454815491

That looks really good! I like the tips/location.

Yeah, I do the M5 shift. 5th is still 15% OD. My drive to work is 8 miles each way of 45 mph and redlights. I've gotten in the habit of putting it in M5 whenever I drive anywhere. When I do get out on the highway (rare) I do let the V4 mode do it's thing. I got 24 mpg on a +/-400 mile round trip to Tennesse and back, and about 22 mpg when I did a +/-1,200 mile round trip to PA and back (lots of hills). I don't hardly drive the truck friday-sunday, that's drive the toys days. I'll have had it 3 years in a few months and it only has +/-22K on it. While the highway mileage is awesome, my day to day average is about 15mpg. Still 2 better than my old Z71.

Hart_Rod 03-05-2018 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my driver's side assist handle installed this weekend, :metal:. I also picked up a used Undercover bed cover this weekend for $350. Just needed to get it painted to match the truck, :). Then my truck will be all "grampa'd" out, :lol:!!

mtden17 03-15-2018 01:38 AM

I'm currently looking for the same tonneau cover but with different color. That looks good though!

Hart_Rod 03-16-2018 08:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtden17 (Post 8212225)
I'm currently looking for the same tonneau cover but with different color. That looks good though!

It's blue!!

Hart_Rod 03-16-2018 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed! :metal:

Clyde65 03-16-2018 07:18 PM

Hey Rob, I got bit by the new truck bug just like you. Mine is a 17, crewcab ltplus....anyway, saw the upgrades you did and like them. I have the running boards on order as well as the DS pull handle( how do I get the existing cover off??) ....I’d like to get a bed cover, does it help any with fuel mileage? I know bed stuff security but...

Hart_Rod 03-17-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde65 (Post 8213497)
Hey Rob, I got bit by the new truck bug just like you. Mine is a 17, crewcab ltplus....anyway, saw the upgrades you did and like them. I have the running boards on order as well as the DS pull handle( how do I get the existing cover off??) ....I’d like to get a bed cover, does it help any with fuel mileage? I know bed stuff security but...

Clyde - you just pull of the pillar cover off (check youtube for videos). I haven't been on any long trips since I've installed it but a buddy of mine said his added a couple of mpg's after he installed his. My main reason for installing was security and to keep stuff dry.

LEEVON 06-01-2018 11:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rob you got me with that color...had a '17 Sierra regular cab in black, sold it and got this ocean blue beauty.

Hart_Rod 06-02-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 8273132)
Rob you got me with that color...had a '17 Sierra regular cab in black, sold it and got this ocean blue beauty.

Awesome, congrats on the new truck! It is a beautiful color, :metal:.

Advanced Design 06-07-2018 10:26 PM

Fine looking trucks guys!

LEEVON 06-10-2018 08:02 PM

Do you want the factory mud guards (all four)? I took them off already.

Hart_Rod 06-11-2018 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 8278835)
Do you want the factory mud guards (all four)? I took them off already.

How much are you asking for them?