The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   squishy brake pedal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746080)

studeclunker 09-05-2017 11:42 PM

squishy brake pedal

How does that song, Wolf Creek Pass, go? "Steppin' on the brakes was like steppin' on a plum!" Or something like that.

I started the truck today and the pedal went straight to the floor!:ack: They held and when I released the brake the truck rolled in reverse like it should. Afterwards the pedal was squishy, but not on the floor and still working. Any ideas???

'66 custom camper
350 engine
power drum brakes
Power assist steering
auto tranny.

mongocanfly 09-06-2017 01:06 AM

Re: squishy brake pedal

fluid level or bad master or wheel cylinder

68gmsee 09-06-2017 09:49 PM

^ As above...

If you don't see any fluid on the wheels or outside the master cylinder, suspect the internal piston seal of the master cylinder gone bad. The cup seal allows fluid past it and the brake feels mushy.

Don't take any chances of complete failure and replace it. They're not expensive and fairly easy to replace. Just remember to follow bleeding directions of the master cylinder carefully and also bleed the brakes.

mongocanfly 09-06-2017 11:13 PM

jinxed me...my master went out today in my 81..went to stop..pedal went to floor...check reservoir. .empty..got to looking and it was leaking out around the pushrod....now the suprise..I went to oreillys and a rebuilt master is only $19..and I get $10 back for the core...so the rebuilt master turned costing $9

mattfranklin 09-07-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8033733)
jinxed me...my master went out today in my 81..went to stop..pedal went to floor...check reservoir. .empty..got to looking and it was leaking out around the pushrod....now the suprise..I went to oreillys and a rebuilt master is only $19..and I get $10 back for the core...so the rebuilt master turned costing $9

That doesn't happen very often. Wow!

70K10Hunter 09-07-2017 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8033733)

crap go buy a spare.

mongocanfly 09-07-2017 09:33 PM

I should have added the reason for me stopping was "that old lady" that pulled out in front of me causing me to stand on the brakes hard ..that's what led to this...lucky for the wide slot in the road... that kept me from hitting her

studeclunker 09-12-2017 12:44 AM

Took me a while to get the lid off the MC. Yeah, no fluid. So I checked around all four wheels after filling it. Looks like the left rear might be weeping. She gave good pedal today and stopped on a dime with nine cents change! Will have to go around and work on all four cylinders. Might just replace all of them including the master, better safe than sorry. Thanks for the hints.