The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   deluxe weatherstrip - lock strip (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=825350)

69Tom 08-30-2021 02:48 PM

deluxe weatherstrip - lock strip

So, about 8 months ago, as I needed a new windshield, I purchased and installed a new deluxe Precision weatherstrip/windshield gasket with new chrome lock stripping.

Well, fast forward after those months in the AZ sun, and the lock strip, once chrome looking, has turned an odd brown/rust color. In fact, it looks like the lock stripping has done just that - rusted. Except we don't get all that much rain here, and I'm pretty sure it's some kind of compound plastic.

Anyone else have this issue? And if so, did you find some chrome lock strip that doesn't do this?

I could see it happening over time, but after 8 months is pretty ridiculous.

69Tom 09-01-2021 12:50 PM

Re: deluxe weatherstrip - lock strip

No one? I'm the only one with issues with this?

Zachary17 09-01-2021 01:29 PM

Had the same thing happen to my 82 after about a year
Posted via Mobile Device

69Tom 09-01-2021 02:07 PM

Thanks. I actually just gave my window guy a call and he said it happens to all aftermarket lock strip and recommended I use the black one (which I don't want to do). Anyone have any NOS chrome lock strip? haha.

Pontiac1976 09-01-2021 03:21 PM

I have some old GM that end up the same after sun and rain. I think the main thing is UV rays O2 in water get under the clear plastic. You can try to clear coat with UV clear 1or 2 thing coats on the strip after dry install.
or remove the plastic cover and clear it with UV clear 3 or 4 time let dry and install.
+ You may want to use a plastic flex agent in the clear.

Over the years had two GM deluxe weather strip-lock strips since my truck sit out side all year long in the sun/rain. They both turned. The less sun and rain they get the longer the last. But the rubber /plastic combo they used back then
is still what they use today.
Now Remember they want to sell them GM at the time, and the after market people.

DIY: most bang for the money longest lasting would be. The reg. black weather strip - lock strip could save you and you can paint the chrome or sliver strip then clear with UV clear

Wgesnerjr 09-02-2021 09:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I did the precision gaskets and chrome lock strip with a new windshield about 2 years ago. within 6 months the chrome strip started turning a light brown color that stood out like a sore thumb. Thought about looking for a better one but never got around to it.
Currently mine has turned almost a dark bronze color and is not standing out as much as before. At this point i am going to let it continue to change and see how bad it gets. If I find i don't like it, I will replace with a black one.
Ironically, the rear window chrome strip has not tuned at all. weird. Wish I could remember where I got that one.

TKCR 09-02-2021 01:17 PM

Someone had mentioned this before, when there was discussion on this topic. The lock strip has a clear plastic protection film, to help with scratches I assume. But that film needs pulled/peeled off after installation. I can remember doing that myself on mine. In fact, I can remember thinking that there wasn’t a film, because I couldn’t hardly find an area to get it started to peel off. I was about to give up because I was convinced it wasn’t on there. But my brother, who helped me, finally got it started. And then it all peeled off.
So this person was saying that is the reason why some of these lock strips look the way they do, because it’s that plastic film that has baked in the sun, because it wasn’t removed.

69Tom 09-02-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8965742)
Someone had mentioned this before, when there was discussion on this topic. The lock strip has a clear plastic protection film, to help with scratches I assume. But that film needs pulled/peeled off after installation. I can remember doing that myself on mine. In fact, I can remember thinking that there wasn’t a film, because I couldn’t hardly find an area to get it started to peel off. I was about to give up because I was convinced it wasn’t on there. But my brother, who helped me, finally got it started. And then it all peeled off.
So this person was saying that is the reason why some of these lock strips look the way they do, because it’s that plastic film that has baked in the sun, because it wasn’t removed.

Interesting. So the plastic film on them is causing the issue then. Well, I'm not sure what happens when you try to remove a baked one. I'm guessing it's near impossible, so I'll just have to buy a new strip.

69Tom 09-02-2021 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 8965681)
I did the precision gaskets and chrome lock strip with a new windshield about 2 years ago. within 6 months the chrome strip started turning a light brown color that stood out like a sore thumb. Thought about looking for a better one but never got around to it.
Currently mine has turned almost a dark bronze color and is not standing out as much as before. At this point i am going to let it continue to change and see how bad it gets. If I find i don't like it, I will replace with a black one.
Ironically, the rear window chrome strip has not tuned at all. weird. Wish I could remember where I got that one.

Yep! Exactly how mine looks. Guess we need to buy a new one and remove the plastic film.

TKCR 09-02-2021 03:09 PM

I would assume once they are baked on, there’s no removing now. I just texted my brother, to see if he remembered that, when we did my strip. And he does, he said he remembered pulling it off. Now mine still looks good, it’s been on there about 6-7 years now. Its not sitting out in the sun all the time, but it does see sun.

Pontiac1976 09-04-2021 12:57 PM

Quote:

Very Interesting info TKCR. I know I never took it off back then. But the one I think in storage I may take a try at that. the next time re place. Right now I'm just liking the blacked out look.