The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Color Wiring Diagram FINISHED (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=185856)

howell57 04-13-2019 02:55 PM

Re: I suck at reading wiring diagrams..

Just took a 350 out of my C10 for a new L83. Marrying the ignition to the computer is beyond my 72 year old brain. A lot of what you have written helps. Everything will be stand alone. Engine needs hot to starter and one wire to cpu. AC will be stand alone as will be lights.

Blackfyre77 07-21-2019 08:34 PM

Re: Color Wiring Diagram FINISHED

Which are 12v switched and 12v constant? Is "alternator" constant and "terminal by battery" switched?

dmjlambert 07-21-2019 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfyre77 (Post 8562635)
Which are 12v switched and 12v constant? Is "alternator" constant and "terminal by battery" switched?

Electricity from the alternator and the battery are connected together, and are not switched, they are always on.

There are some circuits that are always on, and some that are switched on with the key in the accessory or on positions, and some that are switched on only when the key is in the on position.

Have a look at the wiring diagram and the wire colors, especially the wires that come from the ignition switch and go to the fuse panel.

https://i.imgur.com/BKlAcq5.jpg

The fuse panel back is what you see on the wiring diagram, so it is a mirror image of the front of the panel. Here is a diagram of the front of the fuse panel and what is switched and what is not.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...98#post8004798

Xavier 05-24-2020 03:04 PM

Figured I'd share a complete version with some of the corrections people have been pointing out as well as some modifications of my own to make it not quite as long.

This is for an HEI and 10/12SI setup but I have the files to overlay points or CS130 as well if anyone would like them. I also have it in PDF format which has been easier to print for me.

https://imgur.com/a/Yfjpeqv

Xavier 05-24-2020 07:18 PM

This should work: PDF with different wiring possibilities.

dmjlambert 05-24-2020 07:40 PM

Wow that sure is nice!

jonmc56 05-24-2020 09:06 PM

Thanks for doing this. I'd like to have the CS130 with HEI if you are willing to do that one.

Thanks, Jon

Xavier 05-24-2020 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonmc56 (Post 8745622)
Thanks for doing this. I'd like to have the CS130 with HEI if you are willing to do that one.

Thanks, Jon

Updated the PDF with all possible permutations. ;)

gmc684x4 06-21-2020 01:09 AM

Thank you awesome job
saves looking for my old chilton manual out for a wire diagram

crakarjax 06-23-2020 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier (Post 8745659)
Updated the PDF with all possible permutations. ;)

Could you do one for an LS swap also? j/k j/k... but seriously that would be awesome :)

QQ though, why is there a dashed purple wire going from the ignition switch through the NSS to the starter solenoid, but then also a purple wire that seems to bypass the NSS?

truckster 07-09-2020 01:29 PM

I just downloaded and printed this. Amazing work!

Rookiebuilder 07-19-2020 05:04 PM

@dmjlambert I appreciate the advice on my post.... I deleted it here and changed the location per your recommendation. Thanks again!

Eric

Billy Blazer 07-01-2021 08:30 PM

Please send wiring diagram 1971 Chevy C10 saltybutteredpopcorn@gmail.com
Thank you

crakarjax 09-04-2021 01:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just noticed that the ammeter wiring is missing from the diagram on the in-cab connector side.

Also, there are two instrument cluster connectors shown in the diagram but the pins are different -- why is that?

dmjlambert 09-04-2021 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I guess you would call the wires missing from the firewall connector a minor defect. I doctored my copy of jimbosprint's diagram, here is an overlay.
Attachment 2127534
They made the wiring diagram for a truck with warning light instrument cluster, and are showing the additional connector with wire colors so you can imagine or deduce how the wiring is for a truck with a gauge instrument cluster (oil, temp, amp gauges instead of warning lights). There are also minor differences in the wiring under the dash for an instrument cluster with warning lights, I don't remember the fine details but it is related to the resistance wire and brown wire for the alternator (gen) warning light. And the instrument cluster with gauges does not have or need the wires that go to the ignition switch for temp light and oil light bulb test during start.

truckster 09-05-2021 09:27 PM

I used this diagram when rewiring my truck. I still have it taped to the wall of my garage. It's a great resource. Thank you so much!

markizme 09-27-2021 04:38 PM

Thank you for all of your hard work with these diagrams. They are the best! :metal:

crakarjax 10-01-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8966462)
I guess you would call the wires missing from the firewall connector a minor defect. I doctored my copy of jimbosprint's diagram, here is an overlay.
Attachment 2127534
They made the wiring diagram for a truck with warning light instrument cluster, and are showing the additional connector with wire colors so you can imagine or deduce how the wiring is for a truck with a gauge instrument cluster (oil, temp, amp gauges instead of warning lights). There are also minor differences in the wiring under the dash for an instrument cluster with warning lights, I don't remember the fine details but it is related to the resistance wire and brown wire for the alternator (gen) warning light. And the instrument cluster with gauges does not have or need the wires that go to the ignition switch for temp light and oil light bulb test during start.

Nice thanks for the context!

Peanut74 12-16-2021 10:07 PM

Thanks for posting this. Been looking for one to help make sure I don't burn my truck to the ground. I appreciate your effort as I know it was not a easy job to do.:5150:

dmjlambert 03-13-2023 11:57 PM

In post 302 of this thread jimbosprint posted a superior version of the color
wiring diagram. The certificate for the host website expired and the diagram
seems to have disappeared. Here it is again, I hope that is OK jimbosprint
and thanks for your work on this. I use it all the time. I have added a
correction for the wiper/washer circuit, which I know you fixed on your
version a while back, but I could not find a copy of yours with the correction,
so I did a little bit blurry correction. Also I added a small section showing the
ammeter wiring coming into the cab at the firewall connector.
https://i.imgur.com/StXzsf4.jpg