The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Shipping advice needed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765946)

wcstory 06-19-2018 10:24 PM

Shipping advice needed

I need to see about shipping a truck bed from Cleveland to Eastern Massachusetts.

One option is to drive out (12hrs) with my utility trailer and drive back, but that's a long (slow) ride.

Suggestions

Clyde65 06-20-2018 09:21 AM

Re: Shipping advice needed

Uship

jayoldschool 06-20-2018 05:51 PM

Take bed apart completely. Toss wood. Flat pack the sides/front panel/rear cross sill/tailgate/crossmembers/strips (but don't ship anything you don't need). Ship truck freight. Reassemble when you get it.

wcstory 06-20-2018 06:01 PM

I like the idea of breaking the bed down to the two bedside with fenders and steps, but not sure how well this will work out in a limited time frame. If you really need a bolt to come out easily it wont. I would be pulling this apart at the sellers location

jayoldschool 06-21-2018 11:40 PM

I disassembled my bed with a sawzall and grinder cutoff wheel. Time is money.

wcstory 06-22-2018 09:51 PM

Not getting any bites on my uShip ad. :waah: I got plenty of hits when I shipped a whole truck.

Looking like I'll be going for a long ride.

The best option I can see is to pull the fenders & steps off and put it in the back of my Silverado. The seller tells me that they were previously off for storage. I'll need to put a couple pallets under it to clear the fender humps in my bed.

Palf70Step 06-22-2018 10:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Best way I know to carry a whole truck bed. Some 1x2" in front stake pockets, few 1x4s or 2x4s to lay across the bed. Lots of tie straps or ropes. I travel 8 hrs 0n Interstate 10 this way. Way easier than a trailor in my opinion, and seems to be safer for the bed also.

Grumpy old man 06-22-2018 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've hauled a bunch of beds there's no reason to take it apart , you just build a 2x6 frame over your transport truck bed and load the bed your picking up , UPSIDE DOWN strap it down and your on your way . I picked this one up in Eastern NC and I was delivering it to another member in Nashville coming west back close to home my rear Gov Loc 80 carrier decided it was done ,Luckly I had already bought a new one and just had to switch it out and finish my trip to Nashville to drop it off . it took 4 guys to lift it into place .:chevy:

Grumpy old man 06-22-2018 10:12 PM

Looks like we were typing at the same time :lol:

Palf70Step 06-22-2018 10:14 PM

Yep, Us old guys are slow on the keyboard. :lol:

We loaded mine with 3 people....but I was a good bit younger then.

jdl71 06-24-2018 12:23 PM

I've looked this sort of thing several times and determined if I can there and back in a day's time, that is really the most feasible option.

davischevy 06-24-2018 01:32 PM

I'm not the best person to ask, because I look for reasons for a road trip. Of course being retired and being able to take my time helps. I never come back the way I go.

wcstory 06-24-2018 05:24 PM

Hauling a 109" stepside bed on top of a 72" Silverado bed may not be ideal. I'm still thinking pulling the fenders and steps, then placing the stepside box in the bed with the tailgate down is the safest. The fenders and steps will go in the box, separated by movers blankets.

Besides the bride would have a fit if I scratched "Her" Silverado, that I bought her. She cant understand why were not putting the truck parts in my short bed Tacoma.... ;) I'd really get some ribbing going down the road in a Toyota with a 1960 era super long stepside bed strapped to the top of a short bed.

I let the seller know I'll be out on 7/1 to pick up the bed. We're off to Lancaster, Pa next Thursday. On the way back to Massachusetts I'm going to take a 6 hour detour to swing by Cleveland, OH.

wcstory 07-03-2018 12:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I didn't get any bites on my uShip ad so I decided to extend my long weekend trip and pick it up. Of course on the last hours of the auction I started getting questions and an offer or two, but it was too late to be of use.

I felt that with the length of the bed it would be better to remove the fenders and put the box in the bed right side up. While in Pa I picked up some 2x10s and pre-built a 50"x96" platform for the bed to sit above the wheel wells.

On 8:00 Sunday morning we left Lancaster, Pa to and headed to Wakeman, OH

At the sellers I screwed the bed support together. We loaded up the bed into the truck and strapped it down six ways using an excessive number of straps. I don't like any movement. Then I had to load all my wife's purchases into the open spaces like a game of packing tetris.

From Wakeman, OH we started back towards Massachusetts. We drove to Buffalo, NY. I had to throw in a stop at Niagara Falls to appease the bride. We arrive at our hotel at 11:00 pm, check in, drop our stuff and head back out. Wife has been promised Niagara Falls....and she is going.

I parked the truck by the Rainbow bridge and we walked across. You may wonder why I would walk across..... I didn't think approaching a border crossing loaded like the Beverly Hillbillys, carrying 20 or so plants and a decent amount of fireworks would be a good idea. ;) Vehicle seizures and federal charges are such a bummer.

I finally crawled into the wonderfully comfortable bed at Embassy Suites, Downtown Buffalo at just past 03:00 am on Monday morning. Damn I not used to doing days like that any more.

Up at 8:00 for breakfast and the packing to head home.

Made it home and unloaded everything. Oh am I going to be dragging arse tomorrow

Thanks everyone for the input

vetnat 07-03-2018 12:36 AM

Bed looks nice :)

Indian113 07-03-2018 06:44 AM

Good Job!

Palf70Step 07-03-2018 07:30 AM

Congrats on a successful mission.